Just back from first viking river cruise

sandemac

Just back from the Danube romantic on Viking Njord. Will do a review very soon. Just a quickie to say how fabulous it all was. Missed the floods, missed the strikes (by lots of effort from the Captain), great weather, superb tour guides. We were all thoroughly impressed, the cabin (steerage) was more than adequate and extremely comfortable. The food was wonderful as was the wine and cocktail selection!. But mainly, we had the best staff looking after us they really made the whole trip so very very special and none of us can thank them enough.

Thanks for the report. I am leaving for our Amsterdam to Budapest cruise on Thursday. How cool does it get in the evenings? I am bringing a polar fleece sweater and a thin but waterproof raincoat. Do I need something warmer? I hope to sit out on deck in the evenings. Do I need a warmer coat? It's 100+ degrees in my city today. I'm ready for some cooler temps.

Thanks for the report. I am leaving for our Amsterdam to Budapest cruise on Thursday. How cool does it get in the evenings? I am bringing a polar fleece sweater and a thin but waterproof raincoat. Do I need something warmer? I hope to sit out on deck in the evenings. Do I need a warmer coat? It's 100+ degrees in my city today. I'm ready for some cooler temps.

You can always buy a nice, warm Viking sweatshirt while on board :D. They have a small gift shop; sweatshirts, jackets, polo shirts, etc.

We all took thin fleeces/cardigans and wore none. Europe is going through a heatwave!! We did not sit out on deck much and even when we went ashore, no cover ups were needed. Amsterdam is around 24/25c at the moment and Budapest is warmest, 28 -31c.

Mind you, we are brits, so not used to good temperatures:o

Check the weather sites before you go.

• 4 weeks later...

I too am looking forward to your review, and no detail is too small or long! We are on this ship on the Romantic Danube sailing on December 28th from Budapest to Nuremberg.

From our Viking cruise last year, even the favorite crew members that are on the Njord would be nice to know about. Rene was excellent on the Helvetia last year, and we had some cabin, wait, and bar staff that were awesome...as well as Daniel the maitre d'.

Let's have it!! :D;):p

Have travelled with Viking a couple of times and LOVED them!!! We are actually booked for 2 yrs from now for their newest ocean cruiser.

Hate when folks have talked badly about Viking cause we had no problems with only the best of memories and funny stories!;)

Gret to read positive remarks about Viking! We leave in 2 weeks for Grand European cruise- our first river cruise!

I look forward to reading your review.

We're you able to pay the tips with credit card? With the 2 week cruise the tips are higher so we were hoping to use card vs having to get more euros!!

Thanks!

Gret to read positive remarks about Viking! We leave in 2 weeks for Grand European cruise- our first river cruise!

I look forward to reading your review.

We're you able to pay the tips with credit card? With the 2 week cruise the tips are higher so we were hoping to use card vs having to get more euros!!

Thanks!

You can pay the tips with your credit card.

Just back from the Danube romantic on Viking Njord. Will do a review very soon. Just a quickie to say how fabulous it all was. Missed the floods, missed the strikes (by lots of effort from the Captain), great weather, superb tour guides. We were all thoroughly impressed, the cabin (steerage) was more than adequate and extremely comfortable. The food was wonderful as was the wine and cocktail selection!. But mainly, we had the best staff looking after us they really made the whole trip so very very special and none of us can thank them enough.

and any hints you can give us.

burrma ~ making the slide show was SO easy it was almost embrassing to take credit for it!! Just google Trip Advisor Trip Wow and click on "create free slide show".

A few hints from my experience - if you don't mind. 100 photos seems to be a good number - realized that after I did the cruise show - that was my first one! I actually made 3 from that vacation - Paris, Cruise & Provence - thought three short ones was much better than 1 very long one!

Decide on your photos beforehand, enhance/crop them and maybe even put them in a seperate folder - I found that helpful! You have little control over the "gimmicks" - the way the photos appear - so I played around with that past to try and group certain towns/events/etc together. I don't download music but, if you do, you can add your own music.

Believe me, if I could do it anyone can!!! Here's some more:

Paris SlideShow

Provence Slide Show

Israel Slide Show

burrma ~ making the slide show was SO easy it was almost embrassing to take credit for it!! Just google Trip Advisor Trip Wow and click on "create free slide show".

A few hints from my experience - if you don't mind. 100 photos seems to be a good number - realized that after I did the cruise show - that was my first one! I actually made 3 from that vacation - Paris, Cruise & Provence - thought three short ones was much better than 1 very long one!

Decide on your photos beforehand, enhance/crop them and maybe even put them in a seperate folder - I found that helpful! You have little control over the "gimmicks" - the way the photos appear - so I played around with that past to try and group certain towns/events/etc together. I don't download music but, if you do, you can add your own music.

Believe me, if I could do it anyone can!!! Here's some more:

Paris SlideShow

Provence Slide Show

Israel Slide Show

Just watched the second one and still not convinced your version of EASY is equivalent to mine! They are so good; Love the little captions; will watch the others tonight. Anxious to try to make one. Nice feature from Trip Advisor; a site I really love. Thanks

If you haven't seen our October 2012 cruise here's the slideshow! We enjoyed it SO much we booked 2 more when we came home!!!

Cruise SlideShow

Just saw your slide show - FANTASTIC! We are doing the Danube this November for our first RC. If we do another RC I would like to do the same one you were on. My wife speaks fluent French and we always have wanted to see Paris and the south of France.

Thanks for sharing.

Wait a minute - isn't there another thread here on the forum saying what a terrible time they had taking your same trip. Hmmm.

Archived