Bermuda - Dolphin Quest

Varitek33

I'm planning on making a reservation at Dolphin Quest (directly since it's probably too late to book the excursion). I'm going with my 13 year old daughter. Does anyone have some feedback on the various programs that Dolphin Quest offers? Thanks.

Varitek33,

Go on line directly with Dolphin Quest. You will find the different types of programs offered depending on the time of year.

My cabin mate and I are not swimmers so we visited the Dolphin Quest which is located within the Maritime Museum to see what it was all about. Several times a day you can watch the program and get to speak with one of the trainers which we did. We also saw the daily medical checks that the dolphins get.

It is $10 to get into the Maritime Museum. If you have reservations for Dolphin Quest this fee is waived since you have paid for your program. You can return the same day as long as you hold onto your receipt. There is no food sold in this area. There are restrooms but no formal shower area. Dolphin Quest will hold onto your items while you are participating. Even if you cannot get reservations, it is still worthwhile visiting the Maritime Museum and to see the dolphins. The schedule should also be on line as well as the pricing.

Also, you may want to pay a visit to Snorkle Park which is just next door. There is a nice beach area. Our weather during the week of 5/29 was not exactly beach weather with temperatures in the low 70"s and the water temperature just about 70 degree with clouds and showers. Dolphin Quest operates daily regardless of the weather unless there is a storm in the area. As one of the trainers said, "The dolphins don't mind the weather." Up to April they provide wet suits.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do!

MARAPRINCE

We are going in August and I booked "The Encounter" directly with Dolphin Quest. I figured this program has a little more interaction with the dolphins than "the dip" which is the one that the ship offers. :)

Hi, Varitek33. I'd book it. It seemed like a fun program for those participating. I know that your daughter will remember it as a high point of her childhood. We observed it during our tour of the museum/fort, which was included in the $10 admission fee. They have plans to expand the Dolphin Facility in the future. As I undrstand it, the living quarters will move out past the exterior of the fort, through the tidal gates. I have a photo somewhere. Drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a couple of photos. Now, if you want a really fun Dolphin program, take the one in Isla de Margarita, Venezuela.

ENJOY!

Varitek33.........if you do go to Dolphin Quest, one of the trainers is a girl from Foxboro. She did her internship there and then they offered her a position. From the write up they did on her in the Foxboro Reporter it sounds like a wonderful experience.

My inlaws live in Bermuda and I have asked my stepdaughter to do some research on Dolphin Quest after reading the negative things said in this thread.

As soon as I hear back from her, I will post it here. Good, Bad, or indifferent.

Have a great time.

donna in MA

Thank you all for your input. Maoi, I'm going to book "The Encounter" also. This will truly be something my daughter will always remember. She's planning on being a veteranarian - so she's obviously a big animal lover. She will truly enjoy the experience (I'm looking forward to this also). Dondonma, thanks for the telling me about the trainer from Foxboro - it's always great running into fellow Bostonians (aka Red Sox fans, haha).

Surfgirl, I respect your position on Dolphin Quest in Bermuda. I'm also a concerned environmentalist, I guess I'll see first-hand what the situation is. Dondonma, I'd be interested in what your stepdaughter finds. Overall, I think this could be a valuable experience for my daughter. Thanks again!

Dondonma, thank you for your post. I live in Foxboro and vaguely remember an article in the Reporter. I am traveling to Bermuda July 13th with my husband and three children. Whatever you can post prior to the 13th would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Can someone who'd been to Dolphin Quest give me some idea of how much they charge for the photos they take of you with the dolphins? I understand they don't allow you to bring a camera, so if you want a pic you have to buy from them. I'd like to know how much money I need to plan to take.

Many thanks.

CruisinginAugust,

From what I understand, the people swimming with the dolphin can't take pictures, but if anyone in your group is not doing it, they can take picture from a platform around the pool. My DH and I are not swimming with the dolphins only our kids are, so I’m planning on taking pictures of them.

:)

Hi

We just came back from the Majesty today. We had a wonderful time......easy sail down and back. The weather was beautiful.

I did the Dolphin Dip and it was so much fun...There are lockers for you to put your things in and they keep the key until you are done with the program...

PICTURES: $16 for a 5x7

$75 for 5 pictures on a disk that you can print at home Anymore questions???

I spoke with my sister-in-law this weekend.....she does not remember seeing any "bad" press regarding the conditions at the dolphin encounter. She said that if there was any wrongdoing on the part of the owners you can believe that it would be in the papers. She lives close to Somerset but has not been to the Dolphin encounter personally. Her son and his children have and they did not see any bad conditions or inhumane treatment of the dolphins. They had a wonderful experience and would go again in a heartbeat.....

There are always people out there who no matter what you do they find fault with it....I think that is what is happening here. A couple of "animal lovers" who go to the extreme. No matter how many people tell them that no harm comes to the animals, they will always focus on the negative reports.

so.......do what your concience allows, if you believe that the dolphins are not cared for properly don't go. If you believe that they are treated well, have a great time.

dondonma

As planned, my daughter (13) and I did "The Encounter" at Dolphin Quest last week. I can't tell you how much she loved it. Besides being educational, it is something she'll remember forever.

Our trainer, Lexi, was excellent. We met with her after the session. I asked her about the conditions. She stated that it was a good thing that they were in the Dockyard location during one of the past hurricanes - since it offered great protection and was one the only place with electricity on Bermuda. The area does seem small, so the work being done to increase the size of the facility will be great. We were told that they are allowed to keep 12 dolphins at this location, but opt to have 10.

I was glad to learn that Dolphin Quest donates to relief efforts and other activities (over $2M to date). Lastly, they appear to do a great job caring for the dolphins!

We just booked this for our August trip. My kids are so excited to do this. How about the rest of the Aquarium? Did you spend much time there? Also, I have been told to check out the snorkel park next door. Did you do that?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, it was really hot when we were at Dolphin Quest -- and my wife and son waited for my daughter and I (they were dying...), so we didn't spend any additional time there. We didn't go to Snorkel Park, because we didn't bring water shoes (though next time we will). My plan was to see the whole island... so we took the bus down through the west end to Horseshoe Beach. Later on we took the bus back to Hamilton and then onto the Swizzle Inn. It was a great way to see the island. You'll love Dolphin Quest - enjoy!!!

We just booked this for our August trip. My kids are so excited to do this. How about the rest of the Aquarium? Did you spend much time there?

Oddly enough Dolphin Quest is not part of the Aquarium/Zoo but is instead part of the Maritime Museum at Dockyards. (No, don't ask me why :D ). The Aquarium is near Flatt's village, part way between Hamilton and St. Georges.

I guess we won't get to the aquarium. I'm looking forward to the snorkel park though. I think we'll just bring our own snorkel gear. I read that it's best to get there in the late afternoon, Any thoughts?

Thanks

We did the Fins and Flippers program on 7/12/05. It was only $90 but didn't include swimming with the dolphins, just interacting with them and feeding them.

The staff was terrific and my wife, who doesn't swim, had a wonderful time and says that it was the highlight of her vacation.

We saw a number of VERY disappointed people who thought that they would be able to just walk-in and get to do it.

...And I thought my teenage boys would really enjoy interacting with the dophins. The excursion I read about though sounded like it was in the ocean. To do the excursion from the ship is $185 per person. Is Dolphin Quest a way they can interact with dolphins up close for a lot cheaper? I'm just exploring options...

All of the cruise lines offer the same program in Bermuda and it is through Dolphin Quest. You aren't going to swim with dolphins in the ocean in Bermuda, at least not in the forseeable future (Dolphin Quest has received permission to build a 2.5 acre enclosure in the ocean...but there is some controversy because the enclosure will be close to where the mega-ships may dock).

I can fully understand surlgirl's sadness regarding the dolphin program. The dolphin enclosure is roughly the size of an Olympic-sized swimming divided into 4 or 5 pens.

Without wanting to open up the whole debate again, I would point out that all of dolphin quest's animals are born in captivity.

Just did the Dolphin Experience on Wednesday and would do it again in a heartbeat. Swimming with and interacting with the Dolphins is something that I will never forget. :)

Surfgirl, I believe you have made your point over and over again in this thread, but this is a forum for information about Bermuda, and what to do while in port. I could turn this around and ask you if you use cosmetics, wear leather (belts? shoes? jackets?), or eat meat, but I won't, because this is not the place for it.

Archived