Bermuda - Dolphin Quest

Varitek33

There's no better way to judge than to see for yourself. I don't trust anything written on the Internet when I can see it with my own eyes. I have a reservation to do the Dolphin Quest program at the end of August. Guess I'll decide for myself whether or not the conditions are inhumane.

scheduling help needed - Only in Bermuda 2 days - planned to do dolphin quest swim, museum and snorkel park one day and visit Hamilton/St George on the second day. Does this sound doable??? TIA

Kootz,

The Dolphin Quest is by the dockyard ( Kings Wharf), which is closer to Hamilton. The ferry ride is 30 mins.

Imedw,

Are you docked at Kings Wharf? If that is the case do Hamilton /St George the first day and Dolphin Quest and snorkel park the second day, since the ship leaves that day you will be near by.

Kootz,

The Dolphin Quest is by the dockyard ( Kings Wharf), which is closer to Hamilton. The ferry ride is 30 mins.

Imedw,

Are you docked at Kings Wharf? If that is the case do Hamilton /St George the first day and Dolphin Quest and snorkel park the second day, since the ship leaves that day you will be near by.

We'll be docked at Kings Wharf. The plan is to see Hamilton etc the first day and dolphin quest/snorkel etc the second. That way I would be done and back at the boat prior to the 5pm leaving time. Thanks for confirming my plan.

Unfortunately, it was really hot when we were at Dolphin Quest -- and my wife and son waited for my daughter and I (they were dying...), so we didn't spend any additional time there. We didn't go to Snorkel Park, because we didn't bring water shoes (though next time we will). My plan was to see the whole island... so we took the bus down through the west end to Horseshoe Beach. Later on we took the bus back to Hamilton and then onto the Swizzle Inn. It was a great way to see the island. You'll love Dolphin Quest - enjoy!!!

I have my own equipment (snorkel, fins, mask) but no water shoes. Are they necessary at this park? I really want to snorkel so if I need water shoes then I need to go shopping!!! (like I need an excuse!! - LOL)

TIA :confused:

By all means... DO the snorkel park, and skip the Dolphin Quest. Besides.. the snorkel park is free.

It gets very crowded, so the best time to go is after 3pm. Yes, it's very rocky... you will need either swim fins or aqua socks.

They do rent equipment. I brought my own.

In my opinion, it is some of the very best snorkeling I've ever done--including the other islands and Mexico. Enjoy!

Kootz,

Imedw,

Signed my hubby up for Dolphin Encounter. His time to be there is 10am. Can anyone tell me the ferry schedule for a Saturday from Hamilton to King's Wharf. What time should we leave the ship to get to the ferry?

• 1 month later...

the website showed options... the most expensive allows you to swim with a motorized scooter alongside the dolphins, as well as on your own. Is it worth the extra?

Also, what would be a good time to book? Morning or afternoon? and which day on the itinerary? I'm booked on October 1-8, Philly to Bermuda round trip.

Thanks for the info ... we're a group of 6 but 3 want to do the Dolphin Quest so it's good to know we can pay admission to the Museum and actually observe their fun.

BTW, we went to the Maritime Museum in 1999 and found it very interesting (but we really like doing 'museum' visits on vacation), and look forward to visiting again.

Is the snorkel park good for a beginner ? Never did it before ... We'll try to remember the water shoes for the snorkel park, too . Is there a beach area to just sit and watch at the snorkel park ?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

we ended up watching the swimmers with the dolphins, but did not participate. We had participated in a "swim with dolphins" program in Islamorada, FL and loved it. I remember thinking the FL facility was small. However, the Bermuda facility is smaller - VERY small, too small. The swimmers, from what I could tell, essentially stood there while the dolphins waved to them, or touched them, etc... I heard one participant complaining after she exited the pool. We went snorkeling at Tobacco Bay and by a shipwreck in Hamilton - both were great. I don't regret skipping the dolphins AT ALL.

My husband and I did the dolphin dip last Thursday. We thought it was a lot of fun. We swan along side of the dolphins and they swam around us, we also sat on the side to feed the dolphins. It is an experience we will never forget. It was a lot of fun.:p

• 1 month later...

Well my original post that started this thread was "I'm planning on making a reservation at Dolphin Quest (directly since it's probably too late to book the excursion). I'm going with my 13 year old daughter. Does anyone have some feedback on the various programs that Dolphin Quest offers? Thanks."

Thanks to the folks that provided me with the information I needed. As I stated earlier, my daughter and I went to Dolphin Quest and had a great time. I truly considered it a great experience for my daughter, since she is planning on becoming a veterinarian. Did the dolphins have a great time? In my opinion, yes they did. It has nothing to do with dolphins having mouths that are curved like smiles - it's more the 'feedback' that I received.

I am always respectful of everyone's opinion in my daily life, regardless of their position. Without the differing opinions of people and the debating that ensures, the USA would not be here today... Regarding the debate on dolphins kept in pens, I don't have the answer.

One thing that I am certain of is that my daughter and I experienced something together that day, which neither of us will forget. When my daughter becomes a veterinarian (or possibly a marine bioligst) she'll have more to say on this subject. I'll post an update in about 8 years when my daughter gets her license.

So I have to respect someone's opinion that cruelty to animals is OK? I don't think so.

I really did not see animal cruelty at all, the dolphins seemed content and playful. NO one was intentionaly cruel to them while we were there. The trainers seemed to care very much about the well being of the animals.

My opinion is NOT that animal cruelty is ok, my opinion is if you want to do it, do it. If you are so opposed to this, then don't.

For us it was a once in a lifetime experience, that we both enjoyed. We have also on previos vacations had our photos taken with a tiger cub, tiger, liger and a chimp. Some of the proceeds from the photos and Dophin Quest go to animal groups. So I see nothing wrong with going to these places. And I respect that you have a different opinion, but to each his own.

We really enjoyed the time we spent in Bermuda and at Dolphin Quest. We would recommend it to anyone who was ineterested in interacting with the dolphins. If it isn't for you, then don't do it!:p

• 4 weeks later...
By buying a ticket, you are supporting cruelty to dolphins. If someone put you in a tiny pen, fed you well but never let you out for your entire life-- you wouldn't consider that cruel? And, what if they put you in that pen without your family and friends?

I really suggest you read up on dolphins. They are very social animals with high intelligence. They swim in pods and need that social interaction as do humans for mental health.

Further, the small pools they are held in wreak havoc on their sonar. It is constantly bouncing from wall to wall-- causing terrible stress and confusion.

You can say "there are no weeds in my garden" until you turn blue, but it's not going to make them go away. Denial only eases your conscience, but it doesn't change the truth that these highly intelligent animals are suffering.

I think you have made your point here numerous times on this thread. I also understand that this is how you feel and you disagree with this program. Instead of constantly posting and trying to make those that have done this or plan to do it feel bad - why don't you contact the program itself and let them know how you feel? Even if you have to do it everday rather than keep on posting your negative feelings here. If there are some that read your post and decide not to do this excursion then good but you don't need to keep posting and posting and posting because I find it rather annoying. I think people get it after a few posts. I am sailing to Bermuda and I am considering this excursion and if that makes me a bad person then so be it.

I saw a show on a local channel - like NJN maybe or PBS and they were in Bermuda - guess where they went and filmed for all to see - at the Dolphin Discovery and they even swam with the dolphins. Didn't say one thing about the dolphins being treated poorly or being cramped.

Dolfinmusic, Our friends swam with the dolphins while we were in Bermuda and absolutely loved it ! Ourselves and another couple, all traveling together , paid the admission ($10) just to watch ... it was a great experience for us too. We were able to take pictures and video for them.

While there, don't forget to take in the museum and wander around ...

Have fun ...

Archived