Bermuda - Dolphin Quest

Varitek33

Surfgirl - I believe numerous people have responded to you regarding your question on whether the dolphins had fun. The dolphins actually did have a good time. No, that's not because dolphins have a jaw that makes them appear as though they're smiling - it's more the feeling that I received from them. Lastly, my daughter nor I caused any pain to them.

I believe it's also been mentioned that Dolphin Quest in Bermuda is expanding the dolphin's living area.

Continuing to berate and humiliate people really isn't going to help your cause. You've asked for documented feedback regarding dolphins. I've provided you lifespan information directly from a "Dolphin anti-captivity" organization. Your response?

I think we all know the response by now....

I have been mulling over the idea of asking this question for a couple of months but didn't want to get attacked but here it goes anyway. We will be in Bermuda in June with my 12 year old son. My son and husband are not great swimmers, so I wouldn't think they would feel comfortabe doing the swim. Do you think the encounter is worth it? Thanks for all your help and really don't need any negative responses, I've been reading this board for along time and read it all!

Hi Ginny, I can add my $.02 and tell you that our family visited Dolphin Quest last summer and my two girls, ages 8 and 10, swam with the dolphins. Both are swimmers, but not expert. All participants wore life jackets, fins and masks. Your son and husband will spend considerable time in the water. My girls were somewhat apprehensive of the size of the dolphins - they were much bigger up close and sometimes the dolphins would pop up unexpected but both girls had a great swim. We did not cruise to Bermuda so we chose to visit Dolphin Quest on a day when no cruise ships were in port. It definitely made a difference. We walked in and they had available slots for the next dip. I can imagine that when a ship is in port, the demand is much greater and we probably would need reservations. I hope your family enjoys Bermuda as much as we did. We are anxious to return.

Surfgirl - I believe numerous people have responded to you regarding your question on whether the dolphins had fun. The dolphins actually did have a good time. No, that's not because dolphins have a jaw that makes them appear as though they're smiling - it's more the feeling that I received from them. Lastly, my daughter nor I caused any pain to them.

How did you know they had a good time? Did they tell you? What kind of "feeling" did you get from them? Probably relief at getting fed a few dead fish because they're kept in a state of constant hungar all of the time in order for the trainers to get them to do circus tricks for you and your daughter's amusement. How do you feel about that?

And.. you didn't cause them any pain? You think being stuck in those tiny pens all day everyday don't cause pain? Being in a constant state of hunger isn't pain? You might want to rethink that.

I believe it's also been mentioned that Dolphin Quest in Bermuda is expanding the dolphin's living area..

Well good for them.. so why are they open NOW? And why have they been subjecting these poor, intelligent creatures to such cramped quarters for YEARS?

Kettle = Black

You've asked for documented feedback regarding dolphins. I've provided you lifespan information directly from a "Dolphin anti-captivity" organization. Your response?

And that is...?

How did you know they had a good time? Did they tell you? What kind of "feeling" did you get from them? Probably relief at getting fed a few dead fish because they're kept in a state of constant hungar all of the time in order for the trainers to get them to do circus tricks for you and your daughter's amusement. How do you feel about that?

And.. you didn't cause them any pain? You think being stuck in those tiny pens all day everyday don't cause pain? Being in a constant state of hunger isn't pain? You might want to rethink that.

Based on these statements, I am quite certain you know nothing about marine mammal training programs. You are condemning something that isn't happening. If you can't get your facts right - if you don't do your research - why should we believe anything you say?

For the record, marine mammal training does not involve a "constant state of hunger" - on the contrary, captive marine mammals are typically better-fed than those in the wild, and they are typically healthier due to receiving veterinary care.

The idea that performing animals are kept in a "constant state of hunger" is fallacious. Performing animals are usually quite well-cared for. Stating otherwise demonstrates ignorance of training practices.

I have been mulling over the idea of asking this question for a couple of months but didn't want to get attacked but here it goes anyway. We will be in Bermuda in June with my 12 year old son. My son and husband are not great swimmers, so I wouldn't think they would feel comfortabe doing the swim. Do you think the encounter is worth it? Thanks for all your help and really don't need any negative responses, I've been reading this board for along time and read it all!

I have never done a dolphin swim but if you and your family want to do it then go and have a great time!!!

Please note that I am not supporting one side or the other of this discussion. I did, however, want to present another perspective: this thread has interesting information. Read the posts by Rixx closely, as he/she has discussed the issue with a dolphin biologist named Marie.

Again, I am presenting this for informational purposes - take from it what you will.

Ginny0034 - Dolphin Quest provides life vests and there's minimal swimming involved. Your son and husband will not have a problem with it. They'll have a great time. Again, highly recommended.

Gopatriots - Love the screen name. I'm not too happy with the offseason changes for the Patriots - but "In Bill we trust". Go Patriots and Red Sox (good win yesterday)!

Surfgirl - I have tried to be polite when responding to your posts ("Kettle=Black"...). In fact, I've listened to your opinion, but unfortunately you don't listen to or respect anyone else's opinion. So far, you haven't responded to anyone directly - you just continue to put people down. I have to agree with Etoile, you don't know what you're talking about. I'd like a response to the lifespan issue that you brought up previously. I've provided information from an 'anti-captivity' dolphin group. Any comment?

Please note that I am not supporting one side or the other of this discussion. I did, however, want to present another perspective: this thread has interesting information. Read the posts by Rixx closely, as he/she has discussed the issue with a dolphin biologist named Marie.

Again, I am presenting this for informational purposes - take from it what you will.

Where are the posts by Rixx? On this thread? I looked but maybe I missed it?

I found the "rixx" thread to be interesting. I know I have been accused of "changing the subject", but I just want to reiterate that my stance here has always been the same. If Dolphin Quest is something you are interested in, you should check it out. For ME and MY HUSBAND it was a really good experience, we were in Bermuda for our 10th anniversary and swimming with the dolphins and helmet diving is NOT something you can do in Pittsburgh, so it was a special trip for us. If you find this activity heinous, then by all means don't do it. It really comes down to personal choices. There are a lot of things in this world I am not fond of, but if no one is breaking laws then I don't feel I have any right to tell someone else how they should or should not live their lives. That is the main problem I have with Surfgirl posts, she goes on the attack whenever someone does not agree with her position. I don't, I will do it again, because I personally did not have a problem with it.

As far as "if the dolphins are happy"?? Obviously they did NOT tell me they were, nor did them TELL me they weren't. Their stomachs did turn pink while we were petting them, from what I understand this is an indication of them having fun. I gave my observations from my day there, of course sufrgirl had to dissect everything I said and say that I was wrong, but those were MY observations.

To anyone that wants to do this, you can go to Dophin Quest's site and see the different programs that are offered and the prices for each. Plus there is some info on each and what to expect. :cool:

Thank you all for continuing to post on this thread and keeping it active so that people who have never done the dolphin swim will know how cruel it is.

I've posted facts, and nobody has been able to prove that these type of programs aren't cruel to the dolphins.

Nothing has been addressed regarding the cruel size of the pens (except to say that they're "building bigger ones"-- well great-- why is the place open NOW???? and has been for the past few years? Does this excuse it?)

Why has nobody addressed the constant state of hungar the dolphins are kept in in order to make them perform circus acts for a dead fish?

Why has nobody addressed the illnesses they can catch from humans and vice versa?

Why has nobody addressed the injuries suffered by humans regarding these swims?

Why has nobody addressed the mental stress these dolphins suffer being away from their pods (families)?

Why has nobody addressed the bouncing sonar problem?

Or the echoing problem with vocalizations?

Why? Because you all know how cruel this program is, and you're feeling guilty that you supported cruelty to dolphins.

Why? Because you all know how cruel this program is, and you're feeling guilty that you supported cruelty to dolphins.

Surfgirl, you are full of hot air. (As opposed to a different, four-letter word that people are often full of.)

You spew fallacies, including ad hominem attacks (see above quote), arguments from ignorance ("the dolphins don't say they like it, therefore they don't like it"), and straw-man arguments (also known as putting words in other peoples' mouths - you make stuff up and blame it on others). Everything you have said has been fallacious. Why should anybody listen to you when you are producing nothing but logical fallacies? Your arguments are completely made-up and your ad hominem attacks are ridiculous and insulting.

This thread could have been a great opportunity for you to educate people, but instead you just make yourself look disreputable by failing to argue your point effectively.

Why has nobody addressed the constant state of hungar the dolphins are kept in in order to make them perform circus acts for a dead fish?

Once again you are proving yourself incapable of reading anything anybody else posts. :rolleyes:

Rather than launch personal attacks, would you care to answer my questions and provide documented proof as I have done?

Oh that's right, you can't. So go ahead... soldier on. :D

Um, duh. I did answer one of your questions. It doesn't change the fact that you (a) didn't read my answer and (b) are posting fallacies.

And gee, would you care to answer the question about feeding the fish? I guess you can't answer that one either. :rolleyes:

Keep changing the subject because you can't answer my questions with scientific fact. But if launching personal attacks makes you feel less guilty, I understand. It doesn't bother me though. You have to respect someone in order to care what they say. :D

No... back to those questions. Shall I repost them for you?

Keep changing the subject because you can't answer my questions with scientific fact. But if launching personal attacks makes you feel less guilty, I understand. It doesn't bother me though. You have to respect someone in order to care what they say. :D

No... back to those questions. Shall I repost them for you?

Personal attacks??? Hello pot this is the kettle calling!!!:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Question for anyone who has been to Dolphin Quest....

Do you know the shedule for the dophin dip or swim with dolphins? My friend and I plan to visit the museum and to catch one or both of the programs. We will not be participating since neither of us swims. We just want to watch.

Thank you.

MARAPRINCE

TIMES FOR DOLPHIN QUEST

Can anyone tell me what time does the swim with the dolphin and the other non swim program happen?

We plan to go to the museum and then spend some time at Dolphin Quest before hitting the beach at Snorkle Park.

Would much appreciate hearing from someone who had done this or knows the times.

Thank you.

MARAPRINCE

Archived