TA and OBC

cruising1523

I had read on the board that all TA's can provide clients with OBC.

I asked my TA about it and this is her response: You had mentioned in a previous e-mail that the last time you had travelled on a cruise with CAA (Canadian version of AAA) Travel was through another office and that they had a gift (bottle of wine) waiting for your arrival in your stateroom. Unfortunately, the policy has changed and these types of gifts are only given once certain criteria are met, one being the individual cost of the cruise only fare; unfortunately, your reservation does not meet the criteria that has been set out.

Is this true?

Hello cruising1523 and welcome to Cruise Critic...

I don't know that all TAs provide OBCs for each and every booking. What's most important is the bottom line price. If one TA's price is $5000 while providing a $500 OBC while another quotes a price of $4500, your cost is pretty much the same.

So don't get hung up on bottles of wine or OBCs...it's the final cost that counts.

Incidentally, it has been my personal experience that, although AAA tries to compete for my business, their pricing falls short of their competitors. If you're happy with the pricing and service you're getting...fine. If not, there are a lot of fantastic TAs who provide a high level of service at great prices.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

That is the policy of your TA's agency (which, BTW, we are not supposed to name on the boards, ;) ). It is not the policy of Princess. The agency you are working with does not, in general, tend to give out much in the way of onboard credit or gifts. You might want to look into other agents/agencies with more generous policies and practices. The word 'discount' in their advertising would be a start.

for what its worth, I have never encountered a canadian ta who gives any kind of perks or even a discount. they may be out there, but they're hiding. i've had to go south of the border, using a wonderful US based ta and we do all our business online.

EDIT: I just saw your last post. 5 rooms and they could do nothing extra for you? i'd be checking out options.

and welcome to cruise critic, glad you found us!

We had booked 5 rooms so I was just wondering.

Again...if you're happy with the pricing, fine. If not, you can shops some other TAs who will discount.

As Paul mentioned above, you should be getting at least a 10% discount off Princess pricing...especially when booking five cabins. If you find a discount TA and you're happy with their pricing, your booking can easily be transferred to the new TA.

Lew

I had read on the board that all TA's can provide clients with OBC.

I asked my TA about it and this is her response: You had mentioned in a previous e-mail that the last time you had travelled on a cruise with CAA (Canadian version of AAA) Travel was through another office and that they had a gift (bottle of wine) waiting for your arrival in your stateroom. Unfortunately, the policy has changed and these types of gifts are only given once certain criteria are met, one being the individual cost of the cruise only fare; unfortunately, your reservation does not meet the criteria that has been set out.

Is this true?

From my research, the main Canadian travel agencies cannot offer the price that you can get with an online US agency. I was hesitant at first to try an online agency, but we have used them now for 4 years and have always got OBC as well as better prices that I could get through a Canadian agency.

Thank you for all your replies. We had booked 5 rooms so I was just wondering.

You booked 5 cabins and your TA gives you nothing ???????

Not even wine ???????

Wow !

Unless you are booking a 1 night cheapy cruise ,

your TA doesn't appreciate your business at all .

Princess allows TA's the flexibility to offer you a lower price upfront by rebating some comm. , SBC , Gift , ect.

I have been reserving cruises from an online agency based out of the US since 2005. THe Canadian TA's just cannot do the the volume to pass along savings. Face it, we love Canada, but some things the US just does better....volume discounting and welcome to CC.

Pam

I would consider booking with a US agent who discounts. They can save you $$$$. Many Canadians book in the US.

Also, when looking at pricing, look at the whole picture. A lot of OBC comes from group space. Agents can't have group space on every sailing. Agents can still discount Princess, they can provide money off of the top or provide OBC. I would rather have a cheaper price then a higher price with OBC if all is considered equal.

Totally agree...move your business. No, not sure all TA's offer obc's. It's their perogative. I will say that we would only use a web based agency when booking. After years of cruising, we have found two agents we go back to for pricing and service. A bottle of wine is NOT worth anything. Go for obc's or a great discount. Make sure you can cancel or change things without a fee with the agency and make sure all quotes you get include taxes and port fees.

Good luck!

Archived