Sail Away...Balcony or Deck

Smucci

I have to be out on deck for sailaway. I think it dates back to my youth when everyone was out on deck throwing streamers and there were hundreds of people on the dock waving you off.

I was thinking about this the other day - do they still throw streamers during sai away or no?

On Deck! My favorite spot is on the front so-called secret deck that has the overhangs on each side over the bridge. I like to shoot video and take pictures during sail away. Unlike a balcony, I can quickly walk to each side of the ship!

For us it's always (well, except for the first few cruises) on our balcony. We'd prefer our cruise start with a cold glass of wine or champagne from the comfort which a balcony can provide. We try to avoid crowds whenever possible, and this is one of those times.

Yes, we're in the minority!

We've cruised from Florida ports enough times that we've seen all that port/starboard can offer. We'll be in an aft corner for our Breakaway sailing out of NYC in September, so we'll be able to take it all in from there. When we don't have a corner and find ourselves sailing, one day, from foreign ports we might make the trek up top.

Tom

I always have a starboard balcony if possible. Depending on the port, I might be either there or on deck. If it's Ft Lauderdale, I'll be on deck port side for the fun of waving at the condo balconies full of people and banners seeing us off.

The worst place is to be at dinner when we sail out of any port.

This will be our third cruise, but first cruise with a balcony room. Where is the best place to be for the sailaway...our private balcony or on deck?

DH likes the sail away up on the deck. You can view more of what's going on higher up and more open.

This will be our third cruise, but first cruise with a balcony room. Where is the best place to be for the sailaway...our private balcony or on deck?

Since you have experienced two sailaways already, why not try the balcony as long as you have it -- that way you will answer the question for yourselves. You'll never know until you try.

We do both....whatever mood we are in. Also, depending on what our balcony is facing...portside? water? town/buildings? etc.

sometimes we enjoy just relaxing by ourselves and others we like the party atmosphere.

Sorry to bust into this thread but I'm new to these boards and don't really know how to navigate. I am taking my children and grandchildren on a spring break cruise on the Breeze in March 2014. I am looking for a zipline excursion for them in Mo Bay. It would be three adults and the children would be 10, 11, 12 , 14 & 19. Your picture and awesome caption on your zipline experience made me want to know all the details of your excursion, what company you used how did you book it price etc. Any info you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Archived