Children's Program

condor

Some of this comes down to your own preferences. Some people do not want kids, period. I actually prefer cruises with few children. However we still had a nice time on that Alaska cruise and we had a fantastic time on a holiday cruise with about 50 children on board on another luxury line. If one does not want to sail with children best to avoid holiday and many summer cruises. Original triplets were best for that or say Sea Dream.

Keith

As i said I now expect and accept kids on summer and holiday sailings which is why you will never find me on one. Even if we stipulate that the kids are having a FABULOUS time in the card room the problem arises when that venue is closed and the kids, after being cooped up in that tiny space need to exhaust their energy and do so by running around, screaming, pushing every button in the elevators, jumping around the pool, causing scenes in the restaurants yada, yada, yada. I know, YOUR children never behave that way but somebody's do because i have experienced this reckless, unsupervised behavior over and over.

As i said I now expect and accept kids on summer and holiday sailings which is why you will never find me on one. Even if we stipulate that the kids are having a FABULOUS time in the card room the problem arises when that venue is closed and the kids, after being cooped up in that tiny space need to exhaust their energy and do so by running around, screaming, pushing every button in the elevators, jumping around the pool, causing scenes in the restaurants yada, yada, yada. I know, YOUR children never behave that way but somebody's do because i have experienced this reckless, unsupervised behavior over and over.

So have we -- too many times.

We cruised with our kids when they were young, but always on large ships with kid programs. Also, we supervised them when not in the program -- would never have dreamed of stuffing them in a small card room.

I think it is sad that we have to avoid Christmas and school holiday periods to get what we paid for -- an enjoyable cruise. But as long as there are apologists on these boards and on the ships for unruly children, it will always be so.

It is my wish that Seabourn (and SeaDream, et al.) would grow the courage to have at least one ship adults only. Or even selected voyages adults only. Saga does it, P&O does it, various resorts do it, heck I even live in an age restricted area. I would certainly sign up for adults only. Might even pay a bit more for the privilege.:eek::D

It is not going to happen. The opportunity was there with the original triplets. It is not going to happen now.

As to kids my only advice is to sail times of the year where there are very few if any children. Personally forgetting kids we avoid place such as the med in the summer because of all of the tourists and sweltering heat. We prefer April, September and October for the Portland the added benefit is very few if any children.

Keith

It is not going to happen. The opportunity was there with the original triplets. It is not going to happen now.

As to kids my only advice is to sail times of the year where there are very few if any children. Personally forgetting kids we avoid place such as the med in the summer because of all of the tourists and sweltering heat. We prefer April, September and October for the Portland the added benefit is very few if any children.

Keith

I agree. But with the caveat that cruise staff do not let children run wild. If I go to the trouble of cruising off the main school-break seasons to avoid large groups of unruly children, I should be able to expect a peaceful vacation.

In that regard, I find it ironic that while Seabourn and other luxury lines send me flyers promoting deeply discounted summer cruises because their ships are too empty, all they have to do is promise adult-only sailings to get my business (and at much higher rates) during the summer.

Just for clarification:

The card room is closed from 6-7:30 and from 9-11 p.m. for the Kids Club. It doesn't occur during the day, except for sea days.

There are two counselors who have different scheduled activities for the kids during those times, at least on the Quest. The kids seem to love it. It's not just kids being stuffed into a room, but I do agree it's not at all like ships which have scheduled kids programs.

I know I am not going to convince any of you who do not think parents should take their children on a Seabourn cruise to do so.

I find it interesting though that some are jumping to the conclusion that the children are not happy or the parents are just dumping them because they are in a room with Seabourn staff. Julie this is not in response to your post. It is in response to the posts assuming that the kids were somehow being neglected.

We took a Silversea Cruise of Alaska. There were a lot of kids on board. In fact, a record for them at the time. They did the same thing. They used a room and created a children's program. The kids who I spoke with really enjoyed it.

Now, if it was me as I said I wouldn't take younger ones on cruise lines without official programs but they are not me. It is their choice but this demonizing of the parents and assuming the kids are being neglected I do not agree with. Likely the kids are having a great time and would be upset if their parents did not let them go into this program that was set up for them.

Now, for those who want official programs during the summer and holidays, there is at least one cruise line, Crystal that has a room for the kids that is designed for children and brings on board counselors and has a program for them.

Keith

Sandy on our recent Sojourn the card room was closed continuously!

After 6 pm I was either dressing for at at Dinner, and after dinner i was either enjoying the view from our suite or catching zzz.

each time I went past it was during the day and more than once and not a sea day, we only had one of those.

TBH i doubt on our cruise it was actually used by the kids, maybe sea day, as they all seemed to get off for experiences (and so they should)

Oh and the kids on our cruise were fantastic except for that baby issue...

Just for clarification:

The card room is closed from 6-7:30 and from 9-11 p.m. for the Kids Club. It doesn't occur during the day, except for sea days.

There are two counselors who have different scheduled activities for the kids during those times, at least on the Quest. The kids seem to love it. It's not just kids being stuffed into a room, but I do agree it's not at all like ships which have scheduled kids programs.

Sounds like what happened on our Silversea cruise.

For those voyages where there were several kids they brought on counselors and used one of the rooms and had a program for them. Yes, on the sea days.

Keith

One of the Seabourn cruise directors told me they will promote "family" sailings especially during holidays/summers. This has been an untouched area for Seabourn in the past and is a chance for increased revenue. However, they do have to provide activities etc for the kids at least part of the day. My partner and child are sailing on the Crystal Antartica Christmas cruise. There will be over 40 children on this cruise - ages 3-18 and the sailing is sold out for the most part. If Seabourn's Antartica cruises had dates which fit better with school holidays I suspect the frequent discounts, upgrades etc would not be offered as the sailings would be full. Seabourn can no longer ignore families/kids from a business standpoint. However, it is important they design a program that keeps kids happy and occupied. It makes it better for all involved. I also must say Crystal's child program works but is not optimal. As far as parents being responsible for children's behavior - I absolutely agree.

Chris

One of the Seabourn cruise directors told me they will promote "family" sailings especially during holidays/summers. This has been an untouched area for Seabourn in the past and is a chance for increased revenue. However, they do have to provide activities etc for the kids at least part of the day. My partner and child are sailing on the Crystal Antartica Christmas cruise. There will be over 40 children on this cruise - ages 3-18 and the sailing is sold out for the most part. If Seabourn's Antartica cruises had dates which fit better with school holidays I suspect the frequent discounts, upgrades etc would not be offered as the sailings would be full. Seabourn can no longer ignore families/kids from a business standpoint. However, it is important they design a program that keeps kids happy and occupied. It makes it better for all involved. I also must say Crystal's child program works but is not optimal. As far as parents being responsible for children's behavior - I absolutely agree.

Chris

this sounds as if Seabourn will soon be off the list for those of us who wish to cruise in a more adult atmosphere.:eek:

Chris

40 children on a large ship that carries 920 passengers like Crystal is reasonable. But try that on Seabourn, SeaDream, and Windstar, and suddenly there is an issue, especially if some of the kids are unruly. I'm happy to cruise off the peak school holiday breaks to avoid being disappointed. But cruise lines who cater to children outside of these holiday periods will not retain my custom.

There are many children on board and supposedly a program has been created for them. Unfortunately, the poor little tikes are put into the card room with a staff member and kept there until mommy comes back to fetch them...Seabourn is not designed for children and this feeble attempt at a children's program is pathetic.

I'll get flamed for this;

Bravo to SB for NOT encouraging bringing kids aboard.

SB is not kid friendly and I hope they keep it that way.

Parents who want to cruise with kids ought go to those that have special programs and amenities for kids and families.

"I like children fried." - W.C. Fields

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Holiday and summer sailings are good for school age children. That said, it doesn't address preschoolers (6 and below in the US). Toward the top of that age range, children can sail anytime of year and could benefit from a child program.

As a pragmatist, I don't foresee fewer children on SB sailings. The challenge for SB will be to minimize the impact of those children on SB customers who'd rather not have them on board.

In addition to physical measures that can be taken with the ships, I think a clear, well communicated and emphasized policy of parent responsibilities would be steps in the right direction.

Those who deem coexistence with children untenable will, of course, weigh the impact of children on their cruises with the challenge of replicating the SB experience elsewhere.

Holiday and summer sailings are good for school age children. That said, it doesn't address preschoolers (6 and below in the US). Toward the top of that age range, children can sail anytime of year and could benefit from a child program.

As a pragmatist, I don't foresee fewer children on SB sailings. The challenge for SB will be to minimize the impact of those children on SB customers who'd rather not have them on board.

In addition to physical measures that can be taken with the ships, I think a clear, well communicated and emphasized policy of parent responsibilities would be steps in the right direction.

Those who deem coexistence with children untenable will, of course, weigh the impact of children on their cruises with the challenge of replicating the SB experience elsewhere.

While not against children in all forms:eek:, I do have a problem with the small (er) ship luxury lines going child friendly. The problem being in the design and marketing of said luxury ships. As a lifetime Cunard sailor, I can say that I have traveled as a kid, taken my own kids, and sailed as an adult without them. No problems due to the existence of dedicated spaces and staff for the kids. There are also adult areas where children are prohibited. Back to the small luxury ships (specifically Seabourn and SeaDream). When kids are on board, they are all over the ship. Great that they turn the card room into a kid playground but good luck getting them to stay there unless you lock the door from the outside.:eek: This of course forces me to "coexist" with the little darlins when marketing never mentioned that nor did I sign up for it when I paid a premium price. If this is in fact the new way, there are lines that have adult only policies, ships, or voyages which will satisfy the ship urge as well as many very nice all inclusive resorts in beautiful locations world wide that cater to adults only. Seabourn (and SeaDream) will then be a not very efficient family cruise ship. A sort of Mini Disney if you will but without Mickey and Minnie.:eek::D

I have said over and over the problem is not the kids themselves, it's their entitled parents who leave them unsupervised and unreprimanded when they misbehave. Perhaps along with the muster drill SB should impose a drill for parents on how to take care of their young while on board.

While not against children in all forms:eek:, I do have a problem with the small (er) ship luxury lines going child friendly. The problem being in the design and marketing of said luxury ships. As a lifetime Cunard sailor, I can say that I have traveled as a kid, taken my own kids, and sailed as an adult without them. No problems due to the existence of dedicated spaces and staff for the kids. There are also adult areas where children are prohibited. Back to the small luxury ships (specifically Seabourn and SeaDream). When kids are on board, they are all over the ship. Great that they turn the card room into a kid playground but good luck getting them to stay there unless you lock the door from the outside.:eek: This of course forces me to "coexist" with the little darlins when marketing never mentioned that nor did I sign up for it when I paid a premium price. If this is in fact the new way, there are lines that have adult only policies, ships, or voyages which will satisfy the ship urge as well as many very nice all inclusive resorts in beautiful locations world wide that cater to adults only. Seabourn (and SeaDream) will then be a not very efficient family cruise ship. A sort of Mini Disney if you will but without Mickey and Minnie.:eek::D

I agree that if SB intends to continue allowing children they need to as I said, and I think most would agree, better ensure that children are properly supervised.

I'm reminded of a situation 22 years ago when we moved to Maryland and a new church parish. The church asked another young family to come to our home to "welcome" us. Within 10 minutes their 7 year old son found a toilet cleaning brush and commenced to run around the house hitting everything in sight with it. Mary and I glared at the parents clearly signaling they needed to take action. After 30 seconds with no action I had to ask the child to put it back where he found it.

There will always be parents who are unwilling/unable to properly supervise their children. SB clearly needs to communicate to parents acceptable and unacceptable behavior of children, where they're allowed and where they're not when they're aboard and then closely monitor the behavior.

or that the parents did not respond some form of new age parenting rubbish such as " Oh we think it is beneficial for Johnny to feel unconstrained as he broadens his horizons and enriches his psyche through unfettered exploration of his environment."

You're lucky the child put the toilet brush back where he found it and not somewhere less appreciated.

Even children that young can sense their well being is in danger. Although the tike looked like no one had ever looked at him, or talked to him the way I did, his primal instinct knew he was in peril. You know the old saying "if looks could kill...."

I hope I don't have to resurrect that look on any SB cruise, but I haven't forgotten how.

or that the parents did not respond some form of new age parenting rubbish such as " Oh we think it is beneficial for Johnny to feel unconstrained as he broadens his horizons and enriches his psyche through unfettered exploration of his environment."

Yes, sadly that's a possibility. That type of encouragement can only lead to a psychopath waiting to happen.

I agree with you Jim. If there are just a few, well behaved children on a small luxury ship cruise, no problem. But I am seeing more and more children on small luxury ships that market themselves as adult cruises. Just look at the web sites or printed brochures for Seabourn, SeaDream, Regent, etc. and all you see are photos of adults and descriptions of adult activities. If they instead had photos of kids invading the pool, spa and buffet, and descriptions of all the programs for kids, we would know to avoid them. But some of these cruise lines want to have their cake and eat it too.

I think part of the problem is there are kids who are perfectly capable of being on and enjoying small ships without destroying the holiday of others.

large groups of adults travelling together can be equally inconsiderate.

HOWEVER, kids clubs tend to start off a social group of kids that may not have existed on Day 1 or 2 and by day 3 a group of kids suddenly invade the pool zone. having a kids club will do 2 things: attract more kids and make the journey less pleasant for those without. Even the big ships are not large enough to escape the kids

IMO SB should not provide anything for the kids, if the parents wish to cruise on an adult style line then they kids have to behave like adults. The parents gave birth, it's their responsibility to parent.

I wonder if SB has done any market research?

I know my 2 adult "kids" wouldn't book if the cruises became kid friendly. And I'm sure this should be part of the market that SB is looking to grow.

Archived