9:10 AM flight from FLL off Legend

I'm using FF miles. We are off the Legend on Friday Feb 14. I have on hold 2 tickets for 9:10 AM the same day. I also have tickets the next day (Sat), same flight, necessitating overnight in FLL. Anybody make a 9:10 flight? We are Diamond, but if we do self disembarkation, taxi is only maybe 10 minutes from FLL. We live in AZ, so it is a whole day adventure to get back home. I have 4 days to decide about the 9:10 flight on Friday, the Sat flight and hotel are already booked but can be changed. Hubby and I are not exactly on the same page here, so opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I'd stay over and fly the next day. The same day 9:10 flight would be uncomfortably early for me. Have been on ships with delayed arrivals and well as disembarkations suffering customs delays, so I would not take that chance unless I had a Greta back up plan.

In order to check luggage for a flight at 9:10 you would have to be there by 8:10. My cabinmate was in the first wave off of the Independence besides the carry your own bags folks and was at the airport about 8:15 or 8:20. I would worry the entire trip about making that flight. Customs sometimes clears the ship very quickly and sometimes it can take a bit longer.

The ONLY way you can possibly make that is to carry your own luggage down the stairs. As nice as it would be to get on home, I would not do it.

On the Allure in October and we're going to chance a 8:55am flight, but also booked a 2PM just in case. Thankfully, SWA doesn't charge a cancellation and/or re-booking fee.

If SWA airfare goes down, do they give you a credit or refund? I'm having the same concerns on my return flight.

We are leaving on the Allure on Sunday from FLL, and we just got an email saying that the disembarkation process is taking longer than usual due to cuts in customs staff - and we have been asked to not show up at the dock until 12:30. That would make me think that trying to get such an early flight is a huge risk?

We are leaving on the Allure on Sunday from FLL, and we just got an email saying that the disembarkation process is taking longer than usual due to cuts in customs staff - and we have been asked to not show up at the dock until 12:30. That would make me think that trying to get such an early flight is a huge risk?

That email has been sent out since the cut backs started months ago. Boarding has generally started by 11:30 from what I've read here. For our Oasis cruise, we were told at check in boarding would start at 11;15, it started at 12. We were on board by 12:15.

Going through the customs line, I heard officials saying they were 500 guests "ahead" and to get the rest of the folks off the ship. This was at 10:20.

If SWA airfare goes down, do they give you a credit or refund? I'm having the same concerns on my return flight.

SW will give you credit if your flight drops. There are some "gotchas" though...

1) You need to request it, they don't do it automatically. This can be done on their website.

2) The credit goes to the name on the ticket, NOT the person who paid for it.

3) The credit needs to be used within a year of the ORIGINAL booking, not when the credit was applied nor when the trip was taken. (If you booked your March '14 flight in November '13, and the price drops in February '13, you need to use the credit by November '14.

That email has been sent out since the cut backs started months ago. Boarding has generally started by 11:30 from what I've read here. For our Oasis cruise, we were told at check in boarding would start at 11;15, it started at 12. We were on board by 12:15.

Going through the customs line, I heard officials saying they were 500 guests "ahead" and to get the rest of the folks off the ship. This was at 10:20.

Thank you, that's good to know. My MIL still wants to get to the dock for 11am, and I was thinking that's going to be a long wait, but maybe not as long as I thought. :)

I am usually pretty optimistic whe it comes to making flights but I wouldn't book that one. Nope. My last evening aboard ship would be ruined thinking about that flight time. In fact, a few other evenings before the last one might be ruined also.

If you do self disembarkation, you could probably get off as early as 630-7 depending on when the ship clears customs. We did self disembark, didn't end up leaving Oasis until 8, and was at the airport by 830. I think you'd be fine to make that flight, as long as you can handle a wee bit of stress until you're actually at the gate.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm using FF miles. We are off the Legend on Friday Feb 14. I have on hold 2 tickets for 9:10 AM the same day. I also have tickets the next day (Sat), same flight, necessitating overnight in FLL. Anybody make a 9:10 flight? We are Diamond, but if we do self disembarkation, taxi is only maybe 10 minutes from FLL. We live in AZ, so it is a whole day adventure to get back home. I have 4 days to decide about the 9:10 flight on Friday, the Sat flight and hotel are already booked but can be changed. Hubby and I are not exactly on the same page here, so opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

We were looking at a flight at 9:25 that same morning which is non-stop. We are thinking too early...even if we carry off our luggage, which we almost always do. Instead...we are looking at a 10:50 flight with a 1.5 layover. A much better chance of making this one.

So if we would get to the airport bright and early...could we see if there are extra seats on the 9:25 flight (assuming we are ticketed on 10:50 flight) ...would we have to pay more to bump up to this earlier time? I am going to call Southwest and ask their procedure.

My sister booked a 8:30 flight from FLL when she got off the Indy this past January, and did self-disembark, got off at 6:15, 10 minutes to the airport where there were no lines, and waited hour and a half till her flight at 8:30!:D So it can be done as long as there are no glitches, and as long as you are one of the first off the ship there should be no lines at customs to get to the taxi to the airport. I thought she was crazy, but she was home by the time I got on the plane for my 12:30 flight home! Good Luck!:D

Keith

On our most recent cruises (March & June) the customs process was considerably slower due to "sequestration" and fewer agents checking passengers. That alone would give me major concern about making such an early flight.

If the disembarkation is slightly delayed (even if you are carrying off your own bags, there may be a delay with Customs), then you will most likely miss the flight. We cruise from Port Everglades often and the disembarkation at times is slow because Customs agents don't arrive as early as anticipated so that can delay your arrival at the airport.

There have been references in earlier postings about the Oasis and Allure. Each of those ships are the first to arrive in FLL and should not be used to be used as a benchmark.

Stay the extra day - too many things can go wrong.

Bob E

There have been references in earlier postings about the Oasis and Allure. Each of those ships are the first to arrive in FLL and should not be used to be used as a benchmark.

Stay the extra day - too many things can go wrong.

Bob E

It doesn't matter what ship sails in first at 4:30 AM. Almost all of the ships will be in before any of them starts disembarking passengers. And the past two years we sailed in to Port Everglades on Navigator and Independence ahead of Allure.

Archived