Help A First Time + Solo Cruiser Pick a Cruise!

miss206baby

Hello CC!

After having no luck trying to convince family members and friends to go on a cruise with me, I decide I'll be brave and go cruising solo! This will be my first cruise and even though I've done some searching and reading reviews, I'm hoping some of you more experienced cruisers can help direct me to a fun cruise.

Some things I would like to have:

• Younger Crowd - I'm 27, single female
  • Medium/Large ship - The more the merrier right?!
  • Itinerary - Between 4-7 days, prefer Bahamas/Caribbean etc
  • Budget of $400-$700 for the cruise
  • Between Oct 17-Dec 1st. (I have sabbatical from work during this time. WOO!) If there is a better deal, I could go in September.

Considering the above, which cruise ship/itinerary is best? I was on the verge of booking a 5 day cruise from Port Canaveral, FL to Bahamas for $516 on the Carnival Ecstasy but I don't know the crowd or the ship. Are there better deals I don't know of for what I'm looking for? I have been obsessing about going on a cruise for weeks! Any help would be appreciated.

Hello CC!

After having no luck trying to convince family members and friends to go on a cruise with me, I decide I'll be brave and go cruising solo! This will be my first cruise and even though I've done some searching and reading reviews, I'm hoping some of you more experienced cruisers can help direct me to a fun cruise.

• Between Oct 17-Dec 1st. (I have sabbatical from work during this time. WOO!) If there is a better deal, I could go in September.

Considering the above, which cruise ship/itinerary is best? I was on the verge of booking a 5 day cruise from Port Canaveral, FL to Bahamas for $516 on the Carnival Ecstasy but I don't know the crowd or the ship. Are there better deals I don't know of for what I'm looking for? I have been obsessing about going on a cruise for weeks! Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Miss206baby. Are you aware there are not single rate for cruisers? The $516 rate you saw for the Carnival Ecstasy will be doubled.

I did a sample search on the Carnival Ecstasy and a 5-day cruise listed at $339 for an inside cabin for a single traveler will still run you $755 with taxes and port fees.

You might consider trying to book the new Norwegian Cruise Line Breakaway which sails from New York City to the Bahamas on 7-day runs and features single cabins.

Try and sit down with a travel agent that specializes in cruises and see if they can book you on the Breakaway or work out a deal for you. It does cost you anything to book through an agent or to speak with one for that matter.

You're better off on a 7-day cruise as the shorter 4-days cruises tend to be just party cruises.

Good Luck.

Jonathan

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Carnival often attracts a younger demographic than many of the other mainstream cruise lines. Norwegian also gets a lot of younger and single cruisers. Was the price on the Carnival ship the single price? Fares around $100 a night for a single is a very good price.

Hope you find a great cruise!

I don't have a recommendation with you as I've only cruised with Princess and as part of a couple, but I would recommend to take a 7 day cruise if you can...I find that even the 7 day cruises seem short to me, so I would imagine that a 4 day one would seem like it was over too quickly! I've been cruising since my early 20s and I'm now in my early 30s and have always been happy with Princess - but I would check out some of the other cruise lines too. Friends of mine have sailed with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and had a great time, too!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As mentioned -- stay away from cruises that are shorter than 7 days.

Also -- you mentioned that you will be a solo cruiser. Are you booking a cabin just for yourself? If yes -- find out what the single rate will be -- they are usually quite high for a person not sharing a cabin.

I've done more than 30 cruises as a solo and I can tell you, it's not cheap. Cruise cabins are based on double occupancy, so the fare you see is for one person---solos have to pay for two. So, if it says the cabin per person fare is $500, you'll be paying near to $1000, minus the second person port taxes. The Solo Studio cabins (those are cabins exclusively for solo cruisers) on NCL Epic or Breakaway probably won't work because they start at $999 for 7 days.

I agree with those who say to stay away from cruises under 7 days for a couple of reasons. One is that those ships tend to be the oldest of the fleet and don't have all the amenities of newer ships. Second, those 4 day cruises tend to be party till you puke cruises where people shove 7 days of partying into 4 days of cruising.

Cruise lines that tend to attract younger people are Royal Caribbean, Carnival and NCL. You may want to find a good local travel agent who might be able to find you a good deal.

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. Yes, I do know that prices per cabin are for double occupancy. However, the trip I looked at was specifically for one person. From the way it sounds, the trip I initially mentioned might not be a bad deal.

However, I will definitely be taking a look at Royal Caribbean and NCL as well as consider a longer 7 day trip. I had thought 5 days would be good for now because I'm not sure how comfortable I'll be going on a trip by myself as well as if I hate sea-life (which I hope I won't) I wouldn't be on the trip for too long.

I like Carnival and most of my cruises are with that line. That being said -

I agree with those who say to stay away from cruises under 7 days for a couple of reasons. One is that those ships tend to be the oldest of the fleet and don't have all the amenities of newer ships.

True. However, the ships are clean and well maintained and I don't need a zipline or tequila bar to enjoy my cruise. :)

those 4 day cruises tend to be party till you puke cruises where people shove 7 days of partying into 4 days of cruising.

Not necessarily. I have done a bunch of cruises shorter than 7 days and don't recall anything standing out that promoted the 'party till you puke' mentality. Yes, it can happen, but I wouldn't rule out the shorter cruises based on that.

And besides the cruise itself, you know to fly in the day before, correct? ;) :D

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

I like Carnival and most of my cruises are with that line. That being said -

True. However, the ships are clean and well maintained and I don't need a zipline or tequila bar to enjoy my cruise. :)

Not necessarily. I have done a bunch of cruises shorter than 7 days and don't recall anything standing out that promoted the 'party till you puke' mentality. Yes, it can happen, but I wouldn't rule out the shorter cruises based on that.

And besides the cruise itself, you know to fly in the day before, correct? ;) :D

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Thanks for your comments. After reading all the reviews and watching vlogs etc, I decided to book the cruise I initially was looking at. I think $516 (including taxes/travel insurance) was a good deal for a 5 night cruise. The other cruise lines were significantly higher and shorter.

Yes, I do plan on flying in the day before (thanks to all the reviews I've read!)

Hello CC!

I am 26 and was in the same situation.... After much roaming on CruiseCritic.com I figure the best place to go will be the Caribbean... during April, May and Summer Months...... They say the shorter the Cruise the more of a Party atmosphere.... Soooo I did it!!! Booked my first cruise, I will be solo on Carnival Victory 4-14-2014 (will be 27yrs old by then) from Miami to Nassau, The Half Moon Cay, and Grand Turk.... Can't wait.....

Go and book the Carnival Ecstasy, that's a great deal and you will meet many people your age. I have done a few solos and I recommend once you book a cruise come back to CC and find your Roll Call and chat with others on your sailing.

Archived