Galveston sailing

Funbobby68

Hey all thinking about booking a cruise out of Texas and wonder what's the best airport to fly into and how long is the transfer from airport to dock also the ship is the navigator , how does it compare to the radiance of the sea ,also would this be a cruise that would be one of those must have balcony sailings Oh ya it's the western Caribbean

Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Another Cruise Critic thread last week>[

URL=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1884803]Navigator of the Seas - Opinions on the Ship/Port Needed[/url] (multipage.gif1 2)

George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) is about 70 miles to the port.

Major Airlines serving George Bush Airport:

http://houstonbush.com/airlines.html

If you are flying direct from Canada - George Bush Intercontinental Airport

William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) is about 40 miles to the port.

Major Airlines serving William P. Hobby Airport: http://houstonhobby.com/airlines.html

What I'm looking for is a 7night maybe feb or march , could either fly out of Vancouver or Seattle , most likely out of Seattle it's a bunch cheaper have sailed Alaska 4 times and the 5th one is already booked for may , but would like to try something new , just I find that the plights to the east coast are costly and long , ideally would like to fly in on the sail date (does that seam unreasonable )

Thanks

Funbobby

What I'm looking for is a 7night maybe feb or march , could either fly out of Vancouver or Seattle , most likely out of Seattle it's a bunch cheaper have sailed Alaska 4 times and the 5th one is already booked for may , but would like to try something new , just I find that the plights to the east coast are costly and long , ideally would like to fly in on the sail date (does that seam unreasonable )

Thanks

Funbobby

Coming out of BC thru Seattle . Same day arrival I won't recommend . If the weather in the Seattle or Vancouver weather gets nasty ( have experienced) you flight might not get out or be delayed. The only way would is to take a red eye from Seattle or Vancouver to arrive in time. We have flown from both Seattle and Vancouver . A 8AM departure gets you into Texas about 3PM . If you leave Seattle at at 8AM you'll arrive in Houston at 2:30pm . You'll need time to collect bags and transfer to the ship . If you left at 6AM you'll arrive around noon. You'll still not have a lot of room for problems.

First, welcome! We have enjoyed numerous sailings from this port but we are close enough to drive from Arkansas. My advice from a non fly in point.

Geo Bush, IAH is the larger airport located in North Houston. AS posted it is considerable distance to Galveston, across town then down I45 to the port. Hobby is the smaller airport on the south side of town right off I45south. I am sure that transfers can be arranged from either for a price. Both airport have areas that I would prefer not to book a hotel in so look around if you plan to stay pre or post cruise. One near Hobby i think actually offers a transfer package if you are looking at flying in and out without sightseeing.

I would fly in early and rent a car to enjoy Houston and the gulf coast area, eliminating the need for precruise transfer. Houston has a lot to offer visitors, and some fine Texas cuisine from BBQ, Steaks, Mexican Food and Gulf Seafood like shrimp brochette at Pappadeux to fried green tomatoes at Goode Company Seafood. We have been traveling to Houston for years being treated at M D Anderson Center on and off since 1989. Theatre, shopping, museums, omg, the rodeo in March, You might go nuts visiting then but be sure and get a room NOW.. Rice University campus. You can tell we have enjoyed our trips and will again this Sept for ckup and again in spring to take the Navigator from the year round Texas port again.

Post Cruise. You will have to ck and be sure that you could rent a car on Sunday in Galveston. Some are only open Mon-Sat if you wanted to drive back to the airport or you may just plan a stay in Galveston for their Mardi Gras celebration, where it actually started in the south.. OR, you may want to fly to New Orleans, take it in and sail on the RCCL ship their from Sat - Sat, drive to Galveston, Take the Navigator Sun - Sun then do your Houston thing and leave from there or drive back to NOLA, you can't tell i like traveling.

Weather- Winter in Texas can be cool to cold. Fog along the bay in the mornings. Sometime the last day at sea might be coolest but the other days aboard will be fun. We have sailed these ships and look forward to seeing them after dry dock.

Have a great time. Be glad to help answer any questions if i can. LRSkier

Irskiee you had me at Mexican food LOL , I will research dates and flights and my have a few question about accomodation ect , would think that would take the night flight from Seattle arrives in Texas at like 6am so plenty of room for error

Cheers

Funbobby

1. Come on on Saturday. Stay on the island. You can check transfer prices from both Hobby and Bush. Hobby will be dramatically cheaper. Try Galveston limo or Super Shuttle.

2. Staying on the island...Plan on dinner at Guido's ...great seafood and superior adult beverages....make a reservation.

3. Sunday morning..head over to Post Office street...a couple of really grat coffee shops...taxi over there and then to the ship.

4. rental car: really does not work, none are open on Sunday for drop off or pick-up.

5. You will Never, repeat Never, cruise with a friendlier group of people than Texans, Cajuns, Okies and Arkansas folks!

6. Navigator in May will have gone through a total dry dock, RCI is adding a ton of upgrades....You will be VERY happy with the ship!!!!

7. Hotels: the price range is all over the place and fits just about everyone's budget.

More specific questions......ASK!!!!!

I still like the fly to NOLA and do the Big Easy first, then cruise from there, drive to GAlveston on SAT and ck in the car. sail on sunday after your dinner at Guidos. You know , when i was a kid they were the best thing in town, no waiter wrote an order down and it was put in front of each person correctly. But you needed a large wallet as well. Now, sail from Galveston on the ship. any room, just get on board. You only sleep and change clothes in your cabin so do what the spirit moves you to do. Royal Suite to the bottom inside deck. Then come back and tour Texas, Go home to Seattle and enjoy the cold, rainy winter.. LOLOLOL.. Go Hogs!

Sounds like I should skip the cruise and just sty in Texas .... But I would miss the quest . Thinking march sailing kids here are on spring break then , honestly don't mind spending money on cruises it's the airfare that gets me , would love to get on some different ships too

If you can, fly out of SEA and into Houston Hobby (HOU). It's much closer to the port (about 50 min HOU, 80 min IAH). Also, I highly recommend flying in at least the day before. The weather in Houston and Galveston during the early part of the year goes from foggy (can last well into the day) Jan - Mar to stormy in Mar - May/June. If you can I would hold off until the summer or even fall/winter. I personally am looking at going Oct/Nov 2014. Good luck!

I forgot Star Drug!

Sunday morning breakfast! Absolutely!!!!!

Make your decisionn eary! Book March and October..that way you can compare, have no anxiety over which season and get two greta cruises out of the deal!!!!!

honestly don't mind spending money on cruises it's the airfare that gets me , would love to get on some different ships too.

Also be prepared to spend at least $100 each way in transfers from the airport to Galveston. Sailed out of Galveston in January this year for the first and last time.

Pretty sure you can do party of 2 for $160.00 TOTAL, round trip.

Posters seems less than happy with his/her "visit" to Texas. Oh well, we have too many Californians flocking to Texas on a perminent basis as it is!

Folks moving a state that "ain't broke"

Have sailed out of Galveston at least a dozen times. Several different ships including the Navigator, (most recently out of New Orleans). Since we live in east Texas it's an easy drive to the Galveston area. You have already been given some excellent advise. True, the cost of transfers from either airport are a bit pricey. Since we drive, don't have any personal experience about the cost but have heard others say what has already been mentioned.

Hotels and food venues are many and prices from way low to the very top! We stay in Texas City the night before, just like to rest before boarding the ship. If you have not visited Texas you are in for a great time. Sounds like brag coming from a born and raised Texan. Have cruised many ports, Florida, Canada, Mexico, Europe, and most of the Caribbean. Love the experience.

Southwest Airlines now has non-stops between Seattle and Houston Hobby. I highly recommend them....best airline anywhere, IMHO....

Also, I highly recommend Gaido's and the less expensive restaurant next door, Casey's (also owned by the Gaido family). Their blackened shrimp and scalloped potatoes are to die for!! YUM!

Do fly in the day before! And do fly into Hobby as it is quite a bit closer to Galveston than Houston Bush International. Google Galveston limo for prices for round trip shuttle and a shuttle schedule. Last year it was $60 pp round trip for a senior fare. They take you from Hobby right to your hotel and pick up at the pier upon return. You really should go to the Home Ports Departures board for a ton of transportation and hotel information for Galveston.

Southwest Airlines now has non-stops between Seattle and Houston Hobby. I highly recommend them....best airline anywhere, IMHO....

Also, I highly recommend Gaido's and the less expensive restaurant next door, Casey's (also owned by the Gaido family). Their blackened shrimp and scalloped potatoes are to die for!! YUM!

Casey's is now "Nick's"; run by Nick Gaido. They even have drinks and food at the pool now.

Posters seems less than happy with his/her "visit" to Texas. Oh well, we have too many Californians flocking to Texas on a perminent basis as it is!

I like Texas, really enjoy the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Spent a lot of time there. Great food, nice, friendly folk. But Galveston, to be honest, I was very disappointed. It looks as if it's having a tough time recovering from the big storm that hit it a few years back. Did have some good food at Willie G's. You also have the weirdest liquor laws. Couldn't order certain drinks until we were well out to sea and couldn't get a drink in the airport unless you bought food.

We've done 47 cruises in the past 33 years, out of many different ports and Galveston is, IMO, the most inconvenient and boring of any that we have visited. And by the way, the weather sucked.

Actually, we have recovered quite nicely and expeditiously without any outside assistance. Those of us in Texas just pull our boot straps up, dig in and get the job done.

If Willie G's is your opinion of good "Texas" food, you have a lot to learn. That is a chain restaurant. We have great food on the island with some restaurants that will equal or better anything in NYC (words from friends who are New Yorkers).

Never had a problem getting a drink at any airport in Texas, didn't have to order food either. Sorry if our State laws didn't allow certain alcohol until you reached International waters - 12 miles, but most drinks are available from the time you board the ship.

One needs to spend time in Galveston to know this City has the 2nd most Victorian homes in the U.S. Once the Wall Street of the South and a major immigration port, Galveston has history that most areas envy.

Weather - well , weather can suck anywhere. At least we women don't have to spend money on facials and saunas, we just walk out on our porches and get it free!

Yes, I am defending Galveston and Texas, but I am also a native Californian - 4th generation. Got here as fast as I could and still loving every second after 55 years even though I have lived all over the world and cruised a lot. Not only on cruise ships but bulk carriers and tramp steamers (merchant marine), port cities are port cities.

BTW, have a sister in Law that lives near Tehachapi - another reason to leave Ca.

Archived