Galveston sailing

Funbobby68

We are cruising out of Galveston in April. We have sailing friends that travel with us that live in Galveston, so we go down a couple days early and hang out with them. Try Fishermans Wharf, right next to the cruise terminal, for seafood. I think it is the best in Galveston. Queens BBQ for some good ole Texas BBQ and homemade ice cream. You will also want to go to the Strand area, again across from cruise terminal, for some shopping opportunities.

Casey's is now "Nick's"; run by Nick Gaido. They even have drinks and food at the pool now.

Is it still the same food? Hope so-loved it! We always did Casey's Friday night and Sunflower Bakery Saturday breakfast and Gaidos Saturday night.

Is it still the same food? Hope so-loved it! We always did Casey's Friday night and Sunflower Bakery Saturday breakfast and Gaidos Saturday night.

Yes same menu and separate kitchens and menus for all three restaurants.

There seems to be a lot of favourites for Galveston.

and all mentioned are wonderful.

For more flavour of Galveston -

See videos courtesy of

from galveston.com and Galveston Convention and Visitors Bureau

galveston.com/videooverview/

galveston.com/videoannualevents/

galveston.com/videocomingupontheisland/

galveston.com/videofunindoorsandout/

galveston.com/videoitsislandtime/

Princess and NCL will be running cruises out of the Houston port starting this fall.

Good news is that it is closer to the airports. Bad news is that the port is in the middle of a container/refinery area where there is NOTHING to do unless you have a rent car.

Galveston, on the other hand, has a lot to do and you can do it without a rent car once in Galveston.

We used to tell our "frugal" friends to eat at Casey's which is next to Guido's and run by the same family. However, I just read they have tarted it up so I don't think you can get the same food for the more modest prices they used to have.

Casey's, also, has a motel which is reasonably priced and, I think, free parking while on the cruise. The motel has been upgraded but still dated I heard. Clean, convenient (across from the seawall) so you might want to check it out. They don't advertise much, if at all, but I'm sure you can find it on-line.

Tucker in Texas

We used to tell our "frugal" friends to eat at Casey's which is next to Guido's and run by the same family. However, I just read they have tarted it up so I don't think you can get the same food for the more modest prices they used to have.

Casey's, also, has a motel which is reasonably priced and, I think, free parking while on the cruise. The motel has been upgraded but still dated I heard. Clean, convenient (across from the seawall) so you might want to check it out. They don't advertise much, if at all, but I'm sure you can find it on-line.

Tucker in Texas

It's Gaido's and the motel is "Gaido's Seaside Inn" with free cruise parking.

Casey's name was changed to "Nick's" to reflect Nick Gaido in the long line of family who has operated the restaurants and they added an outdoor pool eating/drinking area.

We've done 47 cruises in the past 33 years, out of many different ports and Galveston is, IMO, the most inconvenient and boring of any that we have visited.

*blink* :eek:

"Boring"... I don't think Galveston could be boring if it tried -- and it definitely tries and succeeds at the opposite. SO much history... culture... incredible architecture... amazing things to see and do for young and old and everyone in between... some of the most unique shops you'll find anywhere... and the FOOD, holy smokes, the food.

Or there's the nothing at all but pure relaxation! My son & folks & I spent 2 hours Friday night just sitting on the back deck at Murdoch's, lazily rocking in those comfy chairs they have, one of our favorite places to be... Staring at the ocean as it swept in to break against the pilings beneath us, watching the seagulls and pelicans circle around, closing our eyes and smiling at the sea breeze against our faces. Just total bliss.

And there's all the festivals, Art Walk, Schlitterbahn, historical tours, Moody Gardens, concerts at Saegerfest Park, movie nights at the same, the tallship Ellissa, and on and on.

Good lord, I honestly think someone would have to make a concerted, determined effort to be bored in Galveston. :rolleyes:

-gina-

It's Gaido's and the motel is "Gaido's Seaside Inn" with free cruise parking.

Casey's name was changed to "Nick's" to reflect Nick Gaido in the long line of family who has operated the restaurants and they added an outdoor pool eating/drinking area.

Thanks for the update. I knew there had been some changes (Mary Kay Guido is a friend of mine) but didn't know to what extent. Probably the prices are no longer a "bargain" (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Man I need to stop reading this thread, makes me want to sail Navigator. Maybe in the winter of 14/15 I can do it. Texas sounds like a heck of a lot of fun.

Come on Down

Plan a cruise around one of these in

November

Lone Star Motorcycle Rally

www.lonestarrally.com

December

Dickens on the Strand

http://www.galvestonhistory.org/Dickens_Overview.asp[/url]

February

Mardi Gras

mardigrasgalveston.com

AND SINCE YOU ARE FROM CALGARY

March

http://www.hlsr.com/

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is the world’s largest livestock show and rodeo dedicated to benefiting youth, supporting education, and facilitating better agricultural practices through exhibitions and presentation.

Attendance - 2,500,000 million in 2013

$330,000,000 to the youth of Texas since 1932

April

Spring Break

May

Historicic Homes Tour

www.galvestonhistory.org/Galveston_Historic_Homes_Tour.asp

Summer

32 miles of beach

*blink* :eek:

"Boring"... I don't think Galveston could be boring if it tried -- and it definitely tries and succeeds at the opposite. SO much history... culture... incredible architecture... amazing things to see and do for young and old and everyone in between... some of the most unique shops you'll find anywhere... and the FOOD, holy smokes, the food.

Or there's the nothing at all but pure relaxation! My son & folks & I spent 2 hours Friday night just sitting on the back deck at Murdoch's, lazily rocking in those comfy chairs they have, one of our favorite places to be... Staring at the ocean as it swept in to break against the pilings beneath us, watching the seagulls and pelicans circle around, closing our eyes and smiling at the sea breeze against our faces. Just total bliss.

And there's all the festivals, Art Walk, Schlitterbahn, historical tours, Moody Gardens, concerts at Saegerfest Park, movie nights at the same, the tallship Ellissa, and on and on.

Good lord, I honestly think someone would have to make a concerted, determined effort to be bored in Galveston. :rolleyes:

-gina-

Come down tomorrow night for

Community Summer Band Night on the Park

a family childrens night out.

7:30 at 23rd behind Ashton Villa on Broadway

The rodeo is a definite must see.

I am a Houstonian (arrived in 2005) so I'm partial to all of the fun things we have to do up here.

The Natural Science Museum is pretty awesome with the new dinosaur exhibit, Energy exhibit, rotating exhibits, planetarium, Imax, and Butterfly house. Then there is a zoo with a huge new Africa exhibit - phase 1 is done, phase 2 is under construction. There are art museums - fine art, contemporary art, etc.

Downtown Aquarium, Kemah boardwalk (between Houston and Galveston). The downtown location has a few white tigers as well. There is also a train that goes through a shark tank/tunnel.

Then there is shopping and food to try out.

Come down tomorrow night for

Community Summer Band Night on the Park

a family childrens night out.

7:30 at 23rd behind Ashton Villa on Broadway

Sounds fun! But I'm already going to be there Friday night to either see my fave sons-of-the-sea, Ocean Roots at Saengerfest Park, or go to Board Game Island's speed date night. Haven't decided which. :)

As others have said, see if you can take Southwest Airlines to Hobby airport. No bag fees, and closer airport. You'll need ground transportation. I've use Texas Cruise Ship Shuttles before and they were good. They'll even take you on a tour of Galveston.

http://cruiseshipshuttle.com/

Navigator of the Seas is a voyager class ship with royal promenade and even an ice rink with ice show included in your cruise price.

And it will have just gone through a major dry dock in January, and will have a flowrider and park cafe added then.

Radiance class is good, but voyager class has an even bigger WOW, I think.

Come join us on the March 23 sailing -- goes to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel.

Or check out the next week -- March 30 -- I see a good past guest rate -- goes to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Be sure to fly down on Saturday, or earlier if you want.

Depending you when you arrive, you could shuttle to Galveston on Saturday and take a taxi (or free hotel shuttle if they have one) to the ship on Sunday. Or, you could stay at hotel near Hobby (one with free airport shuttle) on Saturday night, and shuttle to the ship on Sunday.

And don't book too early a return. Usually it needs to be after 1pm, but some have made noon flights. Any earlier might be "iffy".

The rodeo is a definite must see.

I am a Houstonian (arrived in 2005) so I'm partial to all of the fun things we have to do up here.

The Natural Science Museum is pretty awesome with the new dinosaur exhibit, Energy exhibit, rotating exhibits, planetarium, Imax, and Butterfly house. Then there is a zoo with a huge new Africa exhibit - phase 1 is done, phase 2 is under construction. There are art museums - fine art, contemporary art, etc.

Downtown Aquarium, Kemah boardwalk (between Houston and Galveston). The downtown location has a few white tigers as well. There is also a train that goes through a shark tank/tunnel.

Then there is shopping and food to try out.

All excellent venues in Houston!

The Museum District by the Medical Center

and the Arts District Downtown are outstanding!

And don't forget Nasa Spacecraft Center.

I am a native Houstonian

and appreciate Houston for all that it is,

My wife and I are life long volunteers at the Rodeo.

but now live in Galveston!

Sounds fun! But I'm already going to be there Friday night to either see my fave sons-of-the-sea, Ocean Roots at Saengerfest Park, or go to Board Game Island's speed date night. Haven't decided which. :)

Oceon Roots is a worthy group with their charitible causes,

and refreshing duo with their coastal island sounds!

Proud they are from Galveston!

They need to plan something big around time the Beach Boys are at the 1894 Grand Opera House.

We may have to take that in on friday also!

And then see Joe Ely at the Old Quarter.

To quote them

"May our music light the spark within your heart and bring its flame alive. For our fellow earth sojourner, go where the wind blows, where the water flows, where the waves crash upon the shore. Remembering always, all footprints on the path have the same heart."

All excellent venues in Houston!

The Museum District by the Medical Center

and the Arts District Downtown are outstanding!

And don't forget Nasa Spacecraft Center.

I am a native Houstonian

and appreciate Houston for all that it is,

My wife and I are life long volunteers at the Rodeo.

but now live in Galveston!

I knew I was forgetting something! NASA is close to Kemah so you could stay in that area and see both of those fun things.

Oceon Roots is a worthy group with their charitible causes,

and refreshing duo with their coastal island sounds!

Proud they are from Galveston!

They need to plan something big around time the Beach Boys are at the 1894 Grand Opera House.

We may have to take that in on friday also!

And then see Joe Ely at the Old Quarter.

To quote them

"May our music light the spark within your heart and bring its flame alive. For our fellow earth sojourner, go where the wind blows, where the water flows, where the waves crash upon the shore. Remembering always, all footprints on the path have the same heart."

"We are creatures of the wind and water and are shaped by the land where we are birthed. We are the musical reeds that bend in the wind and do not break. Our music, coming from the heart of the all, to you."

It's mind-boggling, how young they are, yet how talented. They start at TAMUG in a few weeks, and my son starts there next fall -- I'm hoping I get to run into them. :) If any of you are in Galveston when they're playing somewhere, go see them... their South Coast Soul melts all cares away.

And you're my new best friend, ssb. :D

-gina-

Yes same menu and separate kitchens and menus for all three restaurants. /

Thanks for the info ssb.

Hey Gina-how's it going? Long time no talk. Do you have any cruises coming up?

Oops-just saw in your signature you're doing the Navigator in Feb. Usually that's when we cruise but thought we would try May this time.

Archived