Galveston sailing

Funbobby68

March of 2011 we went out of Galveston on RCI VOS. Getting from Houston Hobby to Galveston and back was pricey. We were prepared and had things booked ahead of time. Our big deal was having the plan land once (no change) and finding we had NO suitcases when we got to Hobby early in the day :eek:. So we got our bags about 11 that night but in time to get on the ship! :)

I do enjoy eating at local places but also find my way to some standards which I know the menu if I need too. When we tried to get into local places that evening, they were packed and it seemed mostly with locals. So we did end up eating at Fisherman's Wharf. The day we returned from the cruise we spent the day walking and did eat at what is now Nick's. We were not disappointed then either.

When you have a community that is right on the coast and you read the posts about the weather with all the fog that comes/goes, how many times the ship is delayed going in/out, then you go prepared for the weather. We were surprised how well the town had recovered in such a short time. The seawall area does have a lot of sand, but expected. We had a great time. We are returning November 2014 with a group of friends!

This past May we were going to the port from Rome and it was pouring down rain. Rained all the way to the port. That did NOT ruin my cruise nor the other day it rained when we were in another port.

Galvestoncruiser: If your sister-in-law loves the desert (like I do & I have lived a number of places), be glad we don't all want to live the same place! ;)

Love I'm going to Galveston happier it will be on NOS and down to Honduras, Belize and Mexico!

Hey everyone, Don't know if the original question has been answered or not, but correct me if I'm wrong in that this poster can fly from Vancouver or Seattle? I'm guessing he/she's form Vancouver area?

I'm a Vancouverite and did the Voyager 3 years ago. Absolute best price for flights was SEA to George Bush. Best price for transfer to Galveston was these guys:

http://galvestonlimousineservice.com/iah.html

Excellent service and right on time. Same driver both ways pre-planned.

I think I would rent a car, but I am sure there are shuttles to Galveston

Unfortunately, no car rental places are open on Sunday in Galveston. I think there is a way to drop the car off on Sunday (the day of the cruise), but you can't rent one after the cruise on Sunday. Sigh.

Thanks for all the great advise still a bit on the fence with weather and cost of transfer , and not flying in on sail date , but does sound like a great port and itinerary

Cheers

Funbobby68

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hey all thinking about booking a cruise out of Texas and wonder what's the best airport to fly into and how long is the transfer from airport to dock also the ship is the navigator , how does it compare to the radiance of the sea ,also would this be a cruise that would be one of those must have balcony sailings Oh ya it's the western Caribbean

Cheers

Thanks for all the great advise still a bit on the fence with weather and cost of transfer , and not flying in on sail date , but does sound like a great port and itinerary

Cheers

Funbobby68

==================================================

Hi Funbobby68

Cheers :D

Don't try to overthink it.

Enjoy your cruise is main thing!

The itinerary is a good one!

Fly out of Seattle?

Weather can be a problem anywhere, anytime and in all kinds,

regardless where you are flying out of or into!!

William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) is about 40 miles to the port.

Major Airlines serving William P. Hobby Airport: http://houstonhobby.com/airlines.html

If you come in February or March,

you could plan around Mardi Gras or the Houston Live Show and Rodeo

and your cruise!

mardigrasgalveston.com

Two weekends in February

rodeohoustom.com

Rodeo Houston is a

March/April month long event in Houston.

Biggest fair in North America

2,500,000 attendance last year

A Non profit organization for the benifit of kids education.

$330,000,000 given to youth of Texas since 1932.

2,000+ students are presently on Show scholarships.

Attending more than 100 different Texas colleges and universities.

Current scholarships value is approximately $30 million.

Make your plans

Buy insurance regardless when you travel!

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! :)

Zac Brown Band!!

Cheers

Funbobby68

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you should decide to take cruise out of Galveston

do not hesitate to ask questions about Galveston.

Obviously there is a wealth of information

from cruisers familiar with galveston on this thread,

to help you enjoy your stay.

"We are creatures of the wind and water and are shaped by the land where we are birthed. We are the musical reeds that bend in the wind and do not break. Our music, coming from the heart of the all, to you."

It's mind-boggling, how young they are, yet how talented. They start at TAMUG in a few weeks, and my son starts there next fall -- I'm hoping I get to run into them. :) If any of you are in Galveston when they're playing somewhere, go see them... their South Coast Soul melts all cares away.

And you're my new best friend, ssb. :D

-gina-

Yes for their youth they are very good, talented and promissing musicians.

We ended up with conflicts with both performaces on last friday.

Hope you had a good night out!

We shall have to meet sometime! My new friend!

There is a wonderful line up of musicians coming up at the Old Quarter (a dive).

Sat. Aug.10, 2013 Lisa Morales

Sara Hickman, Friday Aug. 23rd.

Sat. September 7, 2013 Terri Hendrix and

Kinky Friedman Fri. Sept. 20th. This will sell out quick.

Bruce Robison Thursday Sept. 26th.

At moment we have Lisa, Kinky, and Bruce tickets.

-------------

Also there are a nunber of wonderful performances coming up

at 1894 Grand Opera House (non profit) (we are volunteers)

Robert Earl Keen, Randy Newman, Beach Boys as example!

thegrand.com

--------

An interesting one is Jason Williams ("Tuna" Fame) and Joe Ely hooking up doing a new theaterical musical play - Life After Lubbock.

Others are Robert Earl Keen, Randy Newman, Beach Boys as example!

-----------

Cruisers along with there cruise should consider a theater performance at the 1894 Grand opera House.

The Grand is one of the few remaining theatres of its era in Texas

and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

As further recognition of its importance to the citizens of Texas,

in 1993 the 73rdTexas legislature proclaimed The Grand "The Official Opera House of Texas."

[/size]

If you are flying into Houston IAH or Hobby to take a Galveston cruise you should definitely come to Galveston a day or two before the cruise or stay a day after. The Strand is a fantastic experience--so much to see and do in Galveston and the best restaurants on the planet. Enjoy our town--you won't be sorry!!:)

Need a good restaurant for a group that some love seafood & others will not eat it. Need combo seafood, beef, chicken and is reasonably priced for dinner.

Saltwater Grill on Post office or Willie G's on Harborside near the cruise ships.:)

Balcony for us, hubby won't settle for less now- we can't even considering cruising for LESS anymore. For me, just get me on a ship, I'd rather sail more often in an inside, than to wait to afford a balcony. We DO enjoy our balcony A LOT though!

I'm sure you'll have fun, no matter where you are on the ship! We think paying more for a balcony is always worth the money, if you get a good deal anyways. But if you can't afford it, don't sweat it! I'm thinking that Jamaica will be the most scenic, but we enjoy looking at the ports- from either side of the ship, really! Port side should be better, but we've done both sides and will enjoy the view either way.

"We are creatures of the wind and water and are shaped by the land where we are birthed. We are the musical reeds that bend in the wind and do not break. Our music, coming from the heart of the all, to you."

It's mind-boggling, how young they are, yet how talented. They start at TAMUG in a few weeks, and my son starts there next fall -- I'm hoping I get to run into them. :) If any of you are in Galveston when they're playing somewhere, go see them... their South Coast Soul melts all cares away.

And you're my new best friend, ssb. :D

-gina-

The band is:D on East Beach tommorow!

The band is:D on East Beach tommorow!

Hey Lee, We will be down there tomorrow to watch the Magic sailaway and figure out what cove balcony we want to book as she goes by.

Where is the east beach and what band is playing and what time?

Hey Lee, We will be down there tomorrow to watch the Magic sailaway and figure out what cove balcony we want to book as she goes by.

Hi Jon

We have cruising friends coming down tomorrow

and will be eating out tomorrow .

Where are you eating.

The group is:

Ocean Roots

Sunday, Aug. 18, 2013, 1 – 4pm

East Beach

Galveston, TX

East Beach

(409)797-5111

Pure South Coast soul! Music from the heart, with love from us to you!

---

Galveston's East Beach is Located at the far eastern tip of the island, East Beach

is at end of Seawall blvd by ship channel.

Has a new pavilion for concerts and events.

I have not actually seen the band but read up on them after

Kindred spirit Poster mentioned them on here and they sounded very good

And are young high schoolers going to TAM with excellent song writing and

and musicians playing coastal beach surfing music with spirit and soul. :)

Now I've reread your message

You will be at Olympiia Grill.

A senior moment on my part.

We shall see where they want to eat.

Im sure it will probably be there.

Galveston (IMO) has some shortcomings as a port, but if you want to talk about embarrassments you should check out the Cape Liberty port. As a New Yorker and even as an American I was embarrassed to think that many foreign visitors receive a first impression of the US from that port.

In fairness, I think Hurricane Sandy may have caused them some problems, but the place (and rounding area) were dirty and unkempt.

From all I've read about Galveston, I won't enjoy the effort to get there, but I'm looking forward to visiting once I make it there.

My favorite cruise port thus far was Norfolk, VA because of the friendliness of people, and I'm expecting pretty much the same from Galveston.

The group is:

Ocean Roots

Sunday, Aug. 18, 2013, 1 – 4pm

East Beach

Galveston, TX

East Beach

(409)797-5111

Pure South Coast soul! Music from the heart, with love from us to you!

---

Galveston's East Beach is Located at the far eastern tip of the island, East Beach

is at end of Seawall blvd by ship channel.

Has a new pavilion for concerts and events.

. :)

Sounds good we wil have to check it out unless it is too packed
Now I've reread your message

You will be at Olympiia Grill.

A senior moment on my part.

We shall see where they want to eat.

Im sure it will probably be there.

We will be by there for sailaway as we want to book a cove on the Magic or the Breeze next year. So Im doing recon on best location

Ok so its a just an excuse to go to Galveston ;)

Not sure where we are eating yet. 4pm sailaway is too early for dinner. Maybe try something different. So we can have more variety and 1st hand knowledge for future guests but we do love Olympia gill

If you guys are there we stop by and say hi, maybe have a drink.

To original thread

Galveston is a great drive to port and needs to be experienced at least once if flying in

Hey ssb! Gonna make your way to Saengerfest Park tomorrow? :) Music Nite on the Strand! Starts at 6 with The Antiques (oldies/classic rock) then Ocean Roots after that. I'm dragging my teenage son and his girlfriend along -- we're going to grab a couple of milkshakes to go from La King's and plant ourselves early at an upfront table at the park. Would love to meet up with ya!! :)

-gina-

Hi Gina:

SSB and I are going to be downtown for Artwalk tomorrow night.

Probably be downtown by 5pm.

He is off to Houston this morning to meet with a client and I am getting ready to spend the day at Moody Gardens Palm Beach with grandsons.

Will post later about how to meet up.

Mary

Awesome, Mary! Hope to see you guys!

Have a great day at Moody Gardens -- I never get tired of that place. I would much rather be there now than here at work. :p

-gina-

Awesome, Mary! Hope to see you guys!

Have a great day at Moody Gardens -- I never get tired of that place. I would much rather be there now than here at work. :p

-gina-

Hey Gina

Obviously we never got over to Strand.

Post Office was hopping and we got tied up over there!

Art Walk was fun, weather was nice and big turn out of fans.

Did you make Art Walk and see the coastal band.

I also sent some new TAMU freshmen over to see the band and their new classmates!

Another time we will do it!

We will be at Quarter for

Kinky Friedman

Bruce Robison

and at Grand for

Lyle Lovett and his Acoustic Group

Hey Gina

Obviously we never got over to Strand.

Post Office was hopping and we got tied up over there!

Art Walk was fun, weather was nice and big turn out of fans.

Did you make Art Walk and see the coastal band.

I also sent some new TAMU freshmen over to see the band and their new classmates!

Another time we will do it!

My son ended up having to work last minute and I really didn't want to go by myself yet again, so I didn't. :-(

I think their next gig I'm aiming for is at Pier 21 on Sept. 21st. They have a few more between now and then, but marching season has started so every weekend is usually a whirlwind of football games and marching competitions. That Saturday looks free so far, though.

My son is counting the days until he's one of those Freshmen. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived