Updates anyone?

id4elizabeth

Got this message back on the Viking Oceans Facebook site. Will keep you up to date if I hear anymore. If anyone else has any info, please keep us into the loop.

My message posted to them:

Hi Viking. So excited to be booked with you for the maiden season. I asked this on Aug 9th, but maybe my message was overlooked with more recent posts. Anyway, can you share anything about the progress being made on the Star? I'm sure we would all love to hear how things are going and would be thrilled with a few pictures. Thanks!

Like · · 22 hours ago

Their response:

Viking Oceans We're just as excited to have you on board! At this time, we don't have any updates to share with our guests just yet. But sit tight! As soon as we do, our Facebook friends will be the first to know.

• 3 weeks later...
I also have not gotten a response to my question I sent in over 2 weeks ago....

That's too bad Kathy. Too many Cruise lines think they have a great Social Media strategy, but they have no clue how to be effective via interaction with their Guests. Keeping their guests engaged is critical, especially as Viking has a new generation of ships coming our way.

Edited by Host Andy

Yes Andy I agree with you 100%. It is so nice on the AZ board to have you and Bill. Also nice to know the president of AZ also monitors the boards. I got my question answered by a fellow CC member but still did not get a respose from Viking.

I think Viking should post some updates on the build esp since they want payment at the end of this year.

Regards, Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

As fat as I understand this ship is not a brand new build from the bottom up but a purchase of an existing ship from a company that went belly up. So far all they are doing is reconfiguring as well as updating and meeting new specifications. This is a major renovation project but not a "new build".;)

As fat as I understand this ship is not a brand new build from the bottom up but a purchase of an existing ship from a company that went belly up. So far all they are doing is reconfiguring as well as updating and meeting new specifications. This is a major renovation project but not a "new build".;)

I don't know about that, but she's listed in Fincantieri's books as a "build", not a refit or a conversion or whatever else. That's in the same annual report that refers to the rebuilding of Carnival Destiny into Carnival Sunshine in the latter category and Viking Star in the former...

They are new builds.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/media/viking-star-under-construction.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

I just received an email fom Viking Cruise about their 15 day Barcelona roundtrip for Jan/ Feb 2016. Love the stops in North Africa.

Viking Star will be cruising year around in Europe.

I am intrigued by this new cruise line.

But I still work and cannot commit this early......

• 3 weeks later...

Any information from Viking Ocean on the progress of the Viking Star build is still lacking. If some regular cruisers happen to visit Venice, maybe they could visit Fincanti and check it out. I have called Viking, and the sales people tell me that they have no information. I have even posted on their Facebook page and had no response. I really think they are dropping the ball with their failure to communicate!

Inspite of this I have made the final payment for the Empires of the Med. April 10, 2015 cruise. I put it on a credit card so that I am protected if things do not work out as planned. If they would post progress reports or photos I would probably have paid with a bank check and saved 2%.

Any information from Viking Ocean on the progress of the Viking Star build is still lacking. If some regular cruisers happen to visit Venice, maybe they could visit Fincanti and check it out. I have called Viking, and the sales people tell me that they have no information. I have even posted on their Facebook page and had no response. I really think they are dropping the ball with their failure to communicate!

Inspite of this I have made the final payment for the Empires of the Med. April 10, 2015 cruise. I put it on a credit card so that I am protected if things do not work out as planned. If they would post progress reports or photos I would probably have paid with a bank check and saved 2%.

I agree with you 100% captain...When I get my bill from my TA I will pay with my amex, it would have been nice to save 2% but not worth the risk in my opinion.

Kathy

I agree with you 100% captain...When I get my bill from my TA I will pay with my amex, it would have been nice to save 2% but not worth the risk in my opinion.

Kathy

I would think they would use the status of the new build as a PR tool. Doesn't make me warm and fuzzy and I never received a reply either.

• 1 month later...

We are looking at a cruise sometime in 2015 or one on 2016 maybe when things have bedded down a bit.

Viking also now have a UK website, have requested a brochure to be mailed out,the ship from the designs looks amazing but it would be great if they updated their future passengers esp the ones who have already booked with progress reports and real pictures!