Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Yes, Heinz Vegetable Salad, that's the stuff. Perhaps I should give Salad Cream another try.

Haven't seen that Barry Humphries sketch but I miss seeing him and the awful Sir Les Patterson on tv these days. I'm going to model myself on Dame Edna for fashion and make up tips in my dotage ;)

I'm fairly certain the fries on Silversea in 2011 and 2012 were of the frozen variety. I'd love to find some decent chips onboard a cruise ship now and again. I don't eat them often, but the ones they use on Seabourn are tasty enough - I believe they're coated in parmesan. But they're not proper chips are they?

Enjoy your final day down there. The weather's changed here, it's gloomy and there's a bit of a chill on the breeze, almost like October!

We saw Barry Humphries on his first visit and he did a stint in London. During the interval when the theatre was almost empty, he climbed up,onto the stage and did the Les Patterson thing. It was so funny and unexpected.

I went through quite a phase a few years back with wanting to learn about deep frying and specifically wanting to make fish and chips at home once a week or so. But healthy. I came across this phd thesis. The chap basically got samples from all the restaurants, analysed them for fat content and then investigated how they prepared them and concluded that basically it is water content on the surface of the chip that pulls fat into the chip. The other debunked theory was the hotter the frying temperature the lower the saturation ie sealing the chip. It was an interesting thing to learn about.

Got obsessed with my batter! We ended up with an industrial Lincat double fat fryer to make the fish and chips. Got bored with that when I discovered frozen fish in batter is "almost as good" and then I discovered that the Philips Air Fryer makes very acceptable good healthy fries if you use Mcains. So the double fryer, like almost everything ended up reboxed and in the garage.

Can't praise the Philips Air Fryer strongly enough, and they are used more than the normal oven.

I substitute salad cream for mayo, but never put it onto salad. The Dutch and Belgians use mayo on their fries and I use salad cream on fries for the very reason you made ie the additional vinegar content. It is lovely on chicken and to make egg sandwiches.

I think it's ravioli today in a tomato and peppers sauce. :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi Sophia gal ... remember ... a life without eau de vie is a life without vie ... make up for it when you get home ...:D

Well I'm making up for it Jeff and enjoying a nice glass of white here at home while my lunch cooks away!

Pretty good trans pennine trip back, made it before the rain came....it's now torrential...:eek:

I see we are talking about chips....my grandparents owned three fish and chip shops during the war, l still have the wee shovel they used to dish em up....at home my Nan would cook chips in a huge old cast iron frying pan...they were the best ever. I cook mine here in a deep fryer...blanch them first, let them cool and then right into hot fat.....probably not a very healthy way but l like them as opposed to frozen.

We had a superb Chinese dinner last night, one of the best I've had in a long time from a well established local restaurant who produced the most delicious noodles.....wish now l had brought some home!

Ah well.....back to reality...until the next time:rolleyes:

S:)

S.

So interesting reading about your grandparents and their fish and chip shops. Did they cook in dripping?

I guess they did well during the war because fish and most of the other ingredients weren't on ration. Also the North always seemed to have better fish and chips than the South.

Some time ago I treated myself to a full set of original Henry Mayhew "London Labour and the London Poor" which is one of the most interesting sources of social history of the time. Fried fish was an idea supposedly imported with the 16th Century Portuguese and Spainish Jews fleeing to London and becoming fish costers, and using up cheap fish about to be binned that was no longer fresh, the frying disguising the taste. It was a poor persons treat. Chips seem to have come about in the 1850s or 1860s.

Mayhew charts their story. Obviously this was a particular treat on Friday evenings, obtusely the start of the Jewish sabbath, pay day and fish day for many Catholics. The skill seems to have been taken North by others in particular Portuguese, Spainish and Italians, but because of the proximity to better fishing ports like Hull they tended to use great fish rather than fish "on the point". So the North had a better fish and chips than us down South. You may be interested in dipping into an abridged or even the full version of Mayhew which can be downloaded for free in various formats as it is way out of copyright. It is truly rewarding reading if you like your social history.

I'd love to have tasted the fish and chips you had at your grandparents. Did they call the bits of batter leftovers given to their poorer customers for free "scratchings" or was there another name?

S.

So interesting reading about your grandparents and their fish and chip shops. Did they cook in dripping?

I guess they did well during the war because fish and most of the other ingredients weren't on ration. Also the North always seemed to have better fish and chips than the South.

Some time ago I treated myself to a full set of original Henry Mayhew "London Labour and the London Poor" which is one of the most interesting sources of social history of the time. Fried fish was an idea supposedly imported with the 16th Century Portuguese and Spainish Jews fleeing to London and becoming fish costers, and using up cheap fish about to be binned that was no longer fresh, the frying disguising the taste. It was a poor persons treat. Chips seem to have come about in the 1850s or 1860s.

Mayhew charts their story. Obviously this was a particular treat on Friday evenings, obtusely the start of the Jewish sabbath, pay day and fish day for many Catholics. The skill seems to have been taken North by others in particular Portuguese, Spainish and Italians, but because of the proximity to better fishing ports like Hull they tended to use great fish rather than fish "on the point". So the North had a better fish and chips than us down South. You may be interested in dipping into an abridged or even the full version of Mayhew which can be downloaded for free in various formats as it is way out of copyright. It is truly rewarding reading if you like your social history.

I'd love to have tasted the fish and chips you had at your grandparents. Did they call the bits of batter leftovers given to their poorer customers for free "scratchings" or was there another name?

By the time l was born all the shops had been sold but my Grandma still cooked the fish n chips at home which were to die for. I am told that pre war my Grandfather managed to buy a huge stock of lard...he must have had some kind of intuition. When war broke he opened the three shops and made a bundle, having an army camp close by helped and I believe he would have coach loads of folk coming from Liverpool on a Friday night for their supper. All the fish came from Grimsby and the family were hauled in to peel potatoes and generally help out in return for their fish supper!

I do believe the leftover bits were called scratchings....although another term seems to be at the back of my mind.

Grandma was a very generous woman and if she knew of any families struggling my Mother would be sent out loaded up with food for them.

Post war saw more business ventures for Grandad.....he liked a drink so he bought a pub! He liked to back the horses so he bought a betting shop! Considering he couldn't read or write he was a very astute man.

Friday was always 'Fish' night....the Grandparents used to say..'never buy fish on a Monday' and even to this day l never do!!

I'll have a look at Mayhew Jeff thanks....

S :)

I hope I won't send anyone into shock with this admission, but one thing I am looking forward to when we get to London is to find somewhere that sells a good chip butty. Any recommendations for somewhere in Central London. We are staying at The Corinthia in Whitehall.......but have Oyster Card will travel.

Please don't worry Mr L as I won't make you or your good wife be there while I consume this :D.

I hope I won't send anyone into shock with this admission, but one thing I am looking forward to when we get to London is to find somewhere that sells a good chip butty. Any recommendations for somewhere in Central London. We are staying at The Corinthia in Whitehall.......but have Oyster Card will travel.

Please don't worry Mr L as I won't make you or your good wife be there while I consume this :D.

I think your best solution is to ask your hotel to make one. Ask if they would mind using freshly home cut potato and to slice an un-sliced loaf. Best would be a poppy seed type loaf. This isn't likely to be on any menu.

Please consider a bacon and chip butty though. It is something you will be hooked on. Sarsons vinegar.

I think your best solution is to ask your hotel to make one. Ask if they would mind using freshly home cut potato and to slice an un-sliced loaf. Best would be a poppy seed type loaf. This isn't likely to be on any menu.

Please consider a bacon and chip butty though. It is something you will be hooked on. Sarsons vinegar.

I will ask but I will pass on the vinegar as I was never into vinegar on my chips, salt yes, must have salt.

I will try the bacon and chip butty............luckily I have been going to the gym a lot!:p

I will ask but I will pass on the vinegar as I was never into vinegar on my chips, salt yes, must have salt.

I will try the bacon and chip butty............luckily I have been going to the gym a lot!:p

Hi,

Out of interest .... why the wait for your trip to London for a chip butty?

Jeff

Hi,

Out of interest .... why the wait for your trip to London for a chip butty?

Jeff

Because I learnt about it in my youth from English friends but haven't had one for many years...........definitely never found on a menu here!!!

Then when researching where to find good seafood in London up came fish and chips and on one menu I saw Chip Butties. So now I want to try one in the country......I think.........it originated from. I could make one and have it here but it wouldn't be the same :cool::).

Julie

Because I learnt about it in my youth from English friends but haven't had one for many years...........definitely never found on a menu here!!!

Then when researching where to find good seafood in London up came fish and chips and on one menu I saw Chip Butties. So now I want to try one in the country......I think.........it originated from. I could make one and have it here but it wouldn't be the same :cool::).

Julie

Julie,

This seems like "extreme chip butty" to keep you going ....

tumblr_m0di5wFt641r8gby6o1_1280-300x268.jpg

Don't be silly. Tartar Saucy !!!

10FDE5E1-EE81-4068-AABA-A7D0C1157DF8_zpsiysppxvr.jpg

Yes,

That's what I would choose.

What's going on with the bread,is it mothers pride?

You need a bloomer,I also love the poppy seeds,they stay in your teeth for weeks.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Jeff, those fish fingers look good - I notice they seem to be battered rather than breadcrumbed ? I prefer batter, where do you get them from?

I have never had a bacon and chip butty. I've had both, separately, of course. Never both together. I'll try one at the weekend.

We've just had a very pleasant lunch of smoked mackerel and jersey royals potato salad. The chives were grown by him indoors who has been Growing Things this year. No wine ;)

Jeff, those fish fingers look good - I notice they seem to be battered rather than breadcrumbed ? I prefer batter, where do you get them from?

I have never had a bacon and chip butty. I've had both, separately, of course. Never both together. I'll try one at the weekend.

We've just had a very pleasant lunch of smoked mackerel and jersey royals potato salad. The chives were grown by him indoors who has been Growing Things this year. No wine ;)

Your lunch sounds good!

We arrived back at 4am this morning .....

I suggest very thin bacon because you have to chew it. Back rather than crispy streaky.

They must be whole haddock pieces in crunchy batter!

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-33348-Waitrose+6+batt+chunky+haddockfingers.html?storeId=10317

LN_065806_BP_10.jpg

Yes,

That's what I would choose.

What's going on with the bread,is it mothers pride?

You need a bloomer,I also love the poppy seeds,they stay in your teeth for weeks.

Yes ... with a fishfinger sandwich, thick soft bread toasted and allow a few minutes to harden so they don't go soggy but with the bacon and chip butty it has to be a Gails Poppy Seed Bloomer cut on the bias the make the slice size viable .... :)

42289011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=33f2a013ac7c9da8904bdb113d9be189

Yes ... with a fishfinger sandwich, thick soft bread toasted and allow a few minutes to harden so they don't go soggy but with the bacon and chip butty it has to be a Gails Poppy Seed Bloomer cut on the bias the make the slice size viable .... :)

42289011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=33f2a013ac7c9da8904bdb113d9be189

Poppy Seed for a chip butty:eek: never heard of such a thing...nah...agree it's got to be unsliced bread, but smothered in butter then piping hot chips slapped in the middle..no sauce :rolleyes:

One of my favourite butty's is what the crew galley chef used to produce when l was at sea. Toasted bread with bacon, raw onion and cheese, not grated but placed on top in slices, then blast under the grill...no sauce!

Late lunch today here, scampi, chips and peas ...like the look of those fish fingers Jeff, a trip to Waitrose is a must me thinks....S:)

Poppy Seed for a chip butty:eek: never heard of such a thing...nah...agree it's got to be unsliced bread, but smothered in butter then piping hot chips slapped in the middle..no sauce :rolleyes:

One of my favourite butty's is what the crew galley chef used to produce when l was at sea. Toasted bread with bacon, raw onion and cheese, not grated but placed on top in slices, then blast under the grill...no sauce!

Late lunch today here, scampi, chips and peas ...like the look of those fish fingers Jeff, a trip to Waitrose is a must me thinks....S:)

That toasted bread dooh dah sounds spot on. Red onion though. I make the odd croque which is lovely. Blitz up and egg with some grated Red Leicester, small dollop of Dijon and a couple of drops of Worcester and some cooked diced bacon thrown in and spoon onto toast and grill, perhaps with some thinly red onion on top . It soufles and browns lovely.

Getting quite hungry now. .....:)