Can a Carnival ship sail from Cape May, NJ if a new cruise terminal were built?

DKane

I always wonder when I'm in Cape May and see the ferry headed over to Lewes, DE if a cruise terminal could be built there for a Carnival ship like the Pride.

I'm sure if it was a possibility it would have been done so by now. Any thoughts?

I think the ship would fit, however, the area lacks the access to do a turnaround, not enough for truckloads of supplies and all the busses. It would be a great port stop thou. Trips to AC, and Philly, We sailed out of Philly once, RCCL enchantment of the seas, cant figure why they don't use that terminal.

I think the ship would fit, however, the area lacks the access to do a turnaround, not enough for truckloads of supplies and all the busses. It would be a great port stop thou. Trips to AC, and Philly, We sailed out of Philly once, RCCL enchantment of the seas, cant figure why they don't use that terminal.

We sailed out of Philly on the Crown Dynasty - all 34,500 tons of her. We sailed to Bermuda. Philly couldn't accommodate anything bigger than that unless some serious dredging was done. Too bad!

anyone whose says Jersey couldn't handle the traffic, needs to come down to my neck of the woods Fri nite thru the weekend:eek:

Remember "We're stronger than the Storm".....woooooooooooooh:p

On a good Friday, I can get from exit 172 to 40 in 5 hours. Going to exit 0 I would need a camper.

we live about 30 minutes from the Walt Whitman bridge. My son went down the shore a few weeks ago on a Saturday and it took about 3 1/2 hours to get there and there were no accidents, just a lot of shore traffic.

It usually takes a little less than 2 hours to get to Cape May without the shore traffic.

Bill

yep, traffic around that area during the day in the summer is a joke, no way it could handle bringing in a ship full of people, roads just are not big enough,spent LOTS of quality family time sitting on the parkway, or rt9 trying to get in or out.

When I cruised on the enchantment of the seas, it was right after the stretch ( that is the ship that was cut in half and made longer ) If it fit into philly I am sure a lot of carnivals fleet could fit.

What about Atlantic City, lots of roads in and out, and plenty of hotel space for pre and post cruise.

On a good Friday, I can get from exit 172 to 40 in 5 hours. Going to exit 0 I would need a camper.

dang, I can get to exit 154 to take son to college (Montclair in just over 1hr 10 minutes)

Seriously tho, if you know the back way, you could get there in under three hours;)

NY port tho, what a nightmare between the tunnels and traffic....

Took over 3hrs to get to the Splendor and that's less than 50mi.:eek:

dang, I can get to exit 154 to take son to college (Montclair in just over 1hr 10 minutes)

Seriously tho, if you know the back way, you could get there in under three hours;)

Well that's me anyway. I would hang left at exit 160, or better yet, take the Pallisades to the GWB. I can get to pier 88 in 35 minutes on a good day.

I don't know, Cape May (along with the entire NJ coast up to Atlantic City) is pretty much deserted from October till June. Hotels were closed, as were most attractions and restaurants. It would make for a pretty miserable pre and post-cruise stay in my opinion. Cape May starts to come alive when the weather warms up, but then you must deal with horrendous weekend traffic and sky high lodging prices.

In my opinion, Atlantic City would be much more ideal as a cruise port. You have plenty of hotels and restaurants open year round, easy access to area beaches, and the city is served by several airports within a couple hours drive such as ACY, PHL and EWR.

we live about 30 minutes from the Walt Whitman bridge. My son went down the shore a few weeks ago on a Saturday and it took about 3 1/2 hours to get there and there were no accidents, just a lot of shore traffic.

It usually takes a little less than 2 hours to get to Cape May without the shore traffic.

Bill

I live in Center City Phila. and it takes us less than two hours to get to the shore. If we are on the road by 5:45 pm we can get down there in an hour and 20 minutes.

I don't know, Cape May (along with the entire NJ coast up to Atlantic City) is pretty much deserted from October till June. Hotels were closed, as were most attractions and restaurants. It would make for a pretty miserable pre and post-cruise stay in my opinion. Cape May starts to come alive when the weather warms up, but then you must deal with horrendous weekend traffic and sky high lodging prices.

In my opinion, Atlantic City would be much more ideal as a cruise port. You have plenty of hotels and restaurants open year round, easy access to area beaches, and the city is served by several airports within a couple hours drive such as ACY, PHL and EWR.

I can't even imagine where you could build a cruise terminal in AC. Are familiar with the area?

I live in Center City Phila. and it takes us less than two hours to get to the shore. If we are on the road by 5:45 pm we can get down there in an hour and 20 minutes.

Leaving at that time it is very doable as all the people heading to the shore for the weekend are down there already.:)

If you are going to Cape May to take a cruise. the cruise would leave in the afternoon @ 4pm so I couldn't leave at 5:45pm.

If you leave in the morning on a Saturday it "sometimes" a little different then leaving at 5:45pm.

Bill

no offense to anyone but where would this ship sail to? Up the coast to cananda? to Bermuda? not sure there is more need for those routes. down the coast to florida? imo not real interested in cruising to florida when I can just go there.

Manhattan port is about 70 miles from us but its a quick hour and 15 or so train ride on NJ transit!!!! No tunnels, no tolls, no traffic . . .

The cruise lines killed the terminal in Philly by bringing in older, smaller ships during the off season. A newly refurbished terminal was used for maybe one or two seasons before Celebrity pulled out, and Urban Outfitters bought the terminal and turned it into their headquarters/factory. With the slow pace of getting anything done in Philly, they will never return, and as far as Delaware is concerned, the environmental groups that protect the Delaware and it's tributaries would oppose any cruise ships docking anywhere in DE or NJ, and would tie up the decisions in court for years, like they did with the dredging project. I'm quite satisfied with going to NY and B'More (well no more after next year) or further to board a ship. Just saying :)

• 2 weeks later...
no offense to anyone but where would this ship sail to? Up the coast to cananda? to Bermuda? not sure there is more need for those routes. down the coast to florida? imo not real interested in cruising to florida when I can just go there.

No offense taken but this is further south than the port of Bayonne or New York:)

The Enchantment OTS and Norwegian Majesty sailed from Philly. The Majesty moved on to other places like Baltimore, Charleston and Miami. The Enchantment moved to Fort Lauderdale, then Baltimore/Norfolk. This left the terminal unused, except for the occasional repo cruise. So it was spending more than it was making, so they closed it down.

Physically, yes. Would they, no.

I see what you mean about closing Baltimore business, but Baltimore served for Philly, Baltimore and DC. Cape May could potentially serve Philly, but it's a drive. And not many live by Cape May (there are a lot, but not a lot that will cruise). There are still fuel regulations, and if Carnival was gonna come back, then they would do Baltimore because it makes great business. If they did your idea, then it would probably be Lewes. Baltimore and DC could use the Bay Bridge, Philly could come through Deleware and Jersey and up could use the ferry. But no. And I don't think the harbor is big enough.

Good idea though!

Archived