proper mosque wear

For men, women, and children: shoulders covered, knees covered, navels covered, shoes off.

For women: you may have to cover your head, depending on which mosque. Istanbul seems to have become more conservative in this regard in the last several years, so best to be prepared with a scarf in your bag and follow the lead of your guide or the person admitting you to the mosque if in doubt.

My parents just returned from Istanbul. Requirements were shoes off, long pants, head covered (for women). Disposable socks are a good thing to bring since apparently lots of people walk over the rugs with bare feet. Scarfs were available for people who forgot, but might be more sanitary to bring your own.

My parents just returned from Istanbul. Requirements were shoes off, long pants, head covered (for women). Disposable socks are a good thing to bring since apparently lots of people walk over the rugs with bare feet. Scarfs were available for people who forgot, but might be more sanitary to bring your own.

To the above I would add that DD and I wore light capris that covered our knees, and it was fine. We brought our own scarves and pashminas. You can also buy them all over the place in Istanbul!

At the Blue Mosque there are some men at the entrance who carefully watch over the flock moving into the Mosque. If they do not think you are properly dressed they will loan you a carpet kind of wrap to put around your waist and/or a scarf. The problem with this is that you do not have any clue who (or what) used these items previously. When we travel in Muslim countries, DW always carries a scarf in her purse for when we visit Mosques. In our long walks around Istanbul (have been there many times) we have walked into many different Mosques (some Mosques are closed to non-believers and/or visitors) since many are quite beautiful.

Hank

Archived