Logistics for visiting Peggy's Cove

We are renting a car to go to Peggy's cove and I was wondering what would be the best timing to show up there.

Looks like the Brilliance of the Seas (our ship) will dock at 7am where as the other ships (2 of them) show up at 10am. The rental car agency opens a 8am so we can show up there when they open.

We also plan to go to Ryer's for lunch.

So...should we high tail it out of the rental car place to Peggy's cove? or wait until after the bus tours may have cleared out? Any recommendations?

Speaking of "high tailing" it...how are the Canadian police for the way to Peggy's cove as far as speeding? Do they have a similar threshold (usually greater than 5 mph over the limit) before they bother with speeders as they do in most areas of the US? or are they strict or have speed traps?

If you can get there earlier than the tour buses, that might be a good thing. Can't say how the fog is that time of the AM though. If not, wait a bit, like about 1:00PM, and then head out there. All the buses will be gone. Leave a few minutes to wander about the little town. If you are a photographer, a great place for some wonderful pixs.

As far as the Police are concerned, I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Personally, the drive is very picturesque and you really do not want to be rushing there or back. The road is windy in many spots, so speeding will not be an option. If you are going there, just to rush there and back, you are wasting a nice trip. Take your time and enjoy the ride, Peggy's cove and the ride back.

Plus, you really never want to be stopped by another countries Police, especially in a rented car and having to get back to make a ship. It just ain't worth it.

Cheers

Len

If you can get there earlier than the tour buses, that might be a good thing. Can't say how the fog is that time of the AM though. If not, wait a bit, like about 1:00PM, and then head out there. All the buses will be gone. Leave a few minutes to wander about the little town. If you are a photographer, a great place for some wonderful pixs.

As far as the Police are concerned, I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Personally, the drive is very picturesque and you really do not want to be rushing there or back. The road is windy in many spots, so speeding will not be an option. If you are going there, just to rush there and back, you are wasting a nice trip. Take your time and enjoy the ride, Peggy's cove and the ride back.

Plus, you really never want to be stopped by another countries Police, especially in a rented car and having to get back to make a ship. It just ain't worth it.

Cheers

Len

Didn't think of fog and some very good points about speeding and seeing the sights. Thanks for the advice.

I would head there first, try to beat the busses. We just beat them it is beautiful until everyone arrives. Sometimes a bit of fog can add to the beauty as well. Some beautiful views from the Swissair memorial also. You can always make up some time on the highway back if you do a bit of a circle, in most areas out west you are fine under 10km/h over, but it depends on the officer.

Archived