Is it just me...

kiggy

And how do you know? I think I looked pretty closely at your signature and it looks like you have NO first hand experience.

All I show in mine is the future, but in 2013 I've sailed 6 different cruise lines. You do tend to get what you pay for and every price point has it's merits. I've seen 4 really distinct levels:

Crystal

Prinsendam

14 HAL ships/Cunard

RCI/Carnival

I've really enjoyed all these levels (well, Prinsendam will come later) but can definitely tell the difference. The getaways are great on any ship (probably even Celebrity), but for the really important cruises it will be the top 2 (perhaps 3) of those levels.

Roy

I know that strychnine is poison, and haven't tried that either, Roy. Generally, if it looks like skunk, walks like a skunk, and smells like a skunk -- it's a skunk. I've heard too many horror stories about Carnival from credible people to actually pay good money for the experience myself. You're only as good as your reputation, and Carnival doesn't have much of one.

Most of my cruises have been on HAL, but I've taken some enjoyable cruises on Carnival, and they're not strychnine. :D I'm not hard to please, and Carnival helps me to stretch my vacation dollars. Next week I'm booking an Alaskan cruise on the Carnival Miracle for Sept. 2014.

Roz

We booked our cruise last week for the Eurodam Oct.2 'adventure'.

Any cruise, at any time, for any destination, can seem somewhat like a roll of the dice, and who can predict what surprise or surprises may or may not await us aboard the Eurodam.

We have been aboard 4 other HAL ships, and various other cruise lines as well.

2 000 passengers, rain, sun, wind, rough/calm seas.....will everything be completely perfect ?

My only concern now is my current lack of sleep, due to constant dreaming, reading and researching regarding our upcoming cruise.

The dice has been rolled.

We booked our cruise last week for the Eurodam Oct.2 'adventure'.

Any cruise, at any time, for any destination, can seem somewhat like a roll of the dice, and who can predict what surprise or surprises may or may not await us aboard the Eurodam.

We have been aboard 4 other HAL ships, and various other cruise lines as well.

2 000 passengers, rain, sun, wind, rough/calm seas.....will everything be completely perfect ?

My only concern now is my current lack of sleep, due to constant dreaming, reading and researching regarding our upcoming cruise.

The dice has been rolled.

No one should expect perfection on any type of vacation, or you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I DO expect the cabin stewards to pick up their dirty cleaning rags when they leave my room. I do expect to NOT throw up after a supposedly exceptional dinner like Le Cirque. I do expect that dinner be edible. That, I believe, is not being picky.

Most of my cruises have been on HAL, but I've taken some enjoyable cruises on Carnival, and they're not strychnine. :D I'm not hard to please, and Carnival helps me to stretch my vacation dollars. Next week I'm booking an Alaskan cruise on the Carnival Miracle for Sept. 2014.

Roz

Good for you!

[quote name='ICUQT']I have posted some negative comments on CC regarding HAL over the years.Admittedly, more positive than negative. But my comments have mainly been minor as compared to others and more to do with my "expectations" than anything else. Like you I find overall selection/quality of the service, food, itineraries comparable to any other cruise line.But as it was pointed out to me the Holland America of today is not the Holland America of the past. It is just another "average" cruise line that has had to make changes to stay competitive in the industry. Even though "changes" have been made, some of which I do not agree with, I understand why they have been made. Right now HAL has loyal customers in my wife and I but HAL must understand that as cruisers we all have "choices" that we as cruisers can make including switching to another cruise line. IMHO that "loyalty" base is where HAL should be directing more of their attention to.

bob[/quote]

I agree. But it looks like they are appealing to a broader base, keeping their prices somewhat stagnant, but reducing much of what made HAL special, therefore taking it out of the category of "premium" cruise line. If I had wanted that, I would have booked either NCL or RCI for my next cruise. They want the new cruiser who didn't know the HAL of yesterday. I can't believe that this is the effect of the Carnival ownership. The premium cruise is going the way of the dodo, I'm afraid.

Archived