which cruise legend or serenade?

I am trying to make my mind up between these two cruises and I keep fliping back and forward.

1. Legend of the seas from Venice 9 nights 21 oct

Venice // venice// Kotor// sea// sicily// naples// rome//florence//mareilles// barcelona

Or

2. Serenade of the seas 22 oct

Barcelona// cannes// florence// rome//naples// sea// venice// venice//Revenna//dubrovnik// 2days sea// barcelona.

Can anyone who has been on both or even one give me an opinion.

This is a (teen free escape) cruise for my DH and I so we want nice restaurants (would probably do 2 pay ones) and other child free chill out zones.

Are sea days likely to be quite rough at the end of oct.

Thanks for any help hoping to book today/tomorrow

Both ships have been revitalized recently, but Serenade is a newer ship with a few more specialty restaurants than Legend. Showers in non-suite staterooms on Serenade have circular shower doors as opposed to the shower curtains on Legend.

Before you worry too much... I think it's safe to say you'll love either one!

So let's strip away what they have in common:

Both give you the beauty and romance of Venice - perfect for your little get away.

Same w/ a picturesqe escape along the Amalfi coast from Naples.

Florence and Rome - so very much of the MUST sees in Italy.

Barcelona - my very favorite... so to me the start and finish is very appealing... but if you extend on both ends of the other you'd have Barcelona as well. But coming in a bit early into Venice, might that be a bit more expensive? I don't know what your arrival plans are (days before, etc).

Where they differ...

Kotor // Sicily // Mareilles: Never been to any of these three, sorry. Hopefully someone can insert input on these.

vs

Cannes // Ravenna // Dubrovnik //

Cannes - close enough also to Monte Carlo, Villefranche, Eze... lots of great things to select from here for your day.

Ravenna - meh. I was very disappointed with this port. Plan on paying for the transport to city center. But, if you are big on mosaics, I suspect you'd love this stop.

Dubrovnik - I'll give it a 5 on a scale of 10. I didn't hate it, we had a nice trip into the water falls, but it wasn't as amazing as so many other stops in Europe. There is some neat stuff right within walking distance as well.

It can be a bit of rough water at that time. We had some windows knocked out on my early October sailing. I don't say that to scare you, just so you have an idea of ONE possibility. As long as neither of you have severe motion sickness I wouldn't let that be a factor.

Judy

We did the same Serenade itinerary in May and it was fantastic. I would prefer to start and end in Barcelona. Probably cheaper for return airfare. We spent 5 days pre-cruise in Barcelona which was as enjoyable as the cruise. The Serenade was recently refurbished and is a fantastic ship.

I think the Serenade is a great ship. Leaving from BCN is easier than Venice IMHO. Interesting comments about rough water - we did the Liberty in Mid October and the Med was like glass. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I have been on both ships and both are beautiful and I would not make the ship the determining factor. I have also been to almost all the ports except Cannes and Ravenna. Most of the ports are great so the biggest factor is the sea days and weather you want round trip Barcelona or start in Venice and end in Barcelona. Here are a few things to consider:

Can you add more days in Venice if you embark there? Venice is amazing and it's wonderful to actually spend a few days there in a hotel and not on a ship.

Barcelona is much easier to fly into and out of than Venice.

How much do you like sea days? My DH hates them.

On the other hand the Legend itinerary will be exhausting.

I loved Dubrovnik and it is so easy to do on your own. I also loved Kotor. The sail in and out is beautiful as is the town.

The weather in the Med is impossible to predict. There can be violent storms at anytime of the year, although I have done 9 Med cruises and have never been in one. There is always a chance of bad weather but you can't let that stop you.

Travel R did a WONDERFUL review of Legend this past year- it was the Mediterranean review. It mentions taking kids on the trip- but it's not just about the kids, but the review of all the ports are very well done. PLUS he has some great pictures of the ship AND the ports- that might help you decide on places or if nothing else ideas of what to do.

I've been to Many of the ports the ships visit. Look at which cities you really want to see. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either of the ships.

Have fun deciding!

Archived