luggage question

chucki999

my wife wants to take our bags with us on board but it seems that most/all(?) leave bags at pier and have them brought to room. are you even allowed to bring all your luggage when you board? if we do carry them on will we be able to drop them off at cabin even if its hours before setting sail?

Bags need to be small enough to fit through the security scanner and I'm not sure that a standard size suitcase would fit. Cabins are not usually ready til 1-1.30pm, so it would depend on what time you boarded whether you could immediately drop your bags

As long as the will fit thru the airport size scanner and you can handle them, you can bring them on board and to your room. However, on some lines cabins are not ready when boarding begins and you would have to carry around the luggage until it is ready. Usually 1:30 or 2:00 pm.

Put any valuables or "must have" items in a carry on bag....give the rest to the porters. It's so much easier than hauling your stuff thru the ship! Your bags will arrive....it's not like airports, where your luggage could go anywhere!

thanks everyone! she's just paranoid about them getting lost or arriving late. we're going on NCL and plan on boarding early (hopefully by noon). last time we also brought on board (Carnival) and even though cabin wasn't ready we were able to drop them off at cabin

Tell your wife to cross pack the bags -- put clothes for each of you in each bag. Also put one outfit including unmentionables in your carry on. It's unlikely that your luggage will get lost but in the event 1 bag goes missing, it's really unlikely that both will disappear. There are far fewer "moving parts" with a cruise than an airline.

What cruise line?

On some cruise lines you can go immediately to your cabin upon boarding (HAL) but on others, the cabins are not ready yet.

Same is true on Princess ... immediately to your cabin upon boarding. :)

Also on our last Celebrity.

Not so on RCCL and Carnival (except that FTTF on Carnival) . :rolleyes:

Whatever ... Your carry-ons must be small enough to fit through the scanner.

LuLu

~~~~

thanks everyone! she's just paranoid about them getting lost or arriving late. we're going on NCL and plan on boarding early (hopefully by noon). last time we also brought on board (Carnival) and even though cabin wasn't ready we were able to drop them off at cabin

I've heard that many stewards won't come in and do anything else to a room once luggage has been dropped off, so you risk having the room half-cleaned if you do this.

NCL has an area on board to drop off your carry on luggage before cabins are ready~ There will be information about it in the Freestyle Daily that they give you at check in~! Just drop your bags off there and get a tag and off you go to lunch~ pick up your bags when cabins are ready!

One more thing to explain to your wife is that if you are lugging your luggage plus your carry-on's onboard, you can be causing a hazard for others. Or at the very least, a "road hazard" as you could cause obstacles for others, who are probably carrying a reasonable amount of carry-ons, or trying to board with small kids. And if the security folks tell you that you have to check in your bags...you'll end up having to go outside, hand over those to the porters and then go back through security.

Follow what the others above are saying and put your valuables (cameras, medications, passports, etc.) in a carry-on, and give the rest to a porter when you arrive at the pier along with a tip. It is very rare that your luggage won't get to your cabin at some point that afternoon. Make sure to have a legible tag with your name, cell phone number, and name of the ship on it, as well as an itinerary sheet with the same info inside your bag.

I understand your wife's feelings. I have never had a problem with my luggage and it always comes on time, but I do get that tinge of apprehension when I hand over the luggage. If they are small enough, she will feel better if you take them. It's not too big of a deal to find a sopt and sit til your room is ready. :D If they aren't small enough, just keep the important stuff with you .

I personally don't EVER set my suitcase outside my room at night, we always carry ours off. Once again, never really heard of any problems, just my paranoid apprehensions. We also just have one big one between us so carrying it off is no big deal.

Have Fun! I am 490 days out from my next cruise, one I haven't booked yet but that I know I am gonna!

Archived