Cruise Critic Community
nicoleinwi

Gps to track your route

Looking for a recommendation on a gps unit to track walking route through a city overseas. I do not need directions, just want to p,ug it in after a trip and see the route I took.

I do not want to use data on my phone. I use a great iPhone app at home but I don't want to have all that data running all day.

Also I don't want to bring a laptop on vacation, so the memory would need to be able to store a good amount. I would have iPad along though o f there was a wy to download to iPad, that'd work.

And, looking for something small, a watch would be great.

Any recommendations?

Looking for a recommendation on a gps unit to track walking route through a city overseas. I do not need directions, just want to p,ug it in after a trip and see the route I took.

I do not want to use data on my phone. I use a great iPhone app at home but I don't want to have all that data running all day.

Also I don't want to bring a laptop on vacation, so the memory would need to be able to store a good amount. I would have iPad along though o f there was a wy to download to iPad, that'd work.

And, looking for something small, a watch would be great.

Any recommendations?

The main problem is getting a GPS unit that has overseas maps installed. Most (all) units sold in Canada and USA have North American maps only installed . You'll have to buy maps for Overseas extra and install into unit .

you can buy Overseas maps , they cost about $110 USD per copy.

I have a Garmin forerunner 410, will track rote on map on Garmin connect website, Also have an Olympus camara with GPS will track route and show where pics were taken Olympus tg 2 waterproof

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Forums mobile app

I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunners, they use Bing (or maybe Google) maps so you don't have to buy the maps like you would for your car GPS.

I've been mostly looking at the 210. I do not care about anything athletic/healtwise with these. But the thing that scares me is that they say that the memory is 1000 laps. But I can't find out anyplace how long a lap is. I don't mind traveling with my ipad but I don't want to lug around a laptop. So I want to make sure I'd have enough memory on the watch to last a week without having to download it onto a laptop.

Does anyone know how a lap relates to a minute? Thank you!

I believe a lap is what ever you program it to be. Mine is set at one kilometer. Therefore I think the memory would take 1000 kms of travel. I traced our route from Dominican republic to Toronto set at 50 k laps and the memory held it all

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Forums mobile app

Edited by CWRob

Wow Rob, thanks for the info then! That sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Even if I did a week someplace, it's not like I am walking more then 20km / day so it should hold the storage! And, even 20km is really really pushing it for a walking route.

Reviving this thread for updates. Are there any good walking tour apps good for use in ports Ie (directions, attractions etc) ? Has anyone used GPSmycity?

I use my BadElf GPS Pro to track & log both my cruise and my excursions. It is a pocketable GPS receiver and logger. On the ship, I keep it on the balcony or near a window. GPS data gets logged internally and also sent via BlueTooth to my non-GPS-equipped iPad or my iPhone. It exports KML files to maps.me on my iPad without needing any wifi or external connections.

Download Google Maps on your phone. Download the maps for the areas you are visiting. Take your phone, but shut off cellular. Google Maps does a good job at stalking you to death :-)

I've just bought a gps tracking device, trackimo. So far, it worked fine with me. Although there are some people says that gps tracker won't work for a reason that they won't be receiving gps signals in the cruise. I haven't tried that yet (using my trackimo in the cruise ship) but all along with the use of it for my daily travel within the local, it works fine, it records the routes i'd been into. It's also a lightweight device and has a free attachment kit as well which is really good. I've also made a thread asking some recommendations and opinions for those who have tried using such devices but now that I have it, I can say that this device is really recommendable and the trackimo which is what i am using currently is working accurately and it's indeed a recommendable device as well.

I used an app called MAPS.ME which somebody on CC mentioned. Installed on my phone, we used it all over the Mediterranean.

It is very similar to using Google Maps, but is superior, in my opinion, because when you're offline, MAPS.ME will give you walking directions from point A to point B.  Google Maps will not - offline, it only does driving directions.  That's not really helpful in a place like Rome.

You do have to download all the maps you'll need ahead of time, which we did.  I then bookmarked all the stuff in each port that was pertinent, and we did a whole lot of DIY walking tours using it.

You do have to get in a place with a relatively clear view of the sky to get the GPS signal.  Some of the little winding narrow streets in Europe were so close that I would lose the signal for a bit and then have to back track, but it was mostly super and made it possible for us to wander around and know we weren't going to get lost.

Oh, I even used MAPS.ME to  track where we were when we were on public buses. That's how we knew where to get off.

On 8/9/2018 at 1:27 AM, newbietraveler101 said:

I've just bought a gps tracking device, trackimo. So far, it worked fine with me. Although there are some people says that gps tracker won't work for a reason that they won't be receiving gps signals in the cruise. I haven't tried that yet (using my trackimo in the cruise ship) but all along with the use of it for my daily travel within the local, it works fine, it records the routes i'd been into. It's also a lightweight device and has a free attachment kit as well which is really good. I've also made a thread asking some recommendations and opinions for those who have tried using such devices but now that I have it, I can say that this device is really recommendable and the trackimo which is what i am using currently is working accurately and it's indeed a recommendable device as well.

Anyone who tells you that does not have the even the faintest idea of how GPS works.  GPS depends upon signals transmitted from a satellite and received by your GPS unit.  As long as your GPS can see sky, it will be able to track.

DON

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2019 at 9:08 PM, donaldsc said:

Anyone who tells you that does not have the even the faintest idea of how GPS works.  GPS depends upon signals transmitted from a satellite and received by your GPS unit.  As long as your GPS can see sky, it will be able to track.

DON

If you're inside the ship, it can be tough to get a consistent GPS signal. which is perhaps what they were speaking about.

Edited by Sean_B

Posted (edited)

I usually just use Google Maps, since I have my cellular plan set up to roam for very reasonable prices. (I roamed across Baltic Europe for a week and a half for $5. Thank you, T-Mobile!)

A caution on GPS abroad: Check with the embassies of the countries you're going to before you spend the money, and make sure that such devices are legal in your ports of call. You might need to declare it on entry, you might need advance approval, or you might not be able to take it ashore at all. It depends on where you're going -- usually western countries are fine with it, but some Asian/Middle East countries may not be. I know for a fact Russia is funny about it.

Edited by Cruisingformetime