LIVE From the ALLURE of the SEAS with Trainman & Judith

Trainman-2

That's All For Tonight... :)

Enjoy your evening - I have 10 days and you are getting me so excited about my first cruise with RCI and on Allure - I'm a Carnival junkie - hope my adventure on the Allure will keep me from ever turning back!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Tomorrow we will be in Falmouth.

We are scheduled to arrive at 10:30 am.

We are going to try to find a good taxi driver who can ride us around and show and tell us about the history of the town and the buildings.

I am interested to hear how your day goes.

When we came back to the cabin from lunch I couldn't get the sliding door to the balcony open. I cussed and yelled, pulled and pushed, wiggled and shook and still couldn't get it open.

I examined the latch carefully and found that one of the mounting screws had backed out a bit.

So I called Maintenance and they said they would send someone up. I hung up the phone, looked at the door, saw something unusual that I had not seen hiding partly behind the curtain on the left.

DSCN0238_zps8874b7b8.jpg

It was a lock!

When they modified the doors so they can be latched or unlatched from the outside they added the locks to keep Pirates and College Kids out.

So I called maintenance again and told them I had found the lock and said to come fix the loose screw one day when they had nothing to do.

WOW, something I never knew. I would've been saying a few choice words too, followed by the same call to maintenance. I will check Oasis in November to see if they have them, but I have never seen them on Oasis or Allure. I never look too far behind the curtains. I am just happy that they open and shut. A great way to keep the pirates out though:)

I am enjoying the review. Hopefully your wife is not too bruised from her little tumble. The girl you took the picture of has a great smile.

Andrew

Last night, moments after my last post, a mechanic showed up to tighten the loose screw in the latch on the door to our balcony.

He ended up rebuilding the entire latch assembly which took almost two hours.

All of this time the door to the hallway was blocked open and the sliding door to the balcony was open and the hot tropical wind was roaring through the room. It was hot in the cabin! Judith was loving it and I was miserable!

But he got it fixed and moved on to his next repair assignment.

DSCN0243_zps356cef8b.jpg

Not much going on at 5 am on the Allure...

More later

Thats one of my favorite things when I cruise. I get up very early (which I normally do anyway) and go drink coffee & enjoy pastries at the little cafe while reading my Kindle while most everyone else is sleeping.

But I am "OK" for now because calories don't count when you are at sea!

Can I use that line with my doctor?

Loving your review. I can't wait to be on the Allure in 74 days.

I also have to comment on your thread on your new house. I just found that yesterday and spent all day reading it. You have a lovely house and I love all your "children". I will be following that thread and your thread on your train layout.

Hope the rest of your cruise is smooth sailing!!!!

Just curious, do you always eat in WJ? If so, why no MDR? I don't know that I could do 7 days of buffet, but that's just me :)

We are doing two Dinners at Samba's Brazilian Grille, one at Chops, and the rest in the Windjammer.

At night, the Windjammer is calm, quiet, and not crowded. There is always an excellent carved meat and so much other good offerings that it is hard to choose. Service is as g.ood as and often better than in the MDR.

Try is some time. You will be surprised!

We are doing two Dinners at Samba's Brazilian Grille, one at Chops, and the rest in the Windjammer.

At night, the Windjammer is calm, quiet, and not crowded. There is always an excellent carved meat and so much other good offerings that it is hard to choose. Service is as g.ood as and often better than in the MDR.

I agree. We ate dinner in the Windjammer most nights on our Allure cruise in April, and it was wonderful! And one night I ate dinner with some of Allure's senior officers in the Windjammer and that alone was a treat. :D

Hi Trainman,

Glad to see another review from you! We just got off the Oasis last week and I actually heard people talking about the "trainman breakfast sandwhich". You are quite a celebrity on these boards and on the ships! We had the pleasure of meeting Rev on our last cruise. I know she was doing a back to back, but I thought she was headed to the Allure. I must be wrong and she is on the Oasis! She told us what wonderful people you and your wife are. I hope someday my husband and I sail at the same time as you guys and have the opportunity to meet you. Enjoy your cruise!

on our cruise in august, we ate MTD in the MDR every night, but DD and DSIL ate in the WJ every night and had nothing but good things to say about it!!!

Archived