Rumours for 2015

DISNEY FANTASY

The Disney Magic can still fit into the Panama Canal locks. But with her duck tail, the clearance is such that she requires "special handling" by the mules and as such, is very expensive and difficult to schedule.

Interesting. We did the 2005 EB Panama crossing. At that time we were told that the ship was intentionally built 1 inch less than the maximum width allowed and 1 foot shorter than the max length. The duck tail exceeds that max length....and we all saw what happened to the side of the ship (that 1 inch might be hypothetical, but the ship hit the sides many times. On the WB it gouged a huge hunk out of the hull!)

I'm not a ship expert by any means; just know what we were told by speakers on board.

I was on the same cruise, there was a scratch down the side that they repainted, 2005 was the first time a Disney ship went through the canal.

I saw them re painting it, and got sprayed with the paint.

There is width and length, there is no more give in width it is tight, length wise yes they would say the Magic is at the top of the required length, but as the magic is now, it can get through Panama but I would say that's in an emergency and they wouldn't want to do it.

Not there have been plans, before anyone try's to be " funny" these are plans and could well change due to the Panama situation.

Plan A

Wonder to come to Europe in 2016 sail the Med and have it's transformation in Cadiz in September 2016 like the Magic.

Therefore Magic goes to Alaska.

But that is now subject to change, the docks at Cadiz have reported winning the contract for it in their newspapers, you can google it. So they think they got it.

Not Magic has a two week gap at the end of summer 2015 now I understood that was a trip to Istanbul, but now it could be a mini dry dock in Cadiz, routine nothing more.

I was on the same cruise, there was a scratch down the side that they repainted, 2005 was the first time a Disney ship went through the canal.

There is width and length, there is no more give in width it is tight, length wise yes they would say the Magic is at the top of the required length, but as the magic is now, it can get through Panama but I would say that's in an emergency and they wouldn't want to do it.

Not there have been plans, before anyone try's to be " funny" these are plans and could well change due to the Panama situation.

Plan A

Wonder to come to Europe in 2016 sail the Med and have it's transformation in Cadiz in September 2016 like the Magic.

But that is now subject to change, the docks at Cadiz have reported winning the contract for it in their newspapers, you can google it. So they think they got it.

Not Magic has a two week gap at the end of summer 2015 now I understood that was a trip to Istanbul, but now it could be a mini dry dock in Cadiz, routine nothing more.

By looking and reading your blog, I would think you are a Diney cruiseline expert along with a fan

Plan A

It's a dry dock according to those in the know. She's due for a minor one and hull inspection.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
To me they have run out if ships, Magic in Europe, Wonder in Alaska, Fantasy in Carribean, and a dream in Bahsmas, now never say never as things can and do change, but they can't do everything, the Med and Alaska are selling very well indeed at higher prices than out of Florida where VGR zare coming out, New York to Bahamas sold ok, but not impressive.

That New York to Bahamas cruise was sold out! I know because my husband and I tried to upgrade and were told there was nothing available as everything was sold out. Everyone that was on the ship was overjoyed at not having to fly as they were able to spend that money on board. If you sold every cabin, what would have made it impressive? A gladiator fight for a balcony cabin?:D

That New York to Bahamas cruise was sold out! I know because my husband and I tried to upgrade and were told there was nothing available as everything was sold out. Everyone that was on the ship was overjoyed at not having to fly as they were able to spend that money on board. If you sold every cabin, what would have made it impressive? A gladiator fight for a balcony cabin?:D

They had to offer discounts to fill them and not all were full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They had to offer discounts to fill them and not all were full.

Which sailing needed price drops to fill them? I was just checking a website that lets you follow price drops. There is a section that lets you look at historical pricing. Every sailing I looked it shows prices either staying at the initial price, or in "red" which signify the price going up.

Which sailing needed price drops to fill them? I was just checking a website that lets you follow price drops. There is a section that lets you look at historical pricing. Every sailing I looked it shows prices either staying at the initial price, or in "red" which signify the price going up.

I was going by Travel Agent quotes at the time and reports from friends. If your checking Cruise fish it isn't always accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Interesting. We did the 2005 EB Panama crossing. At that time we were told that the ship was intentionally built 1 inch less than the maximum width allowed and 1 foot shorter than the max length. The duck tail exceeds that max length....and we all saw what happened to the side of the ship (that 1 inch might be hypothetical' date=' but the ship hit the sides many times. On the WB it gouged a huge hunk out of the hull!)

I'm not a ship expert by any means; just know what we were told by speakers on board.[/quote']

Technically its true. Theres 2 different sizes for the locks. Theres the actual size, and also the usable size. The usable size depends on the length of the individual gate sizes. I figured it out one day that she would still fit, on the assumption that she got permission to begin with. They would have to wiggle a little bit, and prob leave a set of lock doors open, but I think she could do it.

The Disney Magic can still fit into the Panama Canal locks. But with her duck tail, the clearance is such that she requires "special handling" by the mules and as such, is very expensive and difficult to schedule.

Theres also a special permission that needs to be acquired. Its usually done on a case by case basis, and usually its only a one off permission.

• 2 months later...
I wonder if the Magic will go back into Dry Dock in 2015 before the Baltic cruises to fix all of the unfinished things?

ex techie

There are no gaps in the Magic's schedule for that to happen before the baltic/Norway cruises.

There is no time for the magic to sail to Hing Kong either. The magic had cruises right up until the ebta and get first baltic immediately after that. If they wanted to dry dock the magic they'd have to cancel existing cruises are already booked. The last rumour I heard was she'd dry dock in the fall for routine maintenance, but I haven't followed up on that one.

Edited by DahliaRW

There is no time for the magic to sail to Hing Kong either. The magic had cruises right up until the ebta and get first baltic immediately after that. If they wanted to dry dock the magic they'd have to cancel existing cruises are already booked. The last rumour I heard was she'd dry dock in the fall for routine maintenance, but I haven't followed up on that one.

Please excuse me as to dates. I may be wrong, but shipboard issues change things.

The link was to what I have been told would be her new home once she is retired from the current PC and yearly Med cruises. Not for her next dry dock.

That would be back in Cadiz to finish off what they failed to complete.

ex techie

The Hong Kong Disney rumour had been around since 2009...

And every time I've said it was the case has been shot down.

It's no rumor the Wonder has been limping with one engine/generator down.

Will she have just a regular dry dock to keep her sea worthy and keep her inside palatable to paying Guests, or receive the full works like her sister that is to be sent overseas to a growing cruise market???

ex techie

If rumour holds true, The Wonder might do Europe in 2016 (with the Magic doing Alaska, depending on the Canal) and then get her full dry dock/upgrades before the WBTA. In theory, the Magic is having her routine dry dock this fall (there is a nice gap between the last Med cruise which ends September 5th and the WBTA that begins September 19th), but there is not enough time for anything major in that 2 week stint. And I doubt they want to risk it. With the Dream going into dry dock at the end of September, they need the Magic back in FL on time to do the Bahama cruises. I personally don't think DCL will hit the Asian market until they have more than 4 ships... If ever... We shall see...