Last day of cruise and flying home

sunjelina

Just planning our Carribean cruise on Ventura for October 2013. Think I have got a good idea of what we will be doing now, that is except for our final day. We dock in Barbados that morning and our flight is at 15.05 and was just wondering what the process is for the airport and if we will have time to do anything on this day.

You will have to put your case outside the room the night before, keep your hand luggage with you. You can please yourself then, you will get told what time your bus will take to to the airport, likely to be c3hrs before departure timee, until that time you can do what you want either on the ship or on land in Barbados - you will need to leave your room by c8am.

Hi, PO will give you a time for the coach to the airport. I would guess if your flight is 15:05 it takes about 1 hour to get there so between 11 and 11:30 would be my guess.

You could go out or the dy and get a taxi straight to the airport or just take a taxi into town then back to the ship. You can hire a day cabin or just shower in the spa area.

If we are on an early flight we generally stay on board and enjoy the last of the sunshine.

Sue

P&O always send you offf to the airport as early as possible. There are screens around the ship displaying your flight and when you will be called. A very slick operation all round

The only thing you will have time to do is to go ashore into the big shopping area in the terminal building - lots of craft items on sale there

Barbados airport is expensive - even to buy a small bottle of water so don't plan on buying goodies there

Are you sailing out to the Caribbean?

Have a wonderful cruise

Caryl

Hi, PO will give you a time for the coach to the airport. I would guess if your flight is 15:05 it takes about 1 hour to get there so between 11 and 11:30 would be my guess.

You could go out or the dy and get a taxi straight to the airport or just take a taxi into town then back to the ship. You can hire a day cabin or just shower in the spa area.

If we are on an early flight we generally stay on board and enjoy the last of the sunshine.

Sue

I didnt know that it is an hour journey time to barbados airport. We fly home on 8th November. Any idea how much a taxi would cost us. Id rather leave when we want.

Thanks everyone, that has helped a lot. Think we will just see how we feel on the morning, maybe go for a wander if we are feeling energetic or maybe like you, just make the most of the last sunshine and our time on the ship. Thanks Caryl for the airport tip, will have to make sure I do plenty of shopping at the ports ;)

Whoops just another question, read through replies again and wondering what happens to suitcases if we make our own way to airport. Where would we get our luggage to check it in?

It would be my guess that unless you do self disembarkation where you take your own luggage ashore you wounld pick them up in some baggage hall?

You don't check your luggage in. It is easy. PO collect your luggage after midnight from outside your cabin. Make sure you have left going home clothes and shoes in your wardrobe. You will not see your suitcase again until you are in UK.

Sue

You don't check your luggage in. It is easy. PO collect your luggage after midnight from outside your cabin. Make sure you have left going home clothes and shoes in your wardrobe. You will not see your suitcase again until you are in UK.

Sue

Sue,sunjelina asked about getting luggage when making your own way to airport,does it still work this way?

P & O do a trip on the day of departure that takes you straight to the airport.

We found the day of departure to be a very slick process, our flight was delayed and they kept us on the ship until it had landed, we arrived at the airport with a 2.5 hour wait which I thought was very good.

Luggage is bonded, it gets picked up at midnight, put in containers for each flight and transport to the airport whilst we sleep. So no worry that you are going to be overweight at check-in

When you leave the ship they take your pass off you so in effect you are electronically checked off the ship, so if you are making your own way to the airport you would have to make it clear when you were going of the ship that your weren't coming back and take you hand luggage with you.

Last time we went for a walk about in the morning at the port then got back on the ship had lunch and sat in the sun until the last minute we could when they called our flight on the tanoy.

Thanks Soobs, sounds perfect! Think that is what we will do, a stroll and back to the ship. Also are you saying that although we have been given a 23kg luggage allowance, we wont actually be checking it in .... if this is the case I can feel a little extra shopping coming on :)

I didnt know that it is an hour journey time to barbados airport. We fly home on 8th November. Any idea how much a taxi would cost us. Id rather leave when we want.

Ive since done a bit research into this. The cost of a taxi from bridgetown to grantley adams airport is around 30US Dollars not sure of journey time though.

It all depends on Barbados traffic really

Last time we were on the bus it took an hour -traffic in town was busy but could have been worse

I would stick with the P&O transfer - enjoy a last minute sunning session on the ship and an early lunch. The time will fly past. Barbados airport will be very busy - it can be a bit confusing with all those people queuing outside as groups of passengers spill out of the shuttles.

Caryl

It all depends on Barbados traffic really

Last time we were on the bus it took an hour -traffic in town was busy but could have been worse

I would stick with the P&O transfer - enjoy a last minute sunning session on the ship and an early lunch. The time will fly past. Barbados airport will be very busy - it can be a bit confusing with all those people queuing outside as groups of passengers spill out of the shuttles.

Caryl

Thanks for that. I might still go by taxi,the fare is set by the mileage not meter or time so its still a good option. Strange question I know but did your coach have a toilet onboard,an hour is quite long for some people. If p&o still take your luggage when you make your own way to airport we could do as we please and get a taxi from town or wherever we end up

We have always had a relaxing morning on board the ship and then enjoyed a lunch in the restaurant. We were called for the coaches just as we'd finished lunch. It will be important to let the ship know if you are making your own way to the airport. When you get all your disembarkation literature you will find that your cases will automatically be checked in - you don't see them once you have put them outside your cabin the night before until you get to your UK airport - so that when the coach drops you at the airport you are guided straight through security and to the departure lounge.

We have certainly had hold-ups on the way to the airport due to traffic and I wouldn't risk going by taxi myself. P&O have a very slick operation in getting passengers to the airport and it enables you to have some time on board using all the facilities until it's time for them to get you to the airport.

Sue,sunjelina asked about getting luggage when making your own way to airport,does it still work this way?

Yes exactly the same way. Luggage is collected on the last night and you don't see it again until you get to the UK.

sue

Thanks for that. I might still go by taxi,the fare is set by the mileage not meter or time so its still a good option. Strange question I know but did your coach have a toilet onboard,an hour is quite long for some people. If p&o still take your luggage when you make your own way to airport we could do as we please and get a taxi from town or wherever we end up

No, the coaches don't have toilets on board. I recommend you listen to those above who recommend you do the P&O transfer, much easier and P&O do have a wonderful operation to ensure everything goes smoothly. I wouldn't have thought the transfer takes as much as an hour really and there aren't usually any big traffic problems at that time of day.

Our flights back to UK have always been around the same time as yours and we have always either taken a P&O trip on the morning of departure or, as last time, we walked round to the Lords cricket ground and had a tour around there for a few $, not expensive, and then called into the cricket museum on the way back to the ship for lunch. Even though I am not really into cricket, I went along for my DH to enjoy it, but I found it really interesting too. There is also a chocolate factory very near to the port and they do tours as well but you used to have to book in advance on-line for that. Plenty of shops at the port too, of course.

No, the coaches don't have toilets on board. I recommend you listen to those above who recommend you do the P&O transfer, much easier and P&O do have a wonderful operation to ensure everything goes smoothly. I wouldn't have thought the transfer takes as much as an hour really and there aren't usually any big traffic problems at that time of day.

Our flights back to UK have always been around the same time as yours and we have always either taken a P&O trip on the morning of departure or, as last time, we walked round to the Lords cricket ground and had a tour around there for a few $, not expensive, and then called into the cricket museum on the way back to the ship for lunch. Even though I am not really into cricket, I went along for my DH to enjoy it, but I found it really interesting too. There is also a chocolate factory very near to the port and they do tours as well but you used to have to book in advance on-line for that. Plenty of shops at the port too, of course.

No you're not into cricket are you Essex lass lol (lords???)

Agree with Essex lass safer to stick with P@O transfer, you might like to think about booking the business lounge at Barbados Airport reasonably priced and very comfortable.

BB

No you're not into cricket are you Essex lass lol (lords???)

Agree with Essex lass safer to stick with P@O transfer, you might like to think about booking the business lounge at Barbados Airport reasonably priced and very comfortable.

BB

Ooops, sorry its Kensington Oval :D

As regards the bus to the airport

They have a varied assortment of vehicles for these transfers

Our last trip to Barbados airport was on a mini bus - extremely cramped. We sat with our chins on our hand luggage

No toilets on any of these buses - The Caribbean is ....well...its the Caribbean!

Sunjelina -your luggage will be fine - sssssssshhhh!! Dont speak about it. Its one of the rare perks we seem to get flying back from Barbados!

Caryl

Archived