GoPro

MarTex

Thanks for the response, very helpful. Still pondering the purchase though. I'm sure I'll get one, but very leery about lugging it all over the UK, so I may wait.

In addition to the bubble wrap and rubber band solution, I wonder if altering the original shipping material to stabilize the head and motors would work?

The G4 comes in a box with a cut-out styrofoam liner if memory serves correctly. That would serve very well to protect the device - just keep it in its box.

If you're going to use a GoPro you'll need some kind of handle or mount anyway. The G4 is not that much more difficult to carry than a typical handle, and it really makes a huge difference.

If you're not sure whether a gimbal is worth the inconvenience or not, just watch this 3 minute video that shows a few scenes with and without a gimbal. The quality it adds to your video is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Tom -

I've done calibration with the FunnyGo and read through the process for firmware updates and calibration with the G4. The FunnyGo is more difficult in that its control panel is much more involved. (It comes from a drone background where people understand things like pitch, yaw, altitude, etc. LOL) The G4 was more simple on the options for calibration - again, based on what I've read and watched at Youtube. I'm about to do a calibration on the G4, which will necessitate a firmware update, so I'll know more on that shortly.

Here's a video on the firmware update process to give you a better sense on what's involved:

Your integration of the gimbal with the computer happens so infrequently that it really shouldn't be a big issue. If you do it more than a couple times a year I'd be surprised. If I were a Mac user I'd probably be irritated as well, but you have the HP you can use on the rare occasions where you need to do it.

Both gimbals feel like they were built very well, but they do have sensitive motors that control the motion. The more they get tugged and banged the more often you'll have to calibrate them; you're thinking along the right lines about transporting them safely.

The G4 is about 9" long. The FunnyGo is closer to 13" long - so the G4 is smaller to carry around.

I carry both my gimbals in a backpack camera bag. I put a Crown Royal bag over the head of each one to keep the gimbals' frames from getting snagged by something else in the bag. I had that happen with my G4 on the cruise . . . and now I have to calibrate it LOL

If you don't have bags like that, perhaps a cover for your driver or 3W out of your golf bag?

If you're not using a camera bag, you can still transport it in your suitcase. If I were doing that I'd wrap in in a couple layers of bubble wrap with rubber bands to hold it in place. I wouldn't be comfortable with just putting it into the suitcase without some legitimate protection though. Those gimbal motors are built to very close tolerance, so a good thump could cause problems.

Along with the gimbal you'll have to carry extra batteries, a charger and a cable - also a USB / AC plug if you don't want to charge the batteries with a computer. The G4's extension poles are super light and easy to throw into a suitcase.

Great info thanks. Received my G4 yesterday so been playing around a lot but more of that today. Will be doing calibration and firmware update over the weekend as well

I'm already super impressed with it and how much it is going to improve my footage. It's also real easy to get camera in and out so quick to move to other mounts etc.

• 1 month later...
Great info thanks. Received my G4 yesterday so been playing around a lot but more of that today. Will be doing calibration and firmware update over the weekend as well

I'm already super impressed with it and how much it is going to improve my footage. It's also real easy to get camera in and out so quick to move to other mounts etc.

FW 1.11 was the latest what does the newer firmware do?

I like to hear your thoughts?

GOpro63

I have only myself to blame, but figuring out Feiyu-Tech's firmware procedure is proving a more challenging task than I planned for. Looks like I'll be taking a non-updated G4 to Europe on Saturday. Having played with it a little, I think I should be OK as it is.

My advice to others who've purchased one: if you plan to update your firmware, do it when you have time and not when you're busy prepping for a trip.