GLBT meetings on Carnival

robear14

The last Carnival Cruise I went on the LGBT gathering was great, decent amount of gay guys who I hung out with for the entire cruise. I think its really hit or miss. I'm on the Miracle next month and we'll see what the gathering brings. So far the ship is rather empty, ton of cabins still up for grabs. That alone tells me I shouldn't have high expectations on meeting others. Honestly I don't care, its not why I'm going, it would just be a plus.

Like others, I've seen a variety of turn out for FOD meetings on my 3 previous carnival cruises. The best was on the Triumph in 2010 out of New Orleans. We grew each night and by the last night of a 5 night cruise, we were about 15 people. We had a blast and we're still Facebook friends with a couple of them. Unfortunately, our first cruise was a bust. The last one was too, but that was Carnival's fault. They booked FOD in the empty piano bar. No one wanted to hang out in an empty room. We complained and they sent a bartender to bring us drinks, but they wouldn't reschedule the venue (probably because they already had the Fun Times printed). One other issue is that they have them at different times and different places. On the Triumph it was at the same bar every night, and maybe even the same time. I think that's what really got people there. Well, we'll show up for the FOD meetings on our next cruise and hope for the best: June 1 out of Baltimore on the Carnival Pride.

• 1 month later...

My first cruise I didn't know about it until the first meeting had passed, but we cruised by trying to get a peek the rest of the week but didn't see anyone.

However I was set for the next cruise. I met two gay couples on this forum and then we had an agreement to meet at the first FOD meeting. We had the best time the 4 of us girls and the 4 guys. We convinced them to get off the boat with us in Jamaica and be our beards. They had not planned to do an excursion but were swayed into joining us. We'd planned on going to a private beach club where the risk of crazy was low. I still remember that as one of the best off ship experiences I've ever had. We snorkeled and beach bummed most of the day. But then we found the small water park that wasn't busy at all. All of us in our 30-40s played like children. Running up and down the waterslides, splashing in the pool, and floating the lazy river.

If anyone happens to be on CCL Magic April 20th drop me a line.

Miami Spartan, I know this reply is almost a year late now- but I have often wondered if the timing wasn't part of the problem for these gatherings. I am actually straight, but we had several gay friends on our last cruise and they didn't care to go to FOD gatherings because it cut into other activities they preferred. I would think having it around cocktail hour 5-6 or 6-7 would be ideal.

Miami Spartan, I know this reply is almost a year late now- but I have often wondered if the timing wasn't part of the problem for these gatherings. I am actually straight, but we had several gay friends on our last cruise and they didn't care to go to FOD gatherings because it cut into other activities they preferred. I would think having it around cocktail hour 5-6 or 6-7 would be ideal.

I seem to recall the times varied on the Carnival ships. I think because it's tough to schedule much of anything if you don't want to hit either dinner hour. I'll report back after our June 1 cruise on the Carnival Pride.

• 2 weeks later...
I seem to recall the times varied on the Carnival ships. I think because it's tough to schedule much of anything if you don't want to hit either dinner hour. I'll report back after our June 1 cruise on the Carnival Pride.

I'd love to go, in fact, I did go to one on the Liberty in July 2013, but there was no one there. I cruised solo that cruise.

The timing that Carnival schedules the events for is, like many others have said, just at odd times. I agree, have them at a reasonable hour and quite possibly others will join to meet and greet. I went to that one and didn't go back the duration of the cruise as I had other things going on with dinner, shows, etc.

I'd love to go, in fact, I did go to one on the Liberty in July 2013, but there was no one there. I cruised solo that cruise.

The timing that Carnival schedules the events for is, like many others have said, just at odd times. I agree, have them at a reasonable hour and quite possibly others will join to meet and greet. I went to that one and didn't go back the duration of the cruise as I had other things going on with dinner, shows, etc.

That's just it. If you're doing dinner and the show on a shore day, when would be a reasonable time? It has to be very late or very early.

That's just it. If you're doing dinner and the show on a shore day, when would be a reasonable time? It has to be very late or very early.

Who says there has to be one per day....why not give the option of having 2 during the dinner/show times? I know how that may sound, but I don't think having the meet and greets are ever going to be at a time where people can come and socialize.

I would be very interested in hearing others views on this.

Who says there has to be one per day....why not give the option of having 2 during the dinner/show times? I know how that may sound, but I don't think having the meet and greets are ever going to be at a time where people can come and socialize.

I would be very interested in hearing others views on this.

Interesting thought...Maybe a cocktail hour just before each dinner hour?

Of 3 Carnival Cruises:

1 - We "recruited" a couple of people who we met elsewhere to join us for a couple of the FOD meetings, but no others ever showed. (FOD held different times in different locations)

2 - We started strong and got larger each night (FOD was held in the same bar everynight, with the same bartender - I think at the same time, too - don't know if that had anything to do with it, or was it just that we left out of New Orleans?)

3 - FOD meetings held in piano bar that was unstaffed and dark. 4-5 people did stop by over the course of 2 nights, but of course no one stayed. We stopped going after the 2nd night.

Interesting thought...Maybe a cocktail hour just before each dinner hour?

Of 3 Carnival Cruises:

1 - We "recruited" a couple of people who we met elsewhere to join us for a couple of the FOD meetings, but no others ever showed. (FOD held different times in different locations)

2 - We started strong and got larger each night (FOD was held in the same bar everynight, with the same bartender - I think at the same time, too - don't know if that had anything to do with it, or was it just that we left out of New Orleans?)

3 - FOD meetings held in piano bar that was unstaffed and dark. 4-5 people did stop by over the course of 2 nights, but of course no one stayed. We stopped going after the 2nd night.

That's been my experience with the FOD meetings...in a dark area where the music or entertainment overshadows the conversation. So, an area that is open, well-lit, and has easy access to the drinks would be the ideal location. One other thought, why not have them outside say at the Adult serenity area. Afterall, we are all adults here.

That's been my experience with the FOD meetings...in a dark area where the music or entertainment overshadows the conversation. So, an area that is open, well-lit, and has easy access to the drinks would be the ideal location. One other thought, why not have them outside say at the Adult serenity area. Afterall, we are all adults here.

That is also a great idea!

My boyfriend and I tried to attend a Friends of Dorothy gathering on our cruise in April 2013, but there was no one there... Which we though was weird, considering we had seen several couples at a couple of bars during the trip.

We had a really cool experience the first night of our cruise, though, which I think is worth sharing... We were at the ship's nightclub having a few drinks before heading to bed, and the DJ decided to play a slower song. The dance floor cleared out, and my boyfriend (who was a little drunk, lol) insisted upon dragging me out to slow dance with me on a completely empty dance floor (which terrified me! I'm not a "public show if affection"-type guy). Within a few minutes, there were two other gay couples dancing with each other on the floor, as well. And it was a really cool moment. Loved our time at sea on the Carnival Paradise! :)

Paul and J.D. :)

Carnival Glory May 2014

Carnival Paradise April 2013

Swung past the Pinnacle bar (decent location - deck 9 aft bar) around the time of the LGBT meet/greet on all 3 nights. No one (actually, may have been one guy, since he was sitting at the bar all by himself) showed up. Since I was solo, I had hoped to find possible dinner companions. So much for that......

Guess I better stick with traveling with my own "gay posse" when cruising.

Swung past the Pinnacle bar (decent location - deck 9 aft bar) around the time of the LGBT meet/greet on all 3 nights. No one (actually, may have been one guy, since he was sitting at the bar all by himself) showed up. Since I was solo, I had hoped to find possible dinner companions. So much for that......

Guess I better stick with traveling with my own "gay posse" when cruising.

So the other I wonder is how many gay folks don't know what FOD is when they see it in the Fun Times. We've certainly met some who didn't know.

So the other I wonder is how many gay folks don't know what FOD is when they see it in the Fun Times. We've certainly met some who didn't know.

The Fun Times said LGBT Gathering (actually said GLBT on one of the nights) for our meet/greet. Same terminology was used on my Princess Cruise last year. Would be surprised if any cruise line still uses "Friends of Dorothy", since most people under 40-ish wouldn't have a clue what that even means.

The Fun Times said LGBT Gathering (actually said GLBT on one of the nights) for our meet/greet. Same terminology was used on my Princess Cruise last year. Would be surprised if any cruise line still uses "Friends of Dorothy", since most people under 40-ish wouldn't have a clue what that even means.

Our Carnival cruises in 09 and 10 both billed the meetings as Friends of Dorothy. I'm pretty sure the didn't include the GLBT label.We had straight people come by and ask what it was.