robear14

GLBT meetings on Carnival

My wife and I just did the Fantasy in November and it was an experience. We're used to cruising out of LGBT friendly ports (Baltimore, NYC, Boston), so it was a change. We didn't have any negative experiences per se, but there were some awkward moments when we dined with other people.

This is just a general observation with a few follow up questions -

I've now been on 4 Carnival cruises and on every cruise there's been a GLBT or Friends of Dorothy Meeting listed on the FunTimes (Carnival's daily events brochure if you've never been on Carnival). There's always been one listed for every day of the cruise, but my husband and I only go to the one on the first night... and we're the only ones that go!

We've also never seen any signage or Carnival staff to organize the meeting at the specified spot... But we do always notice more than one gay couple on the ship, so we know they're on board.

Do people just not go on the first night? Is it a Carnival thing? Do people just not go to these meet and greets in general?:confused:

I have noticed that myself on the past Carnival cruises my hubby and I have been on. There is never someone from the crew to help the guests mingle, and sometimes it's hard to tell who is there for it, if anyone else even shows up at all. :confused:

On our 2nd Princess cruise several years ago, we went to a meeting, that had a crewmember leading the group, which helped to break the ice. But on cruises since this hasn't seemed to happen.

I hope we have better luck on our next cruise this September in the Miracle. :D

Hello there

After much hesitation my friend and I decided to attend the GBLT get together on the first night of our Halloween cruise last year on Carnival Elation

We met THE best group of gay men I have ever met on a ship

We had so much fun and I was expecting very little

I would always go along from now on

I agree that it is a bit sad that the gay officers and crew do not attend but they try and shy away from any shenanigans and I suppose that encouraging that would not look right?

I hope you enjoy your birthday cruise!

I find that the first night or two and early on can be quiet, but that later in the evening and later in the week people always seem to come out. We usually will go early-ish and stick it out. Lately we've met a lot of fantastic people! Some cruises the martini bar turns into "the" place to be after dinner, with a lot of straight guests sticking around for the fun company!

Also, more often than not we have had staff join us. Some of the social hosts and sometimes dancers always seem to make an appearance at least once in the week. Hope this keeps up!

wife and I will be on the Carnival Dream out of new orleans on Dec. 9th 2018 and will be hoping to find a bi female for us, and a bi/gay man for some alone time for him

Carnival just doesn't care.

The longer the cruise the more likely FOD meetings will have attendees. Trans Atlantic cruises are always well attended.

Many successful meetings start around happy hour 5ish..Carnival advertises their get togethers late and I have never in 82 cruises been to what I would consider a successful one. Obviously Carnival just doesn't care.

Dennis

Jacksonville ,Fl

707 days at sea

82 cruises

14 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska