Transportation from CT to Bayonne, NJ

cweed

You might have better luck if you post this on the Ports/United States/East Coast Departures board. But have you considered just driving to the port and parking your car? Parking is not cheap ($19 a day), but its very convenient and close to the port terminal building. Another option would be find transportation from your home to Newark Airport and then take a taxi from the airport to the port.

Hank

We are sailing out of Bayonne on Celebrity and would like to take transportation from the Hartford, CT area. Does anyone know of such a service - bus, limo, etc. Thank you

You might look at the train. I think there is an Amtrak station in Hartford, and the Northeast Regional goes to NY Penn - from there, you can take cab to cruise terminal.

You might look at the train. I think there is an Amtrak station in Hartford, and the Northeast Regional goes to NY Penn - from there, you can take cab to cruise terminal.

One should consider the cost. If you take Amtrak from Hartford to Penn Station I believe you would have to change in New Haven. And the cost of a ticket would be about $57 per person (one way) so a couple would spend about $228 round trip. And then you have to add the taxi to Bayonne which would be about $50 each way. This means the final cost of this adventure would be at least $328 for a couple who would have to drag their luggage on to several trains and through train stations. And you would also have to get to and from the Hartford train station. The cost for parking right at the cruise terminal would be about $190 for a 10 day cruise.

In the final analysis it is a lot more convenient and no more costly to simply drive to the port. And what is really nice is when you disembark the ship you just walk over to your car and you are on your way home.

Hank

One should consider the cost. If you take Amtrak from Hartford to Penn Station I believe you would have to change in New Haven. And the cost of a ticket would be about $57 per person (one way) so a couple would spend about $228 round trip. And then you have to add the taxi to Bayonne which would be about $50 each way. This means the final cost of this adventure would be at least $328 for a couple who would have to drag their luggage on to several trains and through train stations. And you would also have to get to and from the Hartford train station. The cost for parking right at the cruise terminal would be about $190 for a 10 day cruise.

In the final analysis it is a lot more convenient and no more costly to simply drive to the port. And what is really nice is when you disembark the ship you just walk over to your car and you are on your way home.

Hank

I am not claiming that its the cheapest way to go :). Some trains go direct through Hartford to NY, and some do not and you need to change in New Haven (so you are correct). Depending on when they travel, the cost will vary - I saw rates as cheap as $40 per person one way (reserved seat), so $80 each way plus taxes. Driving is, by far, the cheapest - however, for me, you could not pay me to drive from CT to Bayonne. I would rather pay for train or limo to avoid 95, Merritt Parkway, or any of the bridges. :D

There are some direct trains from Hartford, CT to Newark Airport. About 6:30 AM to 9:30 am , returning about 6:00 PM from Newark Airport, getting to Hartford about 9:00 PM. About $85 R/T per person. Probably a $20 cab ride from the airport to Bayonne Cruise Port.. If you are willing to change trains either at Penn Station in New York or New Haven, CT, there are many more trains

There are some direct trains from Hartford, CT to Newark Airport. About 6:30 AM to 9:30 am , returning about 6:00 PM from Newark Airport, getting to Hartford about 9:00 PM. About $85 R/T per person. Probably a $20 cab ride from the airport to Bayonne Cruise Port.. If you are willing to change trains either at Penn Station in New York or New Haven, CT, there are many more trains

You don't want to take a train to Newark Airport unless the airport is your destination. There is no ground access or transportation at the Newark Airport station...it exists only as a transfer point between Northeast Corridor Amtrak and NJ Transit trains to the AirTrain that shuttles passengers to and from the airport and within the airport grounds.

The appropriate station to use, when traveling on either Amtrak or NJ Transit is Newark Penn Station (and your train ticket will cost less too, as an airport access surcharge is tacked onto tickets starting or ending at Newark Airport station).

And a taxi ride to Cape Liberty will cost about $50 plus tolls and tip, not $20.

Academy Bus Lines offers service from various places in New England, including the Hartford area, to Cape Liberty for $110 per person, round trip. (this service was formerly operated as Entertainment Tours):

https://www.enttours.com/destinationdetail.aspx?iDestinationInfoId=13

Academy Bus Lines offers service from various places in New England, including the Hartford area, to Cape Liberty for $110 per person, round trip. (this service was formerly operated as Entertainment Tours):

https://www.enttours.com/destinationdetail.aspx?iDestinationInfoId=13

Wondered if that was still an option since we used it a couple of times when we sailed Celebrity and it was Academy Bus Lines at the time. You're a better "searcher" than I.:) IMO, this is the best option for the OP if they can pick it up not far from where they live. The bus driver loaded our bags and we never saw them again until they were delivered to our cabin. BTW, when we used the service, it was FREE.

Thank you for all your responses. As it happened someone did recommend Academy Bus Line and it looks like that will be our best option. Leaves right from Hartford which will be about 1/2 hour from us. Thanks again, as usual, very helpful cruisers!

Archived