Cruising for a birthday

theriac

I've been told before that carnival will upgrade you at check in if the ship isn't full if someone is going to have a birthday during the cruise. Does anyone on here know that to be true?

Also do the waiters do anything or do you have to inform them of a birthday like at a restaurant? I'm just curious about this one because I really want to, actually I'd LOVE embarrass my father as he enjoyed doing to me when I was growing up.

I'll be on the Breeze in at the beginning of December if that matters.

Thanks!

I don't think they do anything special. I haven't heard of any upgrades at check-in either. None of that happened for us. But when my mom celebrated a birthday last year on board the Magic, I did have to tell the waiter that "it's her birthday today". I whispered it while I was ordering my food, and then noticed my mom looking right at me. After dinner, I asked if she knew that I told them, and she didn't. She thought I was asking about a menu item. But during dessert, a few waiters came over with a cake, and announced that she was celebrating her "29th" birthday, and they sang Happy Birthday to her. Everyone in the area heard it, but they didn't use a microphone for the whole dining room to hear.

I highly doubt getting an upgrade thing. There are TONS of people celebrating something on board(birthday, wedding, engagement, etc...) everyone can't have an upgrade.

You can order birthday decorations and cake through the Fun Shops to be in your room. Also if you tell the waiters they will bring dessert and sing.

Certainly you can bring your own decor to put on the cabin door too.

My parents gave me a cruise for my birthday back in 2009. There was a cake waiting in our room but other than that nothing. We are taking my sister in law on her first real cruise on her birthday in Feb. Our PvP asked when we would like the cake delivered. That's going to be the last night of the cruise in the MDR. That's all we have ever gotten on birthday cruises for free. We are however paying for carnival to decorate my SIL`s cabin.

I've been told before that carnival will upgrade you at check in if the ship isn't full if someone is going to have a birthday during the cruise. Does anyone on here know that to be true?

Nope. Sorry. Not true.

Also do the waiters do anything or do you have to inform them of a birthday like at a restaurant? I'm just curious about this one because I really want to, actually I'd LOVE embarrass my father as he enjoyed doing to me when I was growing up.

I'll be on the Breeze in at the beginning of December if that matters.

Thanks!

Are you working with a TA or PVP? If so, you might be able to make arrangements ahead of time to have the Maitre D' notified of the birthday celebration.

We went once for my DH's B-Day. I was asked when we book if there was something special and I told them DH B-Day. I did NOT tell the waiter (would have been in big trouble as DH hates that) but the waiter already knew and brought the cake and sang. I loved it! DH hated it --oh well!

No upgrades were offered. I think they sail full so upgrades wouldn't be possible the day of sailing. I suppose there could be the odd no show.

Upgrade at check-in? Surely you jest. :p

Have gotten the upSELL call twice on Carnival and once on HAL when had birthday people in the cabin.

Last week, got some sort of orange cake on the first night AFTER dessert was served. Like anyone had any room for more cake. :rolleyes: Since I don't normally eat dessert (and especially dislike cake), I didn't taste it.

I've had a bite here and there of the special-order cakes and thought they were awful, too. I just don't like cake, I guess.

We celebrated DD's bday on the Splendor in July. We indicated on our reservation that we would be celebrating, then on the first night in the MDR our head waitress asked whether we'd ordered a cake. We ordered a cake from the shop on board and then celebrated later in the week. No upgrades or freebies though.

also when I booked they asked if someone would be celebrating a birthday and what day it is on which has also made me curious if they do anything extra or special.

Again thanks

my pvp always asks if we are celebrating. when I told him my parents anniversary, the waiters brought out a piece of pie with a candle and sang to them, then when we went for my brothers birthday, the waiters sang for him. that's what they do that is special

Didmamcruise for DD 3 yrs. ago on Carnival. No upgrades.

But I PURCHASED happy birthday room decorations which were there when we got to cabin. I also purchased a cake for her that they brought to our table with a candle and sang happy birthday. Waitress put a napkin shaped like bow on her head. She loved it !!!!!

But free upgrade, no. TOO many people celebrate special occasions on a cruise to do that.

For my sister's birthday, I pre-ordered a cake online and asked that it be presented on the first night in the Main Dining room and waiter's gathered around and sang Happy Birthday to her. If you don't pre-order a cake, they will bring a slice of whatever is in the galley and plop a candle on it, it may be yucky, it may be good. The pre-ordered cake is better, in my opinion, at least it makes for a better presentation and it was pretty tasty as well...everyone had a small piece and she brought the rest back to her stateroom to enjoy later. We also ordered the birthday room decorations and she was surprised when she walked into her room and loved them.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an upgrade, your chances are slim to none.

I have Cruise afew times for my Birthday........

Never received a upgrade.......

Waiters will sing and give you a piece of cake

or pie ECT:::::::::::::::

Thank you all for your responses, I didn't think it was true, but plausible if the ship wasn't booked so that's why I came here to ask. It just sounded extremely anecdotal when a friend told me that, but then again you never know so it was worth asking. How much are the decorations for the room? Its only going to be him and I and I dont think I will have time to do it without him noticing or giving me 15 minutes in the room without seeming suspicious in any way. I am happy however the waiters will sing because as I have stated when I get a chance to embarrass my father, I jump on it!(im such a good son, but I also make up for it by taking him on a cruise for his birthday IMO)

Thank you all again for your responses!

No upgrades, but as others mentioned you can order a cake either before boarding (go to the bottom of the Carnival dot com page --- look under "Already Booked" and click on "The Fun Shops" look for the "OCCASIONS" button and set it for "Birthday"). You will find all MANY gifts to present. If you order a cake you can specify which night to deliver it---and whether to send it to the cabin or dining room. Here is a 9 inch cake I sent to my wife for our anniversary------it only cost about $12 and (as I put on our slide below) served the 8 at our table and a nearby couple who were celebrating their anniversary that day.

pz1n.jpg

We have sailed twice on my DH's birthday. Each time I have bought him a cake and they are good.

The waiter have also brought a piece of cake with candle and sung to him.

On our Glory cruise, the Cruise Director read a note that I wrote for DH on the show that he does in the morning. DH was wondering why we were watching the cruise director talking on tv when we could be up on the deck until he heard his name. The Cruise Director was reading out anniversaries and birthday if you went down to guest services and wrote out a note. He also received a bottle of champaigne and a ship on the stick that was brought to our cabin.

This year, we are celebrating his 50th on the Liberty, I am working with PVP for some surprises. I want to do something different for this one.

Archived