Port Liberty, Newark, NJ

mohea

Hi Folks,

I am leaving out of Port Liberty, NJ on Royal Carribean on October 27, 2013. I have cruised before, but always have left from Fort Lauderdale, FL. Anyone have any good tips? I read the RC cruise boards for my particular ship, which is Explorer of the Seas. What is that ship like? I have only been on Holland America with ship capacities of about 3100. The Explorer looks a lot bigger than that.

Thanks a lot.

Debbie

Royal Caribbean's ships are generally a lot larger - with amenities I am not sure are necessary - such as skating rink - but which you might find interesting. Service and food is OK, but in my opinion not up to HAL's standards (my favorite). Bayonne is a kind of grubby, poorly laid out cruise terminal, with very bad traffic flow - essentially a re-cycled cargo terminal with minimal upgrades. But the sailaway from New York is awesome - get yourself to an open upper deck for the full effect.

Hi Folks,

I am leaving out of Port Liberty, NJ on Royal Carribean on October 27, 2013. I have cruised before, but always have left from Fort Lauderdale, FL. Anyone have any good tips? I read the RC cruise boards for my particular ship, which is Explorer of the Seas. What is that ship like? I have only been on Holland America with ship capacities of about 3100. The Explorer looks a lot bigger than that.

Thanks a lot.

Debbie

I suggest that you this thread titled - CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3 for the best info on Cape Liberty. The thread is located on the East Coast Departures forum.

SBtS

Yes Cape Liberty could be a little better laid out but what can you expect for a former Navy base. There is a new terminal going to be built in the near future to service the Quantum of the Seas arrival in Nov 2014. I think what RCI/Celebrty has done to make Cape Liberty work is quite admirable and with parking at $19 a night (as opposed to $35in NYC) it is one of our favorite ports, especially since our favorite ship docks there. Not only is Explorer nicley outfitted, it has one of the very best crews in the fleet. As was mentioned, please read the Cape Liberty thread on the East Coast Departure section.

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot.

Debbie

The Explorer will not disappoint you! It is a lovely ship and it is BIG. Cape Liberty is more like a railway station, but they are getting it very organized these days. Once you are checked in and ready to board, they will take you in a bus from the waiting room to the entrance of the ship, so better to take any hand luggage that you can handle easily carrying on and off the bus. Have a great cruise. Explorer is my favorite ship!

Royal Caribbean is a mass market cruise line and while perfectly OK doesn't offer the quality of food and service of more upscale lines. The Explorer of the Seas does not have all the amenities of newer Royal Caribbean ships, or the newer ships brought out by other cruise lines. The ship will be dry docked for renovations after the new Quantum of the Seas takes its place in Cape Liberty in late 2014.

Contrary to what a prior poster said, you do not get the "awesome" New York sailaway experience when leaving from Cape Liberty, because Bayonne is south of Manhattan and south of the Statue of Liberty, so you don't get to cruise past the buildings that comprise the NY skyline, or the Statue. When the ship leaves the pier it immediately turns away from Manhattan. The best view you'll get is from several miles away while on board, before the ship sails. You still pass under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, but that's it.

If you have specific questions about the ship I suggest you post them on the Royal Caribbean board.

Royal Caribbean is a mass market cruise line and while perfectly OK doesn't offer the quality of food and service of more upscale lines. The Explorer of the Seas does not have all the amenities of newer Royal Caribbean ships, or the newer ships brought out by other cruise lines. The ship will be dry docked for renovations after the new Quantum of the Seas takes its place in Cape Liberty in late 2014.

Contrary to what a prior poster said, you do not get the "awesome" New York sailaway experience when leaving from Cape Liberty, because Bayonne is south of Manhattan and south of the Statue of Liberty, so you don't get to cruise past the buildings that comprise the NY skyline, or the Statue. When the ship leaves the pier it immediately turns away from Manhattan. The best view you'll get is from several miles away while on board, before the ship sails. You still pass under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge,

If you have specific questions about the ship I suggest you post them on the Royal Caribbean board.[/QUOT

Granted- you will not sail down the west side of Manhattan but you will get a reasonable view of the Statue of Liberty , and cruise through the Narrows past Fort Wardsworth and under the Verazzano Bridge. Yes, a truncated New York sailaway, but still far more impressive than anything else on the East Coast - with the possible exception of Baltimore.

I miss the sailaways on HAL's Noordam from the Manhattan Terminal.

Archived