Naval uniforms on formal nights

3rdmate

As a licensed officer in the US Merchant Marine, I have a set of "dress blues". This consists of the traditional officers uniform with white shirt, tie and officers cap. Are these acceptable for formal wear? I would gladly wear tux if not...but thought I would ask those who have been there....

When we were on QM2 for a crossing in April we saw two men in military dress uniform on formal nights and I think I remember seeing someone in the kilt, etc. They didn't look out of place and, indeed, they added something to each evening. There are ships' photographers taking formal portraits of couples and groups on each formal night so make the most of your uniform, kilt, etc.

Go for it 3rdmate and enjoy your time on board.

Hi UK Geoff,

Kilt with Prince Charlie jacket is certainly formal.

I normally take mine, if weight limits on flights allow, and it is much commented on.

Regards, Colin.

P.S. What part of Inverness are you from?

As a licensed officer in the US Merchant Marine, I have a set of "dress blues". This consists of the traditional officers uniform with white shirt, tie and officers cap. Are these acceptable for formal wear? I would gladly wear tux if not...but thought I would ask those who have been there....

Sorry, but No.1 Dress uniform is not acceptable kit for formal nights or any nights on board. The ship's own officers will be wearing Mess Dress uniform and if you are wearing standard blues you will look like a 'poor cousin'.

In Britain, Merchant Navy officers do not wear uniform ashore on social occassions... and especially not when cruising on a ship with which they have no connection. Military personnel seem to go by a different set of rules but Merchant Navy...... or Merchant Marine is definitely not the military!

Stephen

I agree with Prinsendam above - regular Dress Blues not formal wear - but Mess Dress would be considered formalwear.

Don't know what etiquette is re wearing of Merchant Marine uniforms, but for both active and retired military Mess Dress is quite proper.

My dad was a chief engineer (steam) in the American Merchant Fleet. He never would wear his four striped uniform while on a vacation cruise. I think he considered it putting on airs.

re: The Kilt.

Wearing of the kilt on the QUEENS is not out of place, especially on QE-2.

I'm relatively new to wearing the kilt but I found the atmosphere on my last QE-2 Crossing (APR 2004), and found I was one o perhaps a half dozen men wearing such. From what I'm told, the unwritten "code" aboard is not to wear anything less than a PRINCE CHARLIE with your kilt.

re: Military dress. I'm not a military person, but as I recall, some career miltary men have worn their "ribbons" (is that term corect?), or battle stripes/ribbons/medals etc, on their dinner jacket. This was not considered out of place, rather they seemed to provide fodder for persons to initaite conversation with the person.

As I mentioned, I'm not a military person, so I'm not familiar with military protocol or regalia, in fact, I don't know a ribbon from a medal or a battle stripe. The point I intended to make is that some military persons chose to wear the regalia they've earned on their civilian dress in the evening.

From all of my times on Cunard, I have never seen a passenger in military dress uniform. If there was, I probably assumed he was staff....and I probably would have asked him to get me a drink! :eek:

I have often seen men in kilts; on a British ship, not unusual at all.

I posted a funny story in another thread. We were QG on the QE2 many years ago. It was a Carib and South America cruise. QG is always formal....and a guy walked in wearing a coat and tie and khaki linen shorts!

Maitre 'd got in a huff, pulled the guy aside....and then he got flustered as the passenger walked past and sat down. Daddy later asked what happened and why the guy was allowed in.

It seems the passenger asked if a Scot in a kilt would be allowed in wearing his national dress, and the Maitre 'd said "Of course." The passenger said "I am from Bermuda, and this is our national dress. I would, and have, worn this to formal events at the Prime Minister's residence." Granted, we also saw this passenge in a tux on other nights, but he was not afraid to show his home-country pride! ;)

From all of my times on Cunard, I have never seen a passenger in military dress uniform. If there was, I probably assumed he was staff....and I probably would have asked him to get me a drink! :eek:

I have often seen men in kilts; on a British ship, not unusual at all.

I posted a funny story in another thread. We were QG on the QE2 many years ago. It was a Carib and South America cruise. QG is always formal....and a guy walked in wearing a coat and tie and khaki linen shorts!

Maitre 'd got in a huff, pulled the guy aside....and then he got flustered as the passenger walked past and sat down. Daddy later asked what happened and why the guy was allowed in.

It seems the passenger asked if a Scot in a kilt would be allowed in wearing his national dress, and the Maitre 'd said "Of course." The passenger said "I am from Bermuda, and this is our national dress. I would, and have, worn this to formal events at the Prime Minister's residence." Granted, we also saw this passenge in a tux on other nights, but he was not afraid to show his home-country pride! ;)

Quite right!!!!!!

I wonder if the passenger was a certain Mr Sydney Sherwood. He is well know for wearing our national dress when 'abroad'. Of course Sydney would be wearing a bow tie... usually... actually always... mink.

The wearer must be Bermudian to get away with it. The jacket must be a dark blue blazer. The shorts must be real Bermuda shorts, of the correct length and always a solid colour... never patterned. Knee length golf hose must also be worn.. in a colour that complements the shorts.

If the dress is to be formal then the jacket must be a white dinner jacket, single breasted. White short, black bow tie, black shorts, socks & shoes.

BTW.. we don't have a Prime Minister in Bermuda, just a Premier, but it is quite appropriate to wear shorts to formal functions to see the Govenor at Government House. He does!

I wore shorts one night to the dining rooom on Royal Viking Star. Luigi, the Maitr'd said to me as I entered the dining room, "Why do you do this to me?"

Stephen

During a cruise last year on the QE2 I wore my Naval Mess n Dress for two formal nights onboard. I got some curious looks from several passengers and also some nice inquisitive comments. I also got odd glances from officers onboard(reckon it was because I had more medals than them). I will be wearing it again for my next cruise at the end of the year. :)

The only medal handed out in the MN is the old "VD & Scar"!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

What about previous military service. As far as I'm aware they are entitled to wear their medals from previous service.

This is true... of course must be from the same 'side'!!!!. Very few MN officers (British MN that is) are ex Royal Navy. Some might be R.N.R. but these days I think that is rare.

Stephen

My wife and I just got off the QM2 yesterday in New York. Kilts were totally accepted, although the Naval dress was kind of cheesy. I overheard many guests snickering at the 'wanna bees' on board, especially when an officer from the QM2 was in the room. If it were me, and I were wearing such an outfit, I might feel a little like Joe Pesci in 'My Cousin Vinny' when he shows up in the burgundy 'lion tamer' tuxedo. It just seemed out of place.

Kilts are fine and look good. A uniform? Leave it to the officers who work there. An American Merchant Marine 3rd Officer? No!

I won't go into stories about meeting ships at sea, but you would do well not to advertise!

Archived