Ship's security guards are not police officers and should not be investigating crimes

US Marine

I must tell you when I have interaction with leo's overseas they have alway been courteous and professional. Most of the time they understand that tourist dollars are important and treat almost all foreigners with that understanding. When I have seen them handle people poorly its almost always been a color issue and not necessarily a origin issue. I do think that xenophobia in the US has become a real issue(immigration etc)...and I don't like it being a first generation US citizen.

If I'm reading your post right, Skai, it's the very definition of xenophobia :rolleyes:

So if I'm the victim of a crime in the Big Apple, best I report it to the British Consulate, eh? :rolleyes:

Because by your logic I should be wary & presume that New York's finest won't act in the best interests of a foreign national in the US. :rolleyes:

JB :rolleyes:

By definition, the term "Xenophobia" is applied under the pretext of 'irrational or unreasonable fear'.

It is necessary to distinguish between what is considered 1st world and 3rd world in this context. I might not be as wary at the motives of the Bobbies (or even the RCMP for that matter), but I might have legitimate (SEE: Counter to irrational or unreasonable) prejudices concerning LEOs in other locations throughout the world.

There's a reason why the NYPD are referred to as "the finest" btw:p

By definition, the term "Xenophobia" is applied under the pretext of 'irrational or unreasonable fear'.

It is necessary to distinguish between what is considered 1st world and 3rd world in this context. I might not be as wary at the motives of the Bobbies (or even the RCMP for that matter), but I might have legitimate (SEE: Counter to irrational or unreasonable) prejudices concerning LEOs in other locations throughout the world.

There's a reason why the NYPD are referred to as "the finest" btw:p

From your post, I would agree that xenophobia would not be the correct term. There is another shorter, 2 syllable word that is much more appropriate. From what you are saying I think it would be much more correct if you simply left out the word 'legitimate.'

And FYI, not everyone refers to the NYPD as 'the finest'.

From your post, I would agree that xenophobia would not be the correct term. There is another shorter, 2 syllable word that is much more appropriate. From what you are saying I think it would be much more correct if you simply left out the word 'legitimate.'

And FYI, not everyone refers to the NYPD as 'the finest'.

Prejudices are part of the normal human condition, and therefore they may be deemed legitimate. To deny that basic human nature as common, would be dishonest.

Nationalism is equally as prevalent. IE. when classless Canadians boo the U.S national anthem at sporting events.

To presume that one may get the same treatment from law enforcement in a foreign land (also rife with prejudices SEE ABOVE) as they may receive in their homeland is rather naive. And yes....I don't know how it's done in other countries, but the U.S. State Dept. does provide assistance for victims of crimes overseas for its citizens. In fact, they also recommend contacting the nearest embassy/consulate for that assistance.

I have managed 28 cruise ships over the past 30+ years. Over that period I have been involved in very many situations where the police / FBI / somebody was required to help us.

We gave up on the FBI a very long time ago. They very candidly informed us many times that they are not interested in crimes onboard cruise ships unless there will be big newspaper headlines involving drug busts, terrorism, or celebrities We even had a few suspected murder cases where the people involved were not famous or controversial, so the FBI declined to get involved. Lesser crimes are normally referred to the local police forces. Depending on the country involved, that's where the real trouble starts.

Some countries, like Mexico and Canada, take crime on cruise ships very seriously. One telephone call to the local police gets an instant and serious response.

If we are sailing out of Alaska, Florida, or California, good luck. A call to the local police gets us a laundry list of excuses and reasons why we are wasting their time, it's outside their jurisdiction, they are understaffed, we should have reported it at the last port - or the next one, and even more reasons why they are too busy to visit the ship to investigate any crimes

(unless it involves drugs).

Prejudices are part of the normal human condition, and therefore they may be deemed legitimate. To deny that basic human nature as common, would be dishonest.

Nationalism is equally as prevalent. IE. when classless Canadians boo the U.S national anthem at sporting events.

To presume that one may get the same treatment from law enforcement in a foreign land (also rife with prejudices SEE ABOVE) as they may receive in their homeland is rather naive. And yes....I don't know how it's done in other countries, but the U.S. State Dept. does provide assistance for victims of crimes overseas for its citizens. In fact, they also recommend contacting the nearest embassy/consulate for that assistance.

Your post really speaks volumes.

Given your preconceptions and self confessed predjudices, I think it would be extremely good advice that you immediately contact your nearest embassy/consulate should you ever come in contact with a foreign security or police service. A little hard to do, though, in the middle of the ocean.

Given your preconceptions and self confessed predjudices, I think it would be extremely good advice that you immediately contact your nearest embassy/consulate should you ever come in contact with a foreign security or police service. A little hard to do, though, in the middle of the ocean.

Where were the self confessed prejudices? Did I miss them? But yes the Canadians have booed the US national anthem at sporting events.

Someone remind me if I'm ever a victim of crime in the US that I can insist on having An Garda Síochana investigate the crime without bothering to report it to the US police. It's comforting to know that if we then find the criminal is a US citizen, it's fine to smuggle him back to Ireland and have him face charges here.

I must tell you when I have interaction with leo's overseas they have alway been courteous and professional. Most of the time they understand that tourist dollars are important and treat almost all foreigners with that understanding. When I have seen them handle people poorly its almost always been a color issue and not necessarily a origin issue. I do think that xenophobia in the US has become a real issue(immigration etc)...and I don't like it being a first generation US citizen.

The immigration issue in the US is not one of irrational fear. It is a matter of wanting to control our own borders and destiny. It is a common sense attitude of caution. Look at those The Western European Countries that have essentially opened boarders. Un-feathered immigration in those countries has lead to riots and a lack of respect for local laws and national laws. So any fear we have is not unfounded when we look at immigrants and have a right to vet who comes into the country. We have a right to protect our way of life.

As a victim of a crime you bet. It's good that you agree that its sound advice. :cool: Surely it would be folly to leave it all up to the ship's security.

The immigration issue in the US is not one of irrational fear. It is a matter of wanting to control our own borders and destiny. It is a common sense attitude of caution. Look at those The Western European Countries that have essentially opened boarders. Un-feathered immigration in those countries has lead to riots and a lack of respect for local laws and national laws. So any fear we have is not unfounded when we look at immigrants and have a right to vet who comes into the country. We have a right to protect our way of life.

Oh yeah, because there are no riots and lack of respect among people who are native born! LOL!

Oh yeah, because there are no riots and lack of respect among people who are native born! LOL!

Never said that or implied that. I am speaking only to limited immigration vs. open the gates here they come policy. That is because someone thought we American's were showed xenophobia because of our immigration policy. All I was saying is that a good immigration polity is a matter of security for its citizens and point out examples of mass immigrant riots that have happened in other countries with loose policies.

If you want to look at non European countries look at Lebanon which was a Christian nation that has been consumed by foreign immigrants to the point they now control the Parliament and have abused their power to institute religious law.

There is certainly some some conflict in every nation it natural. But trying to control a situation and have expectation for people moving from other countries is well worth the effort as shown by what is happening in France when there is open conflict started in the Mosque. In England where the solider was was beheaded in the street. We cannot control every event or every person, but we can make our best effort to assure safety.

There is certainly some some conflict in every nation it natural. But trying to control a situation and have expectation for people moving from other countries is well worth the effort as shown by what is happening in France when there is open conflict started in the Mosque. In England where the solider was was beheaded in the street. We cannot control every event or every person, but we can make our best effort to assure safety.

How much time have you spent in France? I'd like to hear more about your opinion about this 'open conflict'.

Also, I'm not sure what point you're making about 'people moving from other countries' and then bringing up the murder of the soldier Lee Rigby. The two men who are accused of his murder are both British born. Just like the shooter in Washington D.C this week, making an attack on the US military, was American.

I have managed 28 cruise ships over the past 30+ years. Over that period I have been involved in very many situations where the police / FBI / somebody was required to help us.

We gave up on the FBI a very long time ago. They very candidly informed us many times that they are not interested in crimes onboard cruise ships unless there will be big newspaper headlines involving drug busts, terrorism, or celebrities We even had a few suspected murder cases where the people involved were not famous or controversial, so the FBI declined to get involved. Lesser crimes are normally referred to the local police forces. Depending on the country involved, that's where the real trouble starts.

Some countries, like Mexico and Canada, take crime on cruise ships very seriously. One telephone call to the local police gets an instant and serious response.

If we are sailing out of Alaska, Florida, or California, good luck. A call to the local police gets us a laundry list of excuses and reasons why we are wasting their time, it's outside their jurisdiction, they are understaffed, we should have reported it at the last port - or the next one, and even more reasons why they are too busy to visit the ship to investigate any crimes

(unless it involves drugs).

Thanks for the insiders view.

Archived