Leaving the Business Behind

Ambiguous Puzuma

I posted this in the roll call for my cruise, but perhaps it would be good to present it to a wider audience...

I am going to be away, and essentially out of contact, for 3 weeks in November 2014. This will be the longest time I've been away from my business in the 8 years we have been trading. While I've been "away from home" for 3 or 4 weeks at a time, I've always had my phone with me, and usually my laptop, so I've always been able to do a little work if necessary. Not so this time.

Already, I've had to rearrange a major project to make sure that it finishes a couple of weeks before I embark (rather than the day after), and I've no doubt that this will not be the only instance. I know that my partners and the team can handle pretty much anything that gets thrown at them, but I'm still experiencing a faint sense of impending doom about leaving my baby, erm, business, in the care of others.

Does anyone else have this experience? How do you let go of your concerns and worries, particularly those related to running your own business? Can the answer be found in a gin and tonic?

As you have stated I'm sure that you will find all well when you get back from your trip. Essentially you only need be totally out of contact if that is what you want. All ships offer internet at sea, slow but it works and you will find many place ashore that offer free wifi. If there is something that really concerns you such as a big contract while you are away you will have the ability to keep your finger on the pulse. Only one word of caution. You are going on what sounds like a well deserved vacation and not to a remote work site. Go, have a blast and come back recharged and ready drive hard at the business once again. Have a great trip!

Thanks :) The plan is definitely to have a proper vacation, rather thank a workation. I know that people will manage, I just have difficulty letting go. I know that I can make contact with people if I need to, but I think if I called the office and learned that there was an issue - even a minor one - not being able to be there to resolve it (or flap like a mother hen while someone else resolves it) would drive me to distraction. I might have to take a couple of shorter breaks before the big one, so that I can innoculate myself against the worry. :)

I had this situation last year. One of my partners sent me a quick email (3-4 sentences) every day to give me a heads up on what was going on and what they were doing to manage any opportunities or issues. As long as I knew what was going on and that they were handling it, I was able to relax. It's the unknown that will make you crazy.

I've never been gone for longer than a week, but I figure if my company cannot get along without me for a week, then I am grossly underpaid.

I hear that. I'm sure that the problem is at my end rather than the business end. Gin-based sedation is probably what's required.

I had this situation last year. One of my partners sent me a quick email (3-4 sentences) every day to give me a heads up on what was going on and what they were doing to manage any opportunities or issues. As long as I knew what was going on and that they were handling it, I was able to relax. It's the unknown that will make you crazy.

Brilliant idea! Thanks!

I posted this in the roll call for my cruise, but perhaps it would be good to present it to a wider audience...

I am going to be away, and essentially out of contact, for 3 weeks in November 2014. This will be the longest time I've been away from my business in the 8 years we have been trading. While I've been "away from home" for 3 or 4 weeks at a time, I've always had my phone with me, and usually my laptop, so I've always been able to do a little work if necessary. Not so this time.

Already, I've had to rearrange a major project to make sure that it finishes a couple of weeks before I embark (rather than the day after), and I've no doubt that this will not be the only instance. I know that my partners and the team can handle pretty much anything that gets thrown at them, but I'm still experiencing a faint sense of impending doom about leaving my baby, erm, business, in the care of others.

Does anyone else have this experience? How do you let go of your concerns and worries, particularly those related to running your own business? Can the answer be found in a gin and tonic?

I do as much work as possible ahead. Routine items that still have to be done by you can often be done ahead or delegated and held until you return. Less to hit you in the face that first day back without a gin and tonic!

Internet access at sea can be slow, but it does work and you can keep in touch. If a situation occurs and requires that I communicate with a customer, I delegate the work to someone and also send a personal email to the customer that I am away for a few days and the problem will be taken care of.

So I check my email daily, put out any fires and then sit back and relax. I've always been pleasantly surprised how understanding my customers are when they find I'm on vacation. Almost always, I'll receive a return email thanking me for my help and then telling me to go and have a good time.

I would not relax if I was not in touch every day. It probably takes me less than 15 to 30 minutes each morning and it's well worth it. The rest of the day is mine and no worries!

Because my husband had a job that required constant attention we could never vacation in the US without continual calls. As a family we convinced him that we had to go where he was not at the mercy of his phone. We started cruising and no more calls. Amazingly those people found they could handle things (and did a good job) and we had some great vacations.

If you've treated your customers and employees well over the years, you will have no problems.

I chuckle. This reminds me of the movie RV with Robin Williams that I just watched recently for the umpteen time. While on vacation, he is trying to email out a business presentation from his laptop and finds it a hard time getting good reception, and basically 'messes up' his opportunity to relax and enjoy his family.

Me, as a manager in a large corporation, and also having my own personal business that I run from my home office, I understand the demands of being accessable all the time or as much as possible. As a former business mentor tried to teach me... one measure of your success as a leader is "can you take time away from the business and be confident that your staff can run the show without you". I am blessed with a very competent staff that can manage the 'shop' while I am away. I constantly strive to educate and mentor my own staff to 'step up' when needed to fill my shoes. Am I worried about being replaced. No. Teaching others to do my job, makes it possible for me to either "move up" or "move cross-wise to new opportunity".

It may take more work upfront to PREP your team to take care of business while you are gone, but it will pay dividends on allowing you to relax and recharge and come back to work with 'new life'.

I do take my company smart phone with me on vacation (to my wife's dislike), but I strive to keep online time to a minimum. The suggestion of 15 to 30 minutes each morning is doable. Just make sure your staff and superiors know that is your online time, and that the rest of the day is YOURS.

We own a business, too....so I understand! However, if you have the proper employees in place, and have taught them well, they will do just fine while you're away.

You can always check in....via e-mail or the ocassional phone call! Sometimes, you just have to get away....it's good for you!

Unless you are a one man operation, the business should be able to get along in your absence.

If it were really true that your continual input is essential, then you are being underpaid, and the others in your office are just coasting along - and a number of them should be considered dead wood, suitable only for pruning.

Additionally, if you as a key player has not made succession planning part of your job description, you are underperforming. Would the business fail if you were hit by a bus one afternoon and were out of commission for a week or so.

Finally, if you have a management role, a key responsibility should be the training and preparation of your subordinates for increased responsibility.

There are some truly one man operations - but anyone who lets himself get trapped in one has allowed his entire life to become one dimensional.

Of course, there may be times when one individual is best suited for a particular project, and should run with it -- but any organization which makes that a continuing situation is simply badly managed.

In many, if not most, cases where an individual "simply must" stay in close contact with his work, it is actually a matter of ego: wanting to identify himself as essential.

If the people you employ cannot handle the business for this short period of time then you are employing the wrong people. What would happen if you were in an accident and unable to communicate with anyone for a couple of months? Would the business just wither and die (go under)?

For almost everyone on the planet, put your finger in an empty glass then fill the glass with water (while you finger is inside the glass). When you pull your finger out of the full glass of water, the hole that is in the water is equal to the whole that will be left in your company should you leave. The water level (performance) will drop, but only until someone comes along and sticks their finger in the glass of water.

Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice, and also reassurance (which is probably what I actually need!).

I think that the basic problem is that I created the business out of nothing, and have steered it through a couple of hairy situations to arrive at the point where it is now starting to take on its own life. I had a few plans in mind before I posted the question, and what I have read has only helped to confirm that I'm doing the right thing.

Cinderella, you shall go on a cruise! :D

Planning and Communication - then booze.

I sail in a few days - I'm absolutely crushing myself for the last 3 weeks (just taking a CC break right now LOL) looking at not only what needs done before I go, but what do I need to tackle (or have tackled) right when I get back.

Notify all important parties (clients, associates, etc...) that you will have limited access to information for a while and let them know who to contact in your place.

Leave a detail message on your voicemail that starts with "PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS MESSAGE" and direct people to someone else (some will listen, some will still leave you a "hey...gimmie a call when you get this" message). Same with email Out of Office reply.

I add a $25 global data plan to my cell phone so if ever, I will only be out of touch on AT SEA days. In port I will check email voicemail and texts a couple times a day (usually 10am and 3pm) and disseminate info to my staff as needed. Both my wife and I are used to my "working" while on vacation - after all that's what pays for the nice vacations.

Then drink until you forget about it.:D

Enjoy the cruise, and I hope you can remember some of it :D

Had a meeting with my partners today where this matter was discussed as part of other business. We've decided that the business is growing to the point where we need to do some serious restructuring of management, and it's time for me (and them) to take further step back, especially from the smaller projects. So once I've got past the "BUT I DON'T WANNA!" stage, I'll be fine. :)

• 3 weeks later...

A very wise mentor once told me that if my team couldn't manage without me for at least six months, then I had not done my job in developing them. So I just keep reminding myself that I have a good team that I trained well. That said, internet is very easy these days. If it helps you relax, then check the email occasionally. But resist the urge to chime in. Let your team do their thing. if you've done your job, then I can guarantee you your team will do theirs. Happy sailing,

Words of Wisdom from some wise people-

All you can do is all you can do.

Let Go and Let God.

Nothing is permanent. Every thing changes. Everyone is dispensable. (That was from my last boss, while he was chewing me out, two weeks before he got fired.) It's still true though.

Now when my boss is out of the office, and we need to make a decision on how to handle something that we would not normally have to handle, we take a vote on how to treat the situation and we give into the customers request, because it is easier most times, to ask for forgiveness, than it is for permission. And a happy customer is your best advertisement.

I was a bit amazed some years ago when I started at a new job and just a couple of weeks later, the couple who had founded the company took off for a vacation in Australia. The number of employees was just barely the number of fingers on two hands so it was a small company. The son of the male founder basically functioned as the manager and they had every confidence in his ability to run the place in their absence (and when they retired, he took over completely). The place was still running when they returned so they must have done well in hiring their staff.:)

My hubby works for a governmental entity so there's quite a bit of dysfunctionality. Years ago before a cruise (quite a few months before), the on call list came out for the supervisors (he was one) and he informed the guy who created the list that he would be out of town at that time (and he had even requested the time a whole year before the cruise, as soon as we'd booked it). When he returned to his office after the trip, he saw the latest on-call list and yes, he was listed as the on-call supervisor at the time we were in the middle of the Pacific. Good thing the equipment didn't have a massive failure at that time.

Interesting that I would read this tonight. We also are self employed husband has a great staff in the wood shop...they are fine

However today I received an email from my office staff that said she quit, because GOD told her too (ya really) I sat down and cried, we cruise in three weeks.

I am not sure if I want to try and do the hiring process now, or wait until after we return..

either way maybe her GOD will tell me

If it's business, it's a business expense to use internet/phone. Just keep track of the expense, and put it on your business books! And remember....if you have good folks working for you, that's why they are there...to WORK! Let them!

Well in the light of other developments, we're advertising at the moment for a full time project manager already, and are probably going to take on another henchperson in the new year, if the figures continue to add up.

This isn't simply to replace me, but it does mean that by the time next November comes around we will have someone in place who knows all the critical clients and can manage them accordingly.

Can't imagine why I was making so much fuss, really. :cool:

Archived