Bayonne's Port Liberty

citygirlmk

As a native *Bayonne-ite*, my advice for anyone sailing out of Bayonne's Port Liberty who will be arriving to this area either the day or night before their cruise is to *NOT* stay in Manhattan but to stay in downtown Jersey City, New Jersey which is just across the river from Manhattan.

Manhattan hotel prices are *exhorbitant* and by staying in either of the following two hotels in Jersey City you will get the view of the Manhattan skyline which is outstanding! I would suggest staying at the Hyatt in Jersey City or the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City. Both hotels are very nice and have easy access to the PATH trains which will take you one or a few stops away from either lower or midtown manhattan. Believe me, you will not be disappointed and you'll save $$$.

The PATH train is an underground train that will take you just one stop from the Jersey City Hyatt to the World Trade Center stop in downtown New York City. If you go to http://www.nj.com/njtransit/path.html you'll see a map and description. And yes, the PATH train is safe. But like with anywhere you travel to, diligence is key and always mind your valuables, no matter where you are.

If you're interested in taking a ferry to Manhattan, you may ride the New York Water Taxi which is located near the Hyatt in Jersey City. If you'd like to take a water tour of lower Manhattan, my suggestion would be to take one of the sightseeing tours Water Taxi offers wherein you will ride around in the New York Harbor and come up close to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and Governor's Island. You'll also see the famed Brooklyn Bridge and take in the beautiful skyline that only downtown Manhattan has to offer. For information on the NY Water Taxi please visit http://www.nywatertaxi.com/nywt.aspx?s=sch

Enjoy!

Citygirl thanks for the info. I have a few more questions for you. We are planning next year to cruise out of Cape Liberty and I was looking at the hotels in Elizabeth City, namely the Sheraton. is that o.k. Also we are coming in two days before and want to take the ferry from Cape Liberty state park and go to Statute of Liberty and Ellis Island. How far and how much by taxi would that be approximately. Also can you tell me approximately how far from hotel(saying that it is the Sheraton) to cruise port. Thanks alot for any info. I really do appreciate it.

Marilyn

Archived