Pre-cruise shopping

emeraldcity

I tell myself before every cruise that I don't really need anything new ... I'll just pack what I have. And it didn't work this time either.

DD and I hit the mall today to look for a long black skirt to use for formal night instead of the black pants that came with my outfit. Found what I was looking for in the first store ... and then had to check out the sale racks.

You know the rest of the story ... a man will spend $2 for a one-dollar item he needs. A woman will spend $1 for a two-dollar item she doesn't need because it was on sale.

But hey! I need more stuff anyway. The upcoming cruise is a 10-day one this time and we get to drive to the port so I can indulge in over-packing if desired.

I own 2 dresses that I've worn for formal night on our last two cruises so all our nice photos are of me in one of those two dresses.

My husband said to me last week "Honey, you should buy another dress. I will pay for it."

I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. :eek:

I own 2 dresses that I've worn for formal night on our last two cruises so all our nice photos are of me in one of those two dresses.

My husband said to me last week "Honey, you should buy another dress. I will pay for it."

The formal night photo was the excuse I used to go shopping. We always get one or more of the formal pictures and I didn't want to take yet another picture in one of those two dresses.

I have a formal dress that I've had for at least 10 years. My seamstress has let it out - taken it in - let it out....Ladies, you know how it goes. The last time I took it to her for an alteration, she says to me, "You buy a new dress! I['m tired of in and out, in and out." Okay...Got a new dress for the next cruise. (She still had to make some alterations, though!)

we solved that issue by not taking photos any longer.

I try everything on weeks before I begin packing. Even if things fit, they don't always fit the same way as the landscape shifts;). If I don't feel good in it, I don't take it. I usually pick up a new top or pair of capris. DH usually gets a new shirt or two. Next summer we will have to have some different clothes for Alaska.That gives me good reason to shop the clearance racks after Christmas!

We don't get formal pictures taken. The last time I convinced DH to stop for formals, they were so awful! I have been wearing my dress from my son's wedding over a year ago. I love the dress and I intend to get my $ worth out of it!

I get bored easily and cruise about once a year. So I rarely wear the same formal outfit. And since I have lost 30 pounds so far and on track to lose more for my cruise next September I will need everything new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Congratulations on your weight loss! Have fun shopping for your new wardrobe!

Since we almost always cruise in Oct or Nov to the Caribbean, when I start pulling items out and evaluating at home, it means HUGE summer clearance sales in the stores! I'm with most where the formalwear tends to be the same, but I've often found some $5-7 tops that feel "new" and bonus: when next spring/summer rolls around, they've been worn only once and still feel new in my closet!

Shop early. I found an awesome $6 formal dress 3 months before our first cruise and we went "looking" for a suit for the DH two weeks prior to the trip and ended up walking out $1000 lighter. But we both felt great in our new threads! (I splurged on swimsuits!) I say splurge if you wanna splurge, save if you wanna save and have fun cruising!

I have been following this while eating dinner, and after looking at Bathing suit pic - I put down my fork!!!

Hope I never look anywhere near that bad in a b suit - and I will never wear a string anything!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

OK, so you ladies who have posted that your husbands said, "You need new clothes," where did you get these men? Did they come to you this way or did you send them to finishing school or something? Would you entertain the idea of some sort of "sister wife" arrangement? :D:D;)

I always shop before a cruise.

I have a cruise coming up in February with my cousin and my boyfriend/partner took me shopping for a new Tuxedo, tuxedo shoes, vest and tie (and he isn't even going on the cruise) and even bought me a new garment bag for my birthday!

OK, so you ladies who have posted that your husbands said, "You need new clothes," where did you get these men? Did they come to you this way or did you send them to finishing school or something? Would you entertain the idea of some sort of "sister wife" arrangement? :D:D;)

DH and I have been married 45 years so it took a bit of training. :D We went shopping for a new suit for him before our last cruise. He doesn't really like shopping for clothes for himself - I think it's the hassle of trying things on more than anything else.

Haha! Good for you!! I have a formal that has been on cruises since the 80s...and all my DH can say is, "Well, look on the bright side; at least it still fits." Errrggghh!

Every woman deserves one new dress per cruise.

Oh, and new shoes to match, too!

Last month I saw a black dress which I loved at T.J.'s. My first thoughts were that it would never fit me. To confirm that, I brought it into the fitting room, and surprisingly it fit beautifully. The dress is in my closet now, and is coming on my next cruise.

So glad I'm not the one who says they aren't buying anything new and then goes and buys clothes anyway after looking at what I thought I was

going to take ! Especially when on sale and it is a crime not to save money ! :) My husband says we should be rich for all the money I save him !! Ha ! Ha !

Archived