Leaving luggage outside the room the night before disembarking...

marriedinva

Yes, people do this. If you are not self-disembarking in the morning with all of your own luggage (because you have an early flight) then you place your luggage outside in the hall before whatever time they tell you. Keep what you need for the morning in your room in a carry-on; this includes the clothes you will wear, any toiletries, medications, etc. Do NOT put valuables in your luggage in the hall, and be sure to lock your bags.

Also remember, it's not forever; you will be reunited with your bags the next morning inside the pier when you collect them. :)

• Like 1

does that mean that you have to carry home your dirty pjs in your carry on?

No, only until you get to the baggage area at the cruise terminal. If you have laundry items you don't want to keep in your carry-on, transfer them to whatever baggage you'll be checking in at the airport.:)

Edited by beachbum53

does that mean that you have to carry home your dirty pjs in your carry on?

You could wear your dirty PJ's off the ship. There are people who have been forced to do that because they put ALL of their clothing inside their suitcases - including their shoes.

DON

Can anyone make the decision to self-disembark if they want? Or, do they only allow those with early flights to do it?

Anyone can when they call for the "Self Assist" passengers. I can't speak for other cruise lines since I have only sailed Carnival, but generally the first ones off the ship are Self Assist, then zone 1, zone 2, etc. Self assist can only be done if you/your group can handle all of your luggage yourself easily. A good place to start is your cruise lines website FAQs to find out their particular policies on various things. If you have any questions or need clarification of anything you're not sure about, this is the place to ask those questions. There is a forum for each cruise line with many people that can help answer any questions you might have. Lord knows, I had enough of them before our first cruise! Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No, only until you get to the baggage area at the cruise terminal. If you have laundry items you don't want to keep in your carry-on, transfer them to whatever baggage you'll be checking in at the airport.:)

of course, that makes sense!

(you can tell how 'new' i really am!!)

Do you give your luggage to the airline at the airport?

yes, i do give my luggage to the airline at the airport...but the difference is that i actually hand it to someone and not just leave it inside the terminal door and walk away.

please forgive me for being new and having questions! :)

...do people really do this?

i am very leary about leaving my bags unattended outside my room overnight.

what if i need to add something to my bag?

all the time. no worse than letting it go at the airport.

we always leave enough room in our carry ons for the PJs and toiletries we will need first thing and of course, leave a set of clothes out(* with shoes)

I assume you are using locks on the luggage. they will not be left there all night unattended/. they start picking them up as soon as they are placed out there, with the deadline being 11 or midnight.

We've been cruising for ages and always put our luggage out unlocked in the hall the evening before and have had no problems so far.

They begin picking it up fairly soon after you put it out so it's not like it sitting there all night.

LuLu

~~~~

• Like 1

Never a problem with leaving my luggage in the hallway for pickup......locked or unlocked. Who would want my dirty laundry?

Keep a change of clothes laid out for the next day. Stuff your PJs and other stuff in your carry on and you're good to go.

Must be embarrassing at the time to disembark in your PJs! But a funny story for the future.