Leaving luggage outside the room the night before disembarking...

marriedinva

...do people really do this?

i am very leary about leaving my bags unattended outside my room overnight.

what if i need to add something to my bag?

Well, its not a choice, unless you take it off yourself, and dont pack something that you think you will need. We only travel with carry ons so we don't have to do this anymore.:)

Edited by joie1016
spelling

Just a side note about information in your luggage. It's a fantastic idea but I would never put my home address on the information. Just a security precaution. I use my post box address or my work address along with my cell number.

Chances of anything bad happening because of having your home address is remote. But IMHO better safe than sorry.

Charlie

I agree, I don't use my home address either, just a name and phone number!!

I think once you see it on board it will not look so bad. The halls that night are lined with luggage as far as the eye can see. There are usually people around. A thief would have only moments to pick the exact right bag that had all the cash and jewelry exactly on top next to the zipper so no digging around required - in other words, very difficult and not really worth it.

Last cruise I changed my mind about something in my bag in the hallway and started rummaging through it. I had my cabin door open and was partially inside the door as I went through the suitcase. I got some wary looks and someone may have called it in if it wasn't obvious I was outside my own cabin.

Seems pretty secure, although I always hand carry valuables anywhere.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about someone roaming the halls stealing something out of my luggage. I'm worried about Celebrity misplacing it or someone else walking off with it when it's sitting unattended at the port. Since this is a new cruiser thread, I would read Mel&Ken's update in this thread from this morning at 9:33 am so that you are prepared, just in case the worst happens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917602&page=5

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, I asked him about the luggage and he said I should go to Guest Services desk the night before and they would

advise me what they would prefer I did to expedite my speedy departure.

He did mention though that if they advise me to keep my luggage with me, I will probably have to manage it off the ship by myself because the staff have a very tight turnaround time before the ship departs for it's next sailing.

I love Edinburgh, it's only about 30 mins from my house. Great place to go for a day out and although it's right on my doorstep, there are still parts of it I've never visited! Did you tour round outside Edinburgh at all?

Gillian x

Gillian,

I am still interested in how this "speedy departure" issue worked out for you?

And no, WE did not get to tour outside of Edinburgh; it's one of the issues with cruising... not enough time in ports.

Maybe in my next life, a vacation inland, farther north.

I'm not worried about someone roaming the halls stealing something out of my luggage. I'm worried about Celebrity misplacing it or someone else walking off with it when it's sitting unattended at the port.

I actually did that to someone once although it was at an airport instead of off a ship. I landed at Fairbanks at about 1:00 AM, grabbed my suitcase, and went to my motel. The suitcase was not one of those generic black bags so that is my excuse but I should have checked the tag before I left the airport.

When I opened it, I found that it was not mine. Also, there was no luggage tag on or in the bag or any identification at all so I could not call the owner of the bag. I went back to the airport by cab immediately but the Fairbanks airport at 2:00 AM is totally dead and deserted.

Thing got sorted out the next day but I felt like an idiot and will never do that again.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

• 3 weeks later...
Gillian,

I am still interested in how this "speedy departure" issue worked out for you?

Apologies for not replying to this sooner, but unfortunately my Dad became seriously unwell whilst I was away and sadly he died on Monday of this week.

Remarkably, all my travel arrangements went perfectly! On the outbound journey, despite taking off slightly late, the flight landed 15 mins ahead of schedule, my driver was waiting for me and the transfer to the Port only took around half the time that I was quoted. I was onboard about 4 hours prior to the ship departing.

On the return journey, the ship docked at 5am. I was unsure how long it would take to disembark and find my luggage etc so I asked to disembark at 6.30am (driver was picking me up at 7.15am). I asked about keeping my luggage with me and self-disembarking but Guest Services assured me that there was no need and recommended putting the luggage out the night before for collection.

They were absolutely right, the disembarkation process went like a dream and I literally walked off the ship, straight to my luggage which was easy to spot in amongst the other cases belonging to people with the same disembarkation time/number. There was no hanging about or delays and I was standing at the side of the ship waiting for my driver to arrive (as we were off far too early really for the 7.15am pick up). Interestingly, I was not even remotely near the first group to disembark, there were around 34 groups disembarking before me so it must have been a very slick operation after docking to facilitate this.

I'd have no hesitation to do this again with Celebrity, can't speak for other cruise lines obviously!

Gillian x

every ship I have been on.. have had video cameras in every cabin hallway including most other locations. if someone wants our mostly dirty laundry I'll just turn it into our homeowners insurance and get all new stuff. all electronics, etc.. stay in my carry-on. we were worried about getting to the Barcelona airport for a 10am flight. RCI gave us first off the ship service, bags delivered directly to the terminal by box truck and we were right behind in a bus. we were completely checked in and waiting at the gate by 8:30 am.

...do people really do this?

i am very leary about leaving my bags unattended outside my room overnight.

what if i need to add something to my bag?

It's OK to ask questions, how else would you find out? :)

I am in the locks on the luggage group. It is not just the cruise company's employees that walk past our luggage. :eek:

When we turn our luggage over to the airlines it is handled by multiple people and National news programs in the US like 20/20 have had several

behind the scenes programs with hidden cameras showing what happens with way too much frequency with luggage at airports. This is just a reminder, never put anything in your luggage that is a target. That would be things like jewelery, cameras, smart phone, tablets (like iPad), laptops, just for starters. You should also never leave prescription medications.

Apologies for not replying to this sooner, but unfortunately my Dad became seriously unwell whilst I was away and sadly he died on Monday of this week.

Remarkably, all my travel arrangements went perfectly! On the outbound journey, despite taking off slightly late, the flight landed 15 mins ahead of schedule, my driver was waiting for me and the transfer to the Port only took around half the time that I was quoted. I was onboard about 4 hours prior to the ship departing.

On the return journey, the ship docked at 5am. I was unsure how long it would take to disembark and find my luggage etc so I asked to disembark at 6.30am (driver was picking me up at 7.15am). I asked about keeping my luggage with me and self-disembarking but Guest Services assured me that there was no need and recommended putting the luggage out the night before for collection.

They were absolutely right, the disembarkation process went like a dream and I literally walked off the ship, straight to my luggage which was easy to spot in amongst the other cases belonging to people with the same disembarkation time/number. There was no hanging about or delays and I was standing at the side of the ship waiting for my driver to arrive (as we were off far too early really for the 7.15am pick up). Interestingly, I was not even remotely near the first group to disembark, there were around 34 groups disembarking before me so it must have been a very slick operation after docking to facilitate this.

I'd have no hesitation to do this again with Celebrity, can't speak for other cruise lines obviously!

Gillian x

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your Dad !

Also, I am happy to hear that everything worked out for your disembarkation.

Thank you for replying and letting us know.

As you said, Celebrity must have a very slick operation.