Huge price increase on our cruise

popcan

Still 4 and a bit months away, and prices are climbing! I wonder if they will come back down again before sailing?

We are on the Feb 3 Volendam/Asian collector.

I looked at an available cabin in a little better location: I like to be fwd rather than aft. Don't ask me why. It was one deck lower in a lesser (B) category.

I asked our PCC about it, and she quoted me a price almost 3K more than what I am paying for a AA! :eek:

Guess I am staying put!

The price for my January cruise has gone up for my category, but someone else on my roll call said his price went down. I think there is no real rhyme or reason as to when or why prices rise and/or fall. Maybe when a cruise isn't selling well, prices fall, and then maybe they fall again close to sailing date, although others have reported that as they got closer to sailing , prices rose.:confused:

Hi,

I have the March 3 Volendam booked. I booked in August after I saw the price had gone up $2000 from when I first looked at it. It went up another $9000 and is now showing sold out except for outsides--I booked a BB guarantee. I am not sure that I am going to do it as it is the most expensive per day cruise that I have ever booked. Things may change after final payment Dec.3.

I know what you are talking about Lorene. I am one of the lucky people who got a very good price on the Oct.12 Eurodam. I did a VH guarantee and just got my cabin assignment--VF. That is the worse assignment I have ever received doing balcony guarantees--usually get a VA or VB. I am not complaining as I did not get one of the stand up balconies or one with a steel rail.

Sherlyn

Hi,

I have the March 3 Volendam booked. I booked in August after I saw the price had gone up $2000 from when I first looked at it. It went up another $9000 and is now showing sold out except for outsides--I booked a BB guarantee. I am not sure that I am going to do it as it is the most expensive per day cruise that I have ever booked. Things may change after final payment Dec.3.

I know what you are talking about Lorene. I am one of the lucky people who got a very good price on the Oct.12 Eurodam. I did a VH guarantee and just got my cabin assignment--VF. That is the worse assignment I have ever received doing balcony guarantees--usually get a VA or VB. I am not complaining as I did not get one of the stand up balconies or one with a steel rail.

Sherlyn

Oh yikes, that is not a good assignment. The price on that cruise went down about $1000 from when I booked it. I asked if Hal would give me an upgrade to a VD as it was much less than what I paid They did but they made me pick the cabin. Usually I'll get a va or vb so my nose was a bit out of joint. I guess I ended up somewhat ok. I got a stupid high upsell offer to a ss last week. I took a pass on that.

At the end of June we booked a repositioning cruise for 2014. Three weeks later when the new Explore4 program came into play, we called and did discover that our cruise qualified for it. BUT -- one condition to get the Explore4 deal, we would have to pay an extra $1600 total. Our cruise had jumped in just 3 weeks.

Hi,

Sherlyn

Those are horrible price increases.

Not HAL but our Med cruise next year went up just last week. Obviously we're booked and good to go at the previous rate so not an issue. Our cruising friends have been dragging their feet about booking with us and I'm afraid the 10% +/- increase isn't going to encourage them much. Something afoot throughout the industry?

It all comes down to demand. If I had booked my cruise early I would be pleased for the prices to be increasing.

Keith

Agree. Might also be that at least some cruise lines have finally reached the point where they've cut as much as they can and faced with increased costs and criticism they've at least decided to stop the slide. Maybe.

I am not certain why, if booked, some people seem to enjoy a subsequent category price increase for those who have not yet booked.

There is absolutely no benefit to those who have already booked. Am I missing something? Having others pay a higher fare does not have make me feel better about the fare that I paid. Besides, cruise prices can go up and down over time right up until the last minute bookings.

If anything, it could indicate, for those already booked, that the chances of a subsequent price decrease that they may be able to take advantage of has actually lessened.

I am not certain why, if booked, some people seem to enjoy a subsequent category price increase for those who have not yet booked.

There is absolutely no benefit to those who have already booked. Am I missing something? Having others pay a higher fare does not have make me feel better about the fare that I paid. Besides, cruise prices can go up and down over time right up until the last minute bookings.

If anything, it could indicate, for those already booked, that the chances of a subsequent price decrease that they may be able to take advantage of has actually lessened.

Did someone say they "enjoyed" that? What I don't "enjoy" is getting gouged so I am happy when my price is better than the price hunters. I love getting a "bargain" just as much as you do. Am I missing something?

No, it just when the price goes up I certainly do not think that I am suddenly getting a 'bargain' or a better deal. How can I when the price to me remains constant? Our upcoming SA cruise has increased by $1000 but I do not suddenly think that I got a bargain. I paid what it was worth to me. We might have selected a different cruise/ship had the price been higher at the time we booked. The cruise does not have any additional 'value' to us when the prices are increased.

I only think that we scored a bargain when the price goes down significantly and we take advantage of the reprice or we buy after the price has dropped substantially from previous levels.

It actually bothers me when the price goes up because it is an indication that the cruise is selling well and there will be no price decreases, less upsells, and fewer upgrades except perhaps on inside cabins. I guess we all perceive it differently.

Absolutely.

But a 'good' price to the cruise line is not necessarily a 'good' price from our perspective or indeed a price that compels us book.

We rather like price decreases/reprices, category upgrades, or upsells. We don't worry too much about the cruise line.

At the end of June we booked a repositioning cruise for 2014. Three weeks later when the new Explore4 program came into play, we called and did discover that our cruise qualified for it. BUT -- one condition to get the Explore4 deal, we would have to pay an extra $1600 total. Our cruise had jumped in just 3 weeks.

That is exactly what happened to us. When the Explore 4 came out, the price of our cruise went up about the same as yours. While on HAL, the future cruise person thought we could cancel and rebook.....I told her I had already investigated and knew we wouldn't be able to. She was quite surprised at the price jump!

Absolutely.

But a 'good' price to the cruise line is not necessarily a 'good' price from our perspective or indeed a price that compels us book.

We rather like price decreases/reprices, category upgrades, or upsells. We don't worry too much about the cruise line.

I'm sure everyone likes a good price. When you are still in the workforce and have many deadlines price isn't the driver.

Well, we are working and both have many deadlines, yet price and schedule are probably the two biggest determinants in our most recent cruise booking. Price is pretty important to us with one kid in college and one in med school. I would not discount the importance of price. Haha. I think it is true that a "bargain" is all relative, and in the eye of the purchaser.

How is a cruise selling well a bad thing? I bet the cruise line is pretty ok with it.

As am I. I don't care for the cutbacks we have experienced in recent years. I am fed up with the constant nickel & diming, and the pressure to buy, Buy, BUY! I am willing to pay the price for my cruise, then wish to be left to enjoy it the way I wish.

If HAL is in a position to increase prices for their cruises, this can only be a good thing in the long run. And a very good thing for those of us who book early, when the prices are at their lowest.

That is exactly what happened to us. When the Explore 4 came out, the price of our cruise went up about the same as yours. While on HAL, the future cruise person thought we could cancel and rebook.....I told her I had already investigated and knew we wouldn't be able to. She was quite surprised at the price jump!

Needless to say we did not pay the extra $1600 just to get the Explore4 deal.

I have a feeling that once the promotion deadline for Explore4 ends -- Oct??? -- that some of the prices will go back down.

As am I. I don't care for the cutbacks we have experienced in recent years. I am fed up with the constant nickel & diming, and the pressure to buy, Buy, BUY! I am willing to pay the price for my cruise, then wish to be left to enjoy it the way I wish.

If HAL is in a position to increase prices for their cruises, this can only be a good thing in the long run. And a very good thing for those of us who book early, when the prices are at their lowest.

With these recent price increases, will HAL still cut back on various things?

Like now passing out -- from what I read -- cheap chocolate.

Well, we are working and both have many deadlines, yet price and schedule are probably the two biggest determinants in our most recent cruise booking. Price is pretty important to us with one kid in college and one in med school. I would not discount the importance of price. Haha. I think it is true that a "bargain" is all relative, and in the eye of the purchaser.

I was only speaking of myself. I would never assume this applies to anyone else.

With these recent price increases, will HAL still cut back on various things?

Like now passing out -- from what I read -- cheap chocolate.

I would wait to make that judgement. The fact I didn't notice it says something. If you are looking for fine chocolate it's not there, and wasn't before.

I agree. I only hope this is when they are at the lowest. Experience tells me otherwise.

Archived