Aurora Borealis last night

popcan

Wow! Is this early for the aurora borealis?

I don't know if there is a "season" for the Aurora per se. Maybe conditions are better during certain times of the year, (colder, clearer air?) but also the amount of Solar activity has an impact. I do know that we are supposed to have an unusual amount of Solar flares, or whatever they are called, this year.

Astronomers, chime in! :)

Thanks, I havn.t seen them that good since the last time I was in Northern Alberta 4 years ago this month. I keep looking out my North facing window very late at night but I haven't seen them here on the East Coast for a long while.

Helen

Thanks, I havn.t seen them that good since the last time I was in Northern Alberta 4 years ago this month. I keep looking out my North facing window very late at night but I haven't seen them here on the East Coast for a long while.

Helen

This site may help you. It gives very accurate predictions on the chances of seeing the Aurora, on an hour-by-hour basis.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

Great picture. Could you ask DW what settings she used? Time? f-stop? ISO speed??

Not sure how much detail you're interested in, but here's the basic exif data pulled from the pic: (if you want the expanded data I can give it to you).

Camera in aperture priority mode.

2013:10:01 21:07:30

Panasonic DMC-G2

Focal Length:

29mm (35mm eq.)

Aperture: f/4

Exposure: 15s

Ev: 0

ISO equiv: 400

Those of you who have cruised north of the Arctic Circle, did you see the Aurora up there?

I don't know if there is a "season" for the Aurora per se. Maybe conditions are better during certain times of the year, (colder, clearer air?)
I don't think the air conditions have much if anything to do with it, but they're far easier to see in the winter when it's dark at night. ;)

THIS SITE says the "season" begins in Spring.

A NASA site (now shutdown by Congress) says "And, oh yes, don’t forget the aurora borealis. Spring is aurora season. For reasons not fully understood by scientists, ... Indeed, studies show that autumn is aurora season, too."

This site may help you. It gives very accurate predictions on the chances of seeing the Aurora, on an hour-by-hour basis.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

Not sure how much detail you're interested in, but here's the basic exif data pulled from the pic: (if you want the expanded data I can give it to you).

Camera in aperture priority mode.

2013:10:01 21:07:30

Panasonic DMC-G2

Focal Length:

29mm (35mm eq.)

Aperture: f/4

Exposure: 15s

Ev: 0

ISO equiv: 400

Those of you who have cruised north of the Arctic Circle, did you see the Aurora up there?

Thanks. You answered my question.

Great shot! Certainly a 'bucket list' item for me!

Took the words out of my mouth! I asked when we were in Alaska in June/July but found that we were in the wrong season to see this beautiful sight.

Thanks to the OP for positing!

Never. :( I have spent many a cruise day north of the Arctic circle, and a good many more slightly south of it, but have never seen the Aurora. But then, it's always been prey close to 24-hour daylight when I was there.

I very much want to see the Aurora some day. Perhaps a winter trip to Churchill will get me a view of the Aurora and polar bears on one shot! :D

Archived