Not so happy and need to vent!!!

VacaLovers2

Your joking...right?

You 20-something is not where the money is.

No, it's the parents who spoil them rotten so by the time they are 20 they have so many cruises under their belt it becomes My vacation and My ship but No real job. As parents we did not have it, so we had to GIVE it to them. Welcome to the generation of those who enjoy music from the 80's have created.

This thread needs to take an ExLax, rinse down some Geritol tablets with a glass of warm milk, and then go to bed. When it wakes up in the morning, it may want to consider assisted living.

Hip hop/rap is highly popular, and all the more so with people under 40. It ain't my thing, neither is country, and I think the 80s pop scene was creatively the single ugliest musical decade in the 20th century -- which was part of the last millennium, in case anyone has forgotten.

I still love lots of things about the old days, but I also remember the adults who endlessly ripped me for having extremely long hair, torn blue jeans, and for listening to that *&@!# rock music... Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Deep Purple. And, oh the shrieking, when I discovered underground gay and lesbian bands, punk, funk, wave, and all the other wonderfully raucous alternative music.

Really, nothing makes you sound older than grousing about music that young people enjoy.

This can be fixed. Complain to the HD & CD first day and tell him / her that you don't want hip / hop from DJ. I complained politely but sternly to hotel director on NCL. Told him his DJ was clearing out packed houses every night with house / techno / hip hop. Also told him it costing him 1000's of $'s in bar revenue. Bob Seger, rock, disco next night. Also complain to DJ. I told him to play what the crowd likes, not what he likes. It seemed to work.

DO NOT SUFFER IN SILENCE!!

In addition.... Get off MY ship if you don't like the smoke or the music or the passengers or the shows or the comedians or the crowds. There are many people in MY age group(20-30) that love everything carnival does. Carnival is simply catering to the majority base.(Yes, it is the 20-somethings, as much as you don't want it to be...) I personally love to go on the crazy floating party machine. Simply put, there are many other cruise lines that cater to an 'older' crowd.

Sorry for venting, but I'm so sick of reading everyone's gripes about a company that obviously isn't targeting their market.

I was the one who started this thread...

Please vent...everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I strongly encourage it!

However, I am only 32 and love Hip Hop/Rap. I prefer the late dinner so I can enjoy the night life because I am on vacation. I enjoy staying up late because I'm not "old", I smoke, like raunchy comedy and like all other genres of music and I don't want to keep hearing the same old stuff. Verity makes people happy.

I love everything about cruising and I have never complained about any other aspect of cruising. I just think that this will make people happy and turn the "Fun Ship" more "Fun"...especially at night.

Also, the majority base of cruisers is over 30 (as you can tell from the CC comments) because we pay for it on our own! Meaning we worked to make this happen.

Enjoy your future cruises with al of us "old" folks!

My DH and I have been on two cruises and both times we have been unhappy with the late night entertainment in the dance club.

Please don't get me wrong we really like all genres of music, but the club only seems to play hard rap/hip hop after 9pm. Many times I have seen before the rap/hip hop starts there are many people of ALL age groups dancing and have a good time. Then the rap/hip hop starts and the club clears out. Some rap or hip hop is fine for one night, but what about all the other types of music?

I know Carnival plays different genres each day in the dance club, but it is at an odd time and only for a short period. I really wish Carnival would change the genre each night on the ship to accommodate different tastes of music until they close the club. I personal would like to have an 80's night, Country night, Classic rock night, disco night and more NOT JUST HARD RAP/HIP HOP!

How many of you would be willing to stay longer or frequent the club more often if this change was made???

Go to Vegas and try the clubs there , since cruise entertainment is not for you.

The #1 reason for not booking CCL is their lackluster musical lineup. No pool band, no calypso music, no cover bands at night, just DJs pumping out the same stuff as land based clubs aimed at 23 year olds. No variety. Music and lively crowds are a big part of a vacation, CCL only is concerned with cheapest entertainment it can get.

Wow, with all the music on the ship, if it's not what you want to hear move on to the next location.

Agreed...but sometimes you just want a mixture of music and dance. You can't do that in the piano bar or anywhere else. Why does this have to turn into an argument? I was just asking a simple question.

If the music was different would you stay longer or frequent the dance club more often?

Go to Vegas and try the clubs there , since cruise entertainment is not for you.

Please read my other post...you will see I am just pointing out the obvious. FYI...I love Vegas, but I prefer to cruise With Carnival because they are GREAT!!!!

Guess I'm in the minority here, we like hip hop in the clubs.

We can hear big band, jazz, disco, country, salsa, 80s...lots of places on land. We're too old to go to the hip hop clubs, cruises are the only time it's socially acceptable to dance to it. :D

I enjoyed Wobble on our cruises. But I like everything (that is not offensive.) I work in radio and love our new hits station and love our classic rock station. I am class of 2000 so 90s music whether old skool, boy band (oh yeah! Love it. Not ashamed to admit it. When I'm on my elliptical, the Spice girls Pandora channel is very good to me) or fun hits like Barbie Girl or Cardigans etc, that stuff is just fun to dance to the same way Ke$ha and Lady Laga, Bruno Mars are fun to dance to now. Current music is a lot more than hip hop so a good dj playing current music should have a variety of options to dance to without it all sounding ghetto, ahem, urban....

The Last week that Pleasure Island was open, we went up to 8track and it was packed out with late 20s/30s (and up I'm sure) people having a blast rockin out to Bon Jovi etc. It was a fitting way to go out and I miss that place as it was. That is a great memory.

At 31, I'm happy right with all of it (offensive language and content notwithstanding) so I would dance all night to GREAT songs from 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, they all have something really fun and great to offer. Current music does too but there are still some great decades ago songs too.

I think that's what people want. They don't mind some new hip hop just as long as not all of it sounds like its booming from a car next to the 7-11... He he expecting stereotypical flaming.. Hehe

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Guess I'm in the minority here, we like hip hop in the clubs.

We can hear big band, jazz, disco, country, salsa, 80s...lots of places on land. We're too old to go to the hip hop clubs, cruises are the only time it's socially acceptable to dance to it. :D

I feel the same ... and dh and I are 43 and 38 respectively.

Honestly - it keeps me "young at heart" to embrace what is popular with today's young people. I don't think today's music is any objectively better or worse than any other era's. It's the emotional connection to "older" music that skews perceptions, IMO.

I noticed this too, when I was on Pride this past April. They would have a theme (80s/country/disco and such) every night, but it would only be played for about an hour 9-10 or 10-11 I forget which, then it would be hip hop/rap music for the rest of the night. I too enjoy many genres of music, including hip hop/rap, but i think we would of spent more time in the club if it was all mixed throughout the night. We ended up going to the piano bar often.

I agree - the club definitely does not play the type of music my husband and I enjoy dancing too (cha cha, east coast swing, shag) but while we were on the Pride in August, THE CELEBRATION BAND in the Starry Nights club was fantastic.......we truly danced a lot and loved their sound and the songs they played.........we "heard" that live bands will continue on Carnival for another year or so......but I'm not sure...........:o:o

I do not to the disco because do the smoke....but oddly enough, no matter what time of night I walked by, I too have heard the rap .....

I did not realize they did it that much.....

It would be cool if there was a kiosk inside the door where you could order the songs you want to hear!

This was both the case on the Breeze and the Conquest a couple of weeks ago. On the breeze the disco was still full, but on the Conquest they were trying HARD to get some people to come into the disco. Last week when walking back to the ship in Cozumel a guy who works on the ship (Conquest) asks me out of nowhere if I had already been to the disco and I told him that I do not like the music they were playing in there and that I was a couple of weeks ago on the Breeze and they would throw some salsa, bachata, merengue etc in between. He told me that Breeze sails out of Miami and lot of latinos and because they sail out of NOLA they had to adjust the music.

In addition.... Get off MY ship if you don't like the smoke or the music or the passengers or the shows or the comedians or the crowds. There are many people in MY age group(20-30) that love everything carnival does. Carnival is simply catering to the majority base.(Yes, it is the 20-somethings, as much as you don't want it to be...) I personally love to go on the crazy floating party machine. Simply put, there are many other cruise lines that cater to an 'older' crowd.

Sorry for venting, but I'm so sick of reading everyone's gripes about a company that obviously isn't targeting their market.

I've got news for you: my money spends just as well as yours, and the notion that any ship is more yours than it is mine just proves how much of an arrogant, narrow-minded child you really are. You can stomp your feet, hold your breath and whine all you want, but the long and short of it is Carnival's demographics (look it up) is NOT a "majority base" of 20-somethings. You might see it differently since that's the only age group you seem to give a crap about, but, as much as you think the world revolves around YOU, it doesn't. If a DJ stood there and played nothing but waltzes or big band music, I can see you throwing a tantrum (I mean it is YOUR ship).

Grow up, stop thinking only about yourself, and drop this 'arrogant entitlement' schtick.

I was like 24 on my first CCL, 28, 29, 30 on my CCLs. I love to sing, dance and have a great time. I don't listen to non Will Smith 90s rap, definitely have never smoked a day in my life and most definitely do not think that it is "my ship". Yikes. I hope they don't think most class of 2000 generation etc are like that...

It seems to me that a good DJ should study the dance floor, and see what music gets the people on the floor. If he he playing something that causes everyone to leave, take that song off the list. A good DJ should also take requests at any time, and not just play what he wants to hear. He should watch the crowd, and check out the ages in there. Never play only one type of music. Always request what you want to hear. You won't know if he has it if you don't ask. Remember that these DJs are young, and they play what they like, but they have to have different types of music with them.

I feel the same ... and dh and I are 43 and 38 respectively.

Honestly - it keeps me "young at heart" to embrace what is popular with today's young people. I don't think today's music is any objectively better or worse than any other era's. It's the emotional connection to "older" music that skews perceptions, IMO.

I agree with both you and the other poster. I am 53 and love the dance/hip hop music. if I was only younger to go to the clubs and enjoy it! I am not and have never been a dancer, but I love music! As far as rap, I don't like hard core stuff, but I love Macklemore's "Thrift Shop"!:D

I have to agree with the op the rap rap and boom boom are making people leave the nightclubs.

And the loss of money that people would spend on drinks there, I know some will go to other bars and some will not.

But it would be a good idea to mix it up on nights.

Everyone has seen the cutbacks on lido and the theater and the nightclubs for Carnivals entertainment for their guest.

Have to agree that there is way too much of the hard core rap/hip hop in the clubs. I have zero interest in dancing (God didn't give me the ability but did give me the good sense to realize it), but I do enjoy just sitting and listening to the music while enjoying a few drinks.

If there is a mix of music types I have no problem, but when every song is the same old "whumpa-whumpa-whumpa" it gets old quick.

As far as what kind of music I like, if a band can't play it's own instruments instead of relying on a beat box, I won't listen to it.:D

Archived