Dining with the Captain

cruisinval

Crazy question about dining with the captain. We are a group of 12 women, this is a special occasion for us, as we have been friends since high school :D

We thought it would be a fun to see if we could dine with the captain. I have been told that you inquire at the guest services desk when boarding. Does anyone know how this works? Thanks!

Don't think they do this on Carnival. Most of the Captains we've met have such heavy accents they are hard to understand. Plus at a table for 13, it would be hard to hear across the table. We had a table for 10 last week and it was an effort to talk across and the dining room wasn't even full (or noisy). Have fun with your friends.

Crazy question about dining with the captain. We are a group of 12 women, this is a special occasion for us, as we have been friends since high school :D

We thought it would be a fun to see if we could dine with the captain. I have been told that you inquire at the guest services desk when boarding. Does anyone know how this works? Thanks!

I dined at his table once by invitation fr him. I was a group leader for a large group.

In over 13 cruises I've only seen the Captain once in the MDR.

The majority of the time the Captain eats dinner in the Staffs personal dining room or on the Bridge. John Heald has said that on the rare ocassion that the Captain does eat in the Main Dining Room, its because the Home Office has already invited certain passengers to eat with him...

I once got a bridge tour with the Captain, after being told no at customer service. I asked him at the Captains dinner and an invitation was under our door the next morning. Ask all they can saw is no :D

I've dined with the Captain a few times, but always in the officers dining room, never in the regular dining room. As noted, the Captain is quite busy, but does, on occasion, make time for special times with the passengers. I'm a singer, and recently was asked to sing for the Captain. We (me and several of the officers, as well as the Captain) spent about two hours together. GREAT FUN.

I too, would suggest simply going to the pursers desk and inquiring about "dinner with the Captain". They just might surprise you with their answer, and it certainly can't hurt to ask! :cool:

"SKY"

I did this once on our "Destiny" 2006 cruise. This was our 1 anniversary and wanted to try something special. I wrote a hand written letter and asked him if we could dine with him. I gave it to the front desk when we boarded. Didn't know if anything would come of it.

But the second night in the dinning room, the maitre de came to our table and said we were invited to dine with the Captain... It was pretty cool.

Then for my parents 40th anniversary I was able to do the same thing for them. But it turn out different then what I had asked for. My dad is an Merchant Marine Captain of 30+ years. I thought it would be cool for him to dine with the Captain. So we were cruising a couple weeks before my parents. Not on the same ship. But I wrote to the Captain of the Valor. Gave it to the front desk on the Sensation and they said they would forward it on.

Turns out he didn't dine with him, but got a tour of the bridge. Which was probably more up his lines... This is before they started to doing the Behind the Seen tour.

After 17 CL cruises, I can't recall ever seeing the Captain in the MDR. Doesn't mean he hasn't been there, just haven't seen him.

I have dined with the Captain in the MDR at Brunch, in the

Cucnia Capitano (sp) and in a private dining room.

The majority of the time the Captain eats dinner in the Staffs personal dining room or on the Bridge. John Heald has said that on the rare ocassion that the Captain does eat in the Main Dining Room, its because the Home Office has already invited certain passengers to eat with him...

I would say there's you answer. Contact the home office and make the request. Most they can do is say no.

Don't think they do this on Carnival. Most of the Captains we've met have such heavy accents they are hard to understand. Plus at a table for 13, it would be hard to hear across the table. We had a table for 10 last week and it was an effort to talk across and the dining room wasn't even full (or noisy). Have fun with your friends.

LOL, I was thinking exactly that. I have severe hearing loss, so it makes it that much more difficult for me to cut through an accent.

I met the Norwegian Captain on the NCL Pearl a few years ago. I complimented him on the beautiful ship. He said something that sounded like something those Sesame Street characters would say. I smiled politely........

On our 1st two cruises on the Festivale in 83 and 84 there was only one dining room and the Captain invited different guests to dine with him each evening.

Many times on the Bloggers cruises, John Heald will host a "head table" which often includes the Captain, Hotel Director and some of the VIPs who have large groups of people on the ship.

I'd rather he was on the bridge than in MDR. Visions of Concordia come to mind.

Well he has to eat, sleep and I doubt there is a port-a-potty up there.....:p

But seriously, I doubt the Captain is on the bridge even 1/2 the time the ship is underway.

Why yes I am, but also no better than anyone else, nor am I less special than anyone else. I was just posting some of my experience. And you had to jump in and be rude.

Not rude, just responding to your post. You changed the font type when you listed the private dining room part. Oh well, never mind, glad you had this privilege. Happy cruising.:D

I've never understood the desire to eat with the captain of the ship. I'd probably rather eat with a staff member. Both folks doing a job. I would probably have more in common with a server or a steward.

I do hope the OP gets her wish although I think just traveling with that many friends every dinner is going to be special.

I've never understood the desire to eat with the captain of the ship. I'd probably rather eat with a staff member. Both folks doing a job. I would probably have more in common with a server or a steward.

I do hope the OP gets her wish although I think just traveling with that many friends every dinner is going to be special.

Like:D

Archived