changing U.S. Dollars to Euros

lssg

When you are trying to buy a train ticket late at night at an unmanned station, and your magnetic-strip card is not accepted, who are you going to quote this to? There won't be anyone at the station to listen. There are many businesses that can't/won't accept cards without chip and pin, and not one of them has lost their Visa privileges yet.

First off using the tix machine is a far cry from using a card in a restaurant. I would not call the train station a business. That being said travelers that do good research like we ccers should know to have euro with them for tix machines. Tolls. And the like.

My cap one cards have been accepted all over Italy. Museums. Hotels. Stores. Restaurants.

I know to use cash only with street vendors. Tix booth. All automated situations and the like

One can never do too much research and face it we have no responsibility for those that get caught up in difficult credit card situations due to lack of research.

When you are trying to buy a train ticket late at night at an unmanned station, and your magnetic-strip card is not accepted, who are you going to quote this to? There won't be anyone at the station to listen. There are many businesses that can't/won't accept cards without chip and pin, and not one of them has lost their Visa privileges yet.

Actually how would any of us even know if a business lost their visa privileges? Maybe when they post a sign saying cash only but then again that could mean they just don't want to pay the merchant fee.

Bottom line research your travels and have ATM cards credit cards and plenty of cas euro on hand and anticipate the what ifs and have plan b and c in your back pocket. Oh and don't forget to reconfirm all reservations and tours and call your bank and apprise them of your travel plans

I guess it's a little different for us Canadians - I wouldn't think about trying to spend a Canadian dollar in Europe. Our local bank will sell us Euros, US dollars or British Pounds quite easily - they always have it on hand when I ask. Before our last cruise, I bought some Euros (paid about 130 Canadian for 100 Euro) to have on hand when we landed. Also used our CC in Italy (ours are chip & pin).

In Canada, we NEVER buy foreign currency at the bank. Their rates are too high. We travel frequently. And the auto club uses a bank rate so no joy there either. On a $5K purchase we will typically save at $150. by not going the bank.

We have a number of foreign exchanges stores where we live (NOT at the airport).-so there is some competition.

They have more reasonable rates...so much so that even the folks where I bank buy currency here because of the cost (even with their employee discount).

In Canada, we NEVER buy foreign currency at the bank. Their rates are too high. We travel frequently. And the auto club uses a bank rate so no joy there either. On a $5K purchase we will typically save at $150. by not going the bank.

We have a number of foreign exchanges stores where we live (NOT at the airport).-so there is some competition.

They have more reasonable rates...so much so that even the folks where I bank buy currency here because of the cost (even with their employee discount).

We live in a small town, so no foreign exchange stores here. All we have is the bank, but since we don't travel much, we only buy a small amount of foreign currency, so even at their rate, it doesn't cost us too much in the long run. Wish we had more choice.

First off using the tix machine is a far cry from using a card in a restaurant. I would not call the train station a business. That being said travelers that do good research like we ccers should know to have euro with them for tix machines. Tolls. And the like.

My cap one cards have been accepted all over Italy. Museums. Hotels. Stores. Restaurants.

I know to use cash only with street vendors. Tix booth. All automated situations and the like

One can never do too much research and face it we have no responsibility for those that get caught up in difficult credit card situations due to lack of research.

You are absolutely right. I was only responding to the Capital One Visa rep's assertion that businesses that don't accept magnetic strip cards can lose their Visa facility. Although I would call Trenitalia a business. And places like the local petrol station, unmanned after 8 pm, but still open for chip-and-pin cards.

99% of people will have no problem using their good ole' mag strip CC or a C&S card at a restaurant, store, museum. Those places have human interface, where they can plug in a number or print out a paper for you to sign. I used my two C&S cards (Amex and VISA) over in Rome this May and never had them refused. When a server would bring the machine to my table, I would just indicate that I had to sign - no problem. If you are traveling insulated where you will never take a train/bus on your own or drive, not having a C&P card will most likely not be an issue. If you are going independent and will be taking train/bus or driving, you should have researched enough that you WILL need a C&P card to use the automated ticket machines/gas pumps/autostrada toll booths. OR, hope that you get there at a time of day/night where there is someone who will assist or the place has a place for a automated cash transaction.

It's all about knowing the options and preparing for them;)

I had no problem using my good ole American credit cards when buying train tix on the trenitalia website. I wanted the security of a reserved second class seat on the train for my family and I wanted the time I wanted. I have also never had a problem buying tix on the RailEurope website.

Considering I would not buy longhaul train tix at the last minute anyway, it really wouldn't matter if they took my card in the machine or not.

when we buy metro 1 or 2 ride tix we know to use cash. same with all automatic machines.

so in response to a pp, Trenitalia is a business and it does take regular old cards on line and in person at a manned ticket booth.

really folks lets think a little clearer here. Cards are accepted everywhere even without pin and chip or whatever it is called. Restaurants, hotels, stores etc. If you want to go off the beaten path, which is loads of fun and adventure IMHO, then just be sure you have enough cash to survive or be sure you have the right cards in your possession.

To act as though cards are being rejected left and right is just incorrect. The people who are having problems are having problems at small B N Bs, small side street cafes and at automated machines like toll booths, gas stations and train stations.

so lets clear it up. If you have an adventurous trip planned or are renting a car or want to stay in a private home or small hotel type accommodation, then just find out what sort of payment they require.

I know that my private drivers do not readily accept credit cards so that is why I am prepared with 500 E to pay them. I also know to ask if they accept credit cards before I sit down in a restaurant. If they don't I will then decide if I want to stay there or leave. But honestly all restaurants have taken cards but I am also always prepared with cash.

Planning Planning Planning is what it takes and may I add Planning? LOL Backup plans as well.

For those posters who travel the back roads all I can say is I wish I had the time and money to travel to Europe and see all those small towns again by car. However, life is calling me as are kids so travel at this point is usually a pre and post cruise stay and as long and as exotic a cruise I can find! LOL outer Mongolia will have to wait as will a trip to the Carpathian Mountains and the next time we are just in a small town like Ceri or Ceveteri, I will do what I always do. Ask if they take cards, no problem.

BTW, I always book hotels that take cards as well, but only pay upon check out. and my credit cards, all of them, are just the regular ole good ole USA type of credit cards. no pins no chips and my siggie is so worn out on the back that you can barely read it. as a matter of fact my back actually asked me once if they could send me an early replacement because they figured with all the use it gets, that is must be wearing out. LOL

Also, I have earned points enough to pay for entire vacations!

Our hotel offered a discount on the room if we paid at the end of our stay with euros. We used the ATM most of the time and one of the shops with the rate posted (very near the Vatican) once. We used a Visa cc a couple of times for a few of our purchases. We never had a problem using any of these means. We only wanted a small amount of euros to get us to our hotel so we split the expense in JFK to get a few euros. We used them to pay the driver who took us from the airport to the hotel. We found that Rome had an ATMs everywhere, along with the stores that did the exchanges and most shops and restaurants had no problem with the Visa.

99% of people will have no problem using their good ole' mag strip CC or a C&S card at a restaurant, store, museum. Those places have human interface, where they can plug in a number or print out a paper for you to sign. I used my two C&S cards (Amex and VISA) over in Rome this May and never had them refused. When a server would bring the machine to my table, I would just indicate that I had to sign - no problem. If you are traveling insulated where you will never take a train/bus on your own or drive, not having a C&P card will most likely not be an issue. If you are going independent and will be taking train/bus or driving, you should have researched enough that you WILL need a C&P card to use the automated ticket machines/gas pumps/autostrada toll booths. OR, hope that you get there at a time of day/night where there is someone who will assist or the place has a place for a automated cash transaction.

It's all about knowing the options and preparing for them;)

you know, I really believe that if someone gets caught up in a situation it is really their own fault. Who rents a car in Europe without knowing these things? Who does anything anymore without research? Just askin because I am a firm believer in personal responsibility and would never venture into the unknown without preparation. Renting a car in Europe is not exactly foreign to me nor is it a major issue, but geez people, do the research.

and that is why we are on CC and reading this thread.....research and knowledge so as not to get caught short.

you know, I really believe that if someone gets caught up in a situation it is really their own fault. Who rents a car in Europe without knowing these things? Who does anything anymore without research? Just askin because I am a firm believer in personal responsibility and would never venture into the unknown without preparation. Renting a car in Europe is not exactly foreign to me nor is it a major issue, but geez people, do the research.

and that is why we are on CC and reading this thread.....research and knowledge so as not to get caught short.

I've seen enough posts on CC and other sites to know that some people will not think of the possiblity that using CCs, renting cars, size of hotel rooms, etc., will be the same wherever they go as it is in the US. The recent posts about things like "will I be able to use my US dollars in Spain??" shows the level some of our CC friends are at. Any help, any little hints can help.

The funny thing about questions like using US dollars in Europe is that there are places that welcome them. Turkey is a perfect example and Croatia also welcomed my cash. Funny thing about Croatia was that some places took dollars. Some kuna. Some euro. Same with turkey the signs were all priced in Turkish lira. Euro. Dollars. But as usual Turkish lira only at certain places like when buying a team tix I believe. However the mainstream countries like Spain France Italy etc. euro was the only currency.

I really would hate to be planning my first trip to Europe especially if I were an infrequent traveler to start with.

Think it's interesting now planning a first trip to Europe with the euro??? Try doing it back in the "dark ages" when every country had it's own currency and an ATM (Bancomat) was a very rare thing! A trip with a sports group had us needing German Marks, Swiss Francs, Italian Lira, figuring out how much to get of each.

Everyone has to plan their first trip to Europe - we've all done it. We now try to make it easier for those now doing the same thing - learn from our mistakes/experiences.

maggiecruises

You are wrong in saying that credit cards are accepted everywhere without chip and pin. I was shopping in Carrefour, one of France's major chains of hypermarkets and my CC was ot accepted. It was because it was a replacement card and I had forgotten to activate the PIN. I asked if I could sign as I had my passport with me and the check out girl said it was not possible as their machines are not programmed to be able to do that. I ended up paying with another card which I hadn't wanted to use.

Also, many taxi firms in Europe accept CCs to pay the fare and usually have signs up in the taxi to advise you.

Although most restaurants in Europe accept CCs not all do, although they generally are small establishments or off the beaten track that don't.

If you bought your Italian train tickets online, of course it doesn't matter if you don't have chip and pin.

Funny thing about Croatia was that some places took dollars. Some kuna. Some euro. Same with turkey the signs were all priced in Turkish lira. Euro. Dollars. But as usual Turkish lira only at certain places like when buying a team tix I believe. However the mainstream countries like Spain France Italy etc. euro was the only currency.

Not all European countries are signed up to using the Euro €.

(Not all European countries are members of the European Union, which is 1st step, and then they must meet the banking & financial criteria to join the euro-zone - to be able to use the €).

http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-information/money/euro/

Only 17 of 28 European countries have the Euro as their currency :

Austria

Belgium

Cyprus

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Ireland

Italy

Luxembourg

Malta

the Netherlands

Portugal

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

So just as Euros are not usable in America, Dollars would not be acceptable in these countries (the euro-zone).

[some people (often taxi drivers/ cash-in-hand transactions) in countries on the fringes of the euro-zone may want dollars (as a stable currency/black economy? - I don't know), but - that would not mean that you could generally use dollars, as the country has it's own legal currency].

Croatia - which has joined the European Union this autumn - does not yet meet the financial criteria and it's currency is still the Kuna (and it's predicted that Croatia will not be in a position to adopt using the Euro until 2019).

Not all European countries are signed up to using the Euro €.

(Not all European countries are members of the European Union, which is 1st step, and then they must meet the banking & financial criteria to join the euro-zone - to be able to use the €).

http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-information/money/euro/

Only 17 of 28 European countries have the Euro as their currency :

Austria

Belgium

Cyprus

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Ireland

Italy

Luxembourg

Malta

the Netherlands

Portugal

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

So just as Euros are not usable in America, Dollars would not be acceptable in these countries (the euro-zone).

[some people (often taxi drivers/ cash-in-hand transactions) in countries on the fringes of the euro-zone may want dollars (as a stable currency/black economy? - I don't know), but - that would not mean that you could generally use dollars, as the country has it's own legal currency].

Croatia - which has joined the European Union this autumn - does not yet meet the financial criteria and it's currency is still the Kuna (and it's predicted that Croatia will not be in a position to adopt using the Euro until 2019).

Yes I know that but the point I was making was that both Croatia and turkey gladly took US dollars or euro even though they were not on the euro at the time. Actually the last currency turkey wanted was their own Turkish lira. Of course they took it but euro and dollars were the preferred currency in the shops and for private tour payment. Only automated machines in turkey actually required lira. And yes I understand turkey is still not on the euro and Croatia just began their entrance to its use. Bottom line in 2008 in Croatia and 2012 in turkey both US dollars and euro were welcomed

Yes I know that but the point I was making was that both Croatia and turkey gladly took US dollars or euro even though they were not on the euro at the time. Actually the last currency turkey wanted was their own Turkish lira. Of course they took it but euro and dollars were the preferred currency in the shops and for private tour payment. Only automated machines in turkey actually required lira. And yes I understand turkey is still not on the euro and Croatia just began their entrance to its use. Bottom line in 2008 in Croatia and 2012 in turkey both US dollars and euro were welcomed

Please note that my response below is NOT flaming you or doubting your experience, as that is your usual go-to response when anyone has a different experience to yours.....

I've visited Turkey every year, at least once a year and sometimes more, since 2006 -- including a 2-week trip on my own. While I agree they will accept euro and dollars (generally second to euro), it was not my experience that these currencies were preferred to lira.

Turkey has a booming economy and is doing very well. They are happy to deal in their own legal currency if you have it. If they are happier to take your euro or dollars, that probably means you are getting an exchange rate from them that makes more money for them. As Hank would say, the Turks are born merchants and can run all kinds of transactions in their head to figure out even the smallest advantage of one exchange over another.

I also ran into several shops in Dubrovnik on my trip there this spring that would not accept anything other than kuna as currency. At one point, I actually had to nip down the street to an ATM, having bargained the shop owner down to a good price -- but only payable in cash, in kuna.

....anyway, I'm not really sure what this all has to do with Italy, where euro are definitely the preferred currency. :D

Archived