Gythion taxi to Sparta HELP

POSTAPB

Hallo,we are gonna sail sat 26th oct, Msc Armonia. We'll stop in Gythion,too.

As we prefer not to travel long distance we had planned to stroll a little bit around and then going back onboard, but...now our youngest son- aged 9 - (who probably will be easily bored as, for the first time, he travels with us without his oldest brothers or our friends' children ...)has just asked us to visit Sparta. We tried to tell him that just few ruins are left but he showed us his school book with picture of the statue of Leonidas and he told us that he must go there...

We never book cruise shore excursions and we prefer not to rent a car (and in Gythion isn't easy anyway...) Please could anybody tell me the cost they paid for a 2/3 hours sightseeing tour by taxi from Gythion?

Please reply back asap with info, Thanks regards :)

Hallo,we are gonna sail sat 26th oct, Msc Armonia. We'll stop in Gythion,too.

As we prefer not to travel long distance we had planned to stroll a little bit around and then going back onboard, but...now our youngest son- aged 9 - (who probably will be easily bored as, for the first time, he travels with us without his oldest brothers or our friends' children ...)has just asked us to visit Sparta. We tried to tell him that just few ruins are left but he showed us his school book with picture of the statue of Leonidas and he told us that he must go there...

We never book cruise shore excursions and we prefer not to rent a car (and in Gythion isn't easy anyway...) Please could anybody tell me the cost they paid for a 2/3 hours sightseeing tour by taxi from Gythion?

Please reply back asap with info, Thanks regards :)

I cannot answer your question directly. However a taxi from Kalamata airport to Stoupa, in the same area, takes a little under one hour and costs a little over 60 Euros. I would negotiate a fixed price, talking to more than one taxi driver and aim for around 100-150 Euros. Given the current economic climate in Greece, that would be a very good fare for one day.

Thanks for your reply, YES, I daresay 100-150 euro seems to be the correct rate that a taxi driver may ask... Anyway we're considering the idea of renting a car. Unluckily Gythion is not like Santorini or Katakolon or other ports in Greece where lot of rental agencies are available. Only Rozakis can arrange it (they are a maritime agency) and you must book it in advance. It isn't possible to decide upon arrival.

We'll see...Bye!:)

If it is going to cost as much as €150, you'd be cheaper with the MSC shore excursion.

Ladt week on the Musica the Sparta and olive museum tour was €32.90 per adult and €22.90 per child. No idea if it was any good as I don't generally do organised tours. The tours will maximise the time there as they get you off the ship on the first tender boat. Private excursion/arrangements don't get you on the first tender. However they were organised last week and within an hour, they had rattled through 21 separate tenders (3 boats being used) and the bulk of the not full ship off.

Thanks for reply. We really don't like shore excursions organized by cruise companies. Everytime we booked one, as we considered too difficult to organize it, we always regretted it. Anyway we'll scroll the list of MSC tours in Gythion. We aren't interested in olive oil museum, we are from Italy. My husband's uncle has olive trees in Umbria and he produces his own olive oil that's used by all the family.

I'm afraid the only option is renting a car; we prefer to travel at our pace.

Travelling in a foreign country by car is always a little bit worrying, we'll see ...

:)

It was impossible for me to get an email address of a local tourist office, then I wrote to a hotel in town to ask info. A very polite hotel owner told me that GYthion ->Sparta and back by taxi, including 90 minutes stay in Sparta, should cost around 100 euro. Mystras seems to be a little bit higher. I'm afraid it'll depend on negotiating with driver and we're not very good at that...

there's a bus service too but the timetable doesn't suite our needs.

I quote her replies:

"There is also a public bus to Sparta the following hours

Gythion to Sparta: 07.30 - 09.15 - 14.00 - 16.00 - 19.00

Sparta to Gythion: 9.00 - 10.30 - 11.30 - 14.00 - 17.30 - 19.15"

"you can rent a Taxi at the square of Gythion. The price will be 100€, sometimes more.

I spoke with a taxidriver, he was the one who gave me this infos. So you will choose a taxi by yourself."

Archived