CARNIVAL or PORT Employees???

Captain Carnival

I am curious if the workers at the port, those who check you in and give you your sail and sign cards etc., are Carnival employees or Port employees....does anyone know? :confused:

Thanks!

From my understanding they are long shoremen and not Carnival employees

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

I am curious if the workers at the port, those who check you in and give you your sail and sign cards etc., are Carnival employees or Port employees....does anyone know? :confused:

Thanks!

The people that take your luggage are not Carnival employees. The people that ck you in are. That's why they have Carnival name tags on

As far as I know, the porters that take your luggage are Port employees. I believe the staff that sign you in and give you your Sail & Sign cards are Carnival employees. I submitted an application on Carnival's web site for this position.

Interesting. I have friends who work at the port in Baltimore and they do check in for Carnival and RCI which also sails from that port. They wear tags for whichever line they are checking in on that day. They are not Carnival employees.

I would assume that it works that way at all ports. Maybe not.

Interesting. I have friends who work at the port in Baltimore and they do check in for Carnival and RCI which also sails from that port. They wear tags for whichever line they are checking in on that day. They are not Carnival employees.

I would assume that it works that way at all ports. Maybe not.

Its the same in New Orleans. Actually a member of this forum works at the port. Maybe he will see this thread and add to the discussion.

The people that take your luggage are not Carnival employees. The people that ck you in are. That's why they have Carnival name tags on

I recently tours the NCL Breakaway, NCL Gem, Carnival Splendor and Carnival Glory all at NYC port. The workers work for the ports. At times some must carry the colors for the company to switch into if they are working different ships for the day. I spoke with several of the employees some of them actually work in Bayonne as well.

I recently tours the NCL Breakaway, NCL Gem, Carnival Splendor and Carnival Glory all at NYC port. The workers work for the ports. At times some I must carry the colors for the company to switch into if they are working different ships for the day. I spoke with several of the employees some of them actually work in Bayonne as well.

It really makes sense, because they wouldnt get many hours each, week just working for one cruise line.

The people that do the check in is most likely a port employee and not a carnival employee. These check-in people are usually handle by a company called Intercruises (http://www.intercruises.com/)

If the port allows it, there might be a carnival employee in a some kind of guest services area in the terminal to help people print out documents or something like that

The Carnival embarkation staff work through an agency that deals with most of the major cruise lines. I can not think of the name (I'll post it when I remember), but these employees are not entitled to any/most of the discounts that Carnival employees are. We sailed with a couple of them on the Pride CTN last November. They brought their bags to work with them and checked in at the last minute.

ETA: The name of the agency is Intercruises.

This is similar for many airlines at their outstations (smaller airports). These are usually places where they have less flights and wouldn't require full time staff, or where the airline is not in the business of employing ground agents and so they contract local companies out (Delta seems to be doing this at more and more places).

I work for a charter airline and we don't employee airport staff at any of our airports. All check-in, gate/boarding, ramp/baggage staff are all contracted employees. Some companies we contract are international and work for us at a number of stations, others are local companies serving a small airport and provide staff for all airlines who fly there. The staff are all issued our uniforms and fully trained on our specific procedures. We provide oversight on their operations and employ supervisors and duty managers at our larger bases. Basically, it keeps the costs efficient and 9/10 passengers wouldn't know the difference since the job duties are (usually) fairly basic.

Makes sense for cruise ports to be staffed similarly. I mean when you think of how many staff, for example, Carnival would need in the Port of Miami on a weekend compared to say a Wednesday is drastic.

Good discussion! I imagine this is a point few people are really aware of. Take-away point: if you're really in a jam, ask to speak with Carnival's supervisor on duty.

Up until August of this year the people who checked you in at the Port of Galveston were NOT Carnival employees. Our favorite check-in people told us on our return from the Magic on August 11 that on August 12 the check in people in Galveston were becoming Carnival employees. They did not know whether or not they would still have jobs. Leave it to Carnival to leave the people hanging until the last possible minute. They worked for an agency who provided the cruise line with check-in personnel. Sometimes cruising out of Galveston the best part of the trip was the Platinum check-in and this couple who worked VIP check-in were the absolute best. I don't know if we will ever find out if they are still there as our next cruises are on Princess and then Royal Caribbean. Not planning on going Carnival again as my first cruise as a Diamond was a total disaster.

If you look under Carnival Careers they do hire embarkation staff. Most ports would be part time but in Miami the ships leave on Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday making enough hours for a full time job.

Thanks!! Do you recall the name of the position, and if Tampa utilizes these positions?

The folks who check you in, and give you the sign-n-sail cards in Tampa, are Holland America employees. You can apply for those positions, (when there are openings) at the HAL site.

Good luck.

"SKY"

Archived