Magic first cruise cancelled

DISNEY FANTASY

More on the Magic problems.

A CM has said and mentioned some flooding and collapsed ceilings. Reports elsewhere say, It didn't sound good at all.

Where are you getting this information from? Are you suggesting that the Magic was damaged during the TA voyage last week? I haven't read or heard anything about that at all. Just that there was still work to be done.

Where are you getting this information from? Are you suggesting that the Magic was damaged during the TA voyage last week? I haven't read or heard anything about that at all. Just that there was still work to be done.

I haven't suggested that it was damaged in any way? I pointed out some flooding and collapsed ceilings , nod that's from reports from people on the ship that are freely available to read.

Flooding, well two guesses here, either 1 magic had flooding on one eastbound Atlantic crossing, I think it was 2007, or 2 the work on issues with the foul sanitation pipes from the restrooms was not competed or not sound, that would explain the cruise being cancelled.

Ceilings well new ones put up, may have fallen in tough seas, it's feasible. Maybe be not secure, say in renovated staterooms which were refurbished, they may look at sir con and access it and in tough seas some fell down.

Overall actually doesn't sound bad.

Certain work is not allowed at some ports. I remember noting rust stains on the decking on a ship I was on in the Med. and they eventually were allowed to paint at one port only. That also includes staining deck rails if a ship needs it. Miami looks quite full today and P.C. has the empty dock which the Magic has moved to. This dock will probably be turned into a embark/disembark area with a new building...hoping larger ships will use P.C.

I remember a HAL ship's pool was splashing quite a bit in rough weather. It was running everywhere on that deck. I guess it could leak down to the deck under it.

Edited by catl331

Certain work is not allowed at some ports. I remember noting rust stains on the decking on a ship I was on in the Med. and they eventually were allowed to paint at one port only. That also includes staining deck rails if a ship needs it. Miami looks quite full today and P.C. has the empty dock which the Magic has moved to. This dock will probably be turned into a embark/disembark area with a new building...hoping larger ships will use P.C.

I remember a HAL ship's pool was splashing quite a bit in rough weather. It was running everywhere on that deck. I guess it could leak down to the deck under it.

Each port has rules and regs on what's agreed can be done, hence why DCL used Castaway so much as it's, it's own an the Bahamas control very relaxed.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

I'm a little concerned about what my VGT cabin is going to be on the Magic for the November 10 sailing. I am now wondering if they are going to assign the best cabins to the ones who rebooked their trip from the canceled cruise....

We will see

I am worried about that too .. we are on a Nov 6 sailing and VGT guarantee not assignment yet. As Jenn mentioned there will most likely be people spilling onto the upcoming cruises. They better not give them the best spots ... nothing personal but they already got a free cruise for their trouble

I would guess DCL reservations are very very busy at the moment with one Magic cruise cancelled and trying to re book everyone. Also bring careful until Magic goes back into service, so assignments unfortunately go to the bottom of the list.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

I've tried to call 3 times already, but after being on hold for more than 15 minutes each time, I guess I'll just wait it out. Not too concerned about my room location actually, more concerned if the cruise is going to be cancelled.

As my previous post they will be very busy with the magic cruise today cancelled and people rebooking or having enquiries. I wouldn't call unless it was very urgent.

We were on the Med. cruise in 2010 when the Magic hit a storm off the coast of France. The ship listed so much that the pools partially emptied and ran down the stairwells. Some dropped ceiling tile did drop around the ship. No one was allowed on their balconies as well as outside. There was some damage in breakage and a large number were sea sick. The laundry dept. was quite busy. it was quite a storm.

We were on the Med. cruise in 2010 when the Magic hit a storm off the coast of France. The ship listed so much that the pools partially emptied and ran down the stairwells. Some dropped ceiling tile did drop around the ship. No one was allowed on their balconies as well as outside. There was some damage in breakage and a large number were sea sick. The laundry dept. was quite busy. it was quite a storm.

That sounds very similar to current reports.

We'll as we can all tell, this dry dock period was not nearly long enough, which I was concerned about from the moment I heard what changes will be made and the amount of weeks scheduled to do the work. I also don't buy the weather being the main problem for the delay. However, I would rather them delay the sailings and get the work finished, and have her sail in perfect condition, unlike the Carnival Sunshine which did a lot of work while passenger sailed on her complaining about roped off areas and water leaking from one cabin down to the other. I feel bad for the passengers, but I would not be surprised if they canceled the second sailing too if they are not done by next Thurs or Friday. We will have to wait and see. I also felt that the work should have been done by the same shipyard that built her since they were already familiar with her design. JMO

We'll as we can all tell, this dry dock period was not nearly long enough, which I was concerned about from the moment I heard what changes will be made and the amount of weeks scheduled to do the work. I also don't buy the weather being the main problem for the delay. However, I would rather them delay the sailings and get the work finished, and have her sail in perfect condition, unlike the Carnival Sunshine which did a lot of work while passenger sailed on her complaining about roped off areas and water leaking from one cabin down to the other. I feel bad for the passengers, but I would not be surprised if they canceled the second sailing too if they are not done by next Thurs or Friday. We will have to wait and see. I also felt that the work should have been done by the same shipyard that built her since they were already familiar with her design. JMO

That's easy for you to say if you're not on one of the upcoming cruises. We are scheduled to sail next Sunday 10/27, there is a 2 night cruise on Friday so work has to be finished prior to then.

I'm at peace with a cancellation as we have a backup plan but I would appreciate more notice than was given to the previously canceled-on cruisers.

That's easy for you to say if you're not on one of the upcoming cruises. We are scheduled to sail next Sunday 10/27, there is a 2 night cruise on Friday so work has to be finished prior to then.

I'm at peace with a cancellation as we have a backup plan but I would appreciate more notice than was given to the previously canceled-on cruisers.

Looking back clearly there is an error, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but dry dock was too ambitious and too little time, I read posts prior go the dry dock where a cruiser on the last Magic cruise spoke to officers who said, it will not finish in time.

I think rough seas is a minor issue, in fact why didn't they plan for this? It will be rough in the ocean in October, so if that's the reason then they still should have planned for it. I think it's Disney speak giving something beyond their control as an excuse, in fact they tried to get the ship back in service too quick and ended up with far more costs and some reputation damage now.

The only good thing is they did cancel the cruise bar trying to sail in a poor condition.

Like I said, I feel bad for the passengers, but would passengers rather have the cruise canceled and get the same compensation as the passengers of the first scheduled cruise or sail on her unfinished and have the same problems as the Sunshine passengers? I do hope though that they do have her finished and ready to go for your cruise but with collapsing ceilings and flood, they will need some extra pixie dust to be ready on time.:(

Thank you Disney Fantasy for the excellent pictures on sailaway.

We were at a meeting at Disney HQ with Karl Holz (President DCL)and Lyza Migliorati (Imagineer)in London three weeks into the drydock and at that time all was going fine.

Regards

Chris and Yvonne

Disneyholics

Thank you Disney Fantasy for the excellent pictures on sailaway.

We were at a meeting at Disney HQ with Karl Holz (President DCL)and Lyza Migliorati (Imagineer)in London three weeks into the drydock and at that time all was going fine.

Regards

Chris and Yvonne

Disneyholics

The sail away photos are not mine.

Anyone have any status updates on the progress of the work onboard Magic? Since we heard they cancelled today's cruise a few days ago, we decided not to tell our 3 year old, she's going on a cruise until we have more certainty that our Oct 25 sailing is a go. This situation has kind of taken the usual fun out of getting ready for a trip.

Anyone have any status updates on the progress of the work onboard Magic? Since we heard they cancelled today's cruise a few days ago, we decided not to tell our 3 year old, she's going on a cruise until we have more certainty that our Oct 25 sailing is a go. This situation has kind of taken the usual fun out of getting ready for a trip.

Good idea not to put your daughter through the stress. All I could think of is to have a couple "go" bags that you could grab at a moments notice. Three days? All I would need is underwear, socks and a bathing suit. Oh yea, a credit card.;)