Cancellation/change sail date?

dennman03

We are first time cruisers booked on Liberty Dec 2nd. We booked over a year ago, and made final payment in June. Booked directly thru RCI.

My traveling companion's Sister was diagnosed with lung cancer and may be nearing the end of her life, so obviously he does not want to leave her at this time.

we are now 46 days from our sail date and don't know if we should cancel and what that would mean finanically. We did purchase the Cruisecare insurance thru RCI. But it seems confusing and over our heads. I believe also she was diagnosed before our final payment was made which seems to affect coverage?

The RCI website states we have 2 more days to cancel and lose only our deposit, after that it goes to 50%. Is that with the insurance?

Also I have read posts about changing sail dates. If we could do that with little or no penalty, we would gladly choose a later date.

Can anyone offer assistance? Thanks.

Dennman03 - Did you actually PAY for the CruiseCare when you booked? or with your Final Payment (in which case the insurance isn't in effect until you actually pay for it)?

I'd make some calls, briefly stating the situation, and asking if you can possibly "change the booking" to a later cruise.

At WORST, with the CruiseCare policy you can probably "cancel for any reason" and get 75% of your nonrefundable costs back, albeit in the form of a future cruise CREDIT. Govt Fees and Taxes, and pre-paid gratuities are directly refundable.

the insurance coverage/reimbursement is totally separate from the cancellation penalties listed in the RCI Cruise Contract.

ken

Call your insurance carrier and ask them if this is covered. If not, call RCI and ask if you can transfer your cruise to a later date. Sometimes this is possible even after final payment. Do not just arbitrarily cancel the cruise without checking this out.

Archived