What are some Hole in the Wall not to miss places to eat?

whataboutport

Not looking for fancy upscale expensive places, or the famous landmarks (already know about those). Any hole in the walls or dives we need to visit? We'll be there from Sat evening until Wed afternoon next month. Open to all types of food. TIA

Edited by whataboutport

Here are some of our favorites. Most are ethnic, but with a distinctive New Orleans spin. All are inexpensive, and have been around long enough to have stood the test of time.

Bennachin, 1212 Royal Street. African. Lunch specials under $10. One is Jamaican Chicken, a great local version of jerk chicken, but not too spicy.

Country Flame, 620 Iberville. It calls itself Mexican, but is more Cuban.

El Gato Negro, 81 French Market Place. Sort of Mexican. Great margaritas.

Johnny's, 511 St. Louis, Some of the best poor-boys in the French Quarter.

Mena's Palace, 200 Chartres. Typical New Orleans cuisine.

Salt N' Pepper, 201 North Peters. Indian/Pakistani. Lots of goat and vegetarian dishes.

Vacherie, 827 Toulouse. Excellent sandwiches and lunch specials.

Depends on the definition of "hole in the wall." Neighborhood places that are not "dives"--Liuzza's, Mandina's and Parkway Tavern in Mid-City area, and Mr. Ed's in or next to Bucktown by Orleans-Jefferson parish line. Will need a car for all of these, but the first three are a short taxi ride from downtown.

Not looking for fancy upscale expensive places, or the famous landmarks (already know about those). Any hole in the walls or dives we need to visit? We'll be there from Sat evening until Wed afternoon next month. Open to all types of food. TIA

We were there in September. Two of the places we went I would definitely go to again. I don't believe either would be considered a hole in the wall. But neither were they touristy places.

For breakfast, we went to Ruby Slipper on Magazine Street. We were there by 8:30 am and go lucky enough to get 3 stools at the counter. When we left, 45 minutes later there was a pretty long line outside. Excellent breakfast. Excellent service and the best damn Bloody Mary I've had in a long long time.

For dinner one night we took the Canal St streetcar up to Midcity (about 10 minutes) and went to Katies Diner. (seen on Diners DriveIns and Dives). Tiny little place. Definitely not in the middle of everything like down on Bourbon Street. Got there around 5pm and didn't have to wait. Excellent food. Highly recommend the Crawfish Beignet. IMO just about everything in N.O. is expensive with respect to food. Its to be expected. You're in New Orleans But if you want something out of the way with fresh ingredients and a nice eclectic menu, you should most certainly try Katie's

We've gone to Acme Oyster House, which was good, but definitely touristy. We've went to Felix's Oysters House across the Street as well. OK, but IMO Acme was better, even with the longer wait.

I would return to Acme if I had the time. But for a little place that isn't so touristy, I most definitely recommend Katie's. And I would return to Ruby Slipper for breakfast in a heartbeat.

Edited by Nadersmom

We were there in September. Two of the places we went I would definitely go to again. I don't believe either would be considered a hole in the wall. But neither were they touristy places.

For breakfast, we went to Ruby Slipper on Magazine Street. We were there by 8:30 am and go lucky enough to get 3 stools at the counter. When we left, 45 minutes later there was a pretty long line outside. Excellent breakfast. Excellent service and the best damn Bloody Mary I've had in a long long time.

For dinner one night we took the Canal St streetcar up to Midcity (about 10 minutes) and went to Katies Diner. (seen on Diners DriveIns and Dives). Tiny little place. Definitely not in the middle of everything like down on Bourbon Street. Got there around 5pm and didn't have to wait. Excellent food. Highly recommend the Crawfish Beignet. IMO just about everything in N.O. is expensive with respect to food. Its to be expected. You're in New Orleans But if you want something out of the way with fresh ingredients and a nice eclectic menu, you should most certainly try Katie's

We've gone to Acme Oyster House, which was good, but definitely touristy. We've went to Felix's Oysters House across the Street as well. OK, but IMO Acme was better, even with the longer wait.

I would return to Acme if I had the time. But for a little place that isn't so touristy, I most definitely recommend Katie's. And I would return to Ruby Slipper for breakfast in a heartbeat.

I already have Katie's bookmarked! I didn't know it was on DDD, I hope it doesn't have the DDD curse like most the others LOL. The crawfish beignets were what got me. We ate at this French soul food place in San Francisco and they had crawfish beignets and they were so yummy!

I want to try Acme, and really want the try Ruby Slipper, but seems it is too pricey. This little stop in NO is going to be after a cruise, so I expect to be out of money by then! :eek:

Sal's Seafood in the west bank area. Local eatery, nothing to look at but great crawfish and seafood at great prices - maybe 1/3 what you'd pay in the tourist district for less food.

That sounds great! Thanks. We are actually staying in Merrero, so that is perfect.

That sounds great! Thanks. We are actually staying in Merrero, so that is perfect.

Just don't confuse it with another seafood place - I think the other one is captain Sal's or something like that.

The one we went to was just Sal's seafood. And I believe it is in Marrero. They cover the table in newspaper and dump the crawfish in the centre. Loved it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Harbor Seafood or Kenner's Seafood in Kenner near the airport! It was packed with locals! It's not fancy,but the food was so good! I will give Harbor the slight edge. But both places are not in what consider the tourist areas,esp Kenner's. I knew that I was in a true local eatery when at Kenner's a customer asked another one where were they on Sunday, didn't see them in church.

Now you do need a car to visit either because a cab ride will not make the cost worth it.

Harbor is pretty good, it is pretty affordable too.

The other place I would recommend if you have a car is Dimartino's on the westbank or northshore, excellent gumbo and sandwiches.

Thanks! That place looks good too and there's a location near our hotel. :)

I already have Katie's bookmarked! I didn't know it was on DDD, I hope it doesn't have the DDD curse like most the others LOL. The crawfish beignets were what got me. We ate at this French soul food place in San Francisco and they had crawfish beignets and they were so yummy!

I want to try Acme, and really want the try Ruby Slipper, but seems it is too pricey. This little stop in NO is going to be after a cruise, so I expect to be out of money by then! :eek:

Curse?:eek:

It's the curse of DDD that's mentioned around food forums, that once Guy Fieri "discovers" the place and it airs on his show, the place gets swamped and the quality goes down. I guess too much hype.

Ahh... ok thought it would be something like that but wondering how far it went... as in did they end up closing the business.

We went to two of the ones he had on his show in Seattle and I really wasn't all that impressed. The first one was a chili place and I didn't like it at all but not a big chili fan but DH thought it was ok and 2 friends liked it but nothing to rave about. The other one was really good the first time around but kinda meh... after that.:rolleyes:

The Crawfish beignet at Katies.

I know that taste is subjective. So some people may say it was just "meh". But I really really liked it. DH also tried it, which surprised me as he generally doesn't go too far out of the normal comfort food zone. He really enjoyed it as well.

33c1agp.jpg[/img]

The Boudreaux Pizza at Katies. This was also good. But I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I would have had I not eaten that entire darn Beignet beforehand :rolleyes: I was already full but had my heart set on trying this pizza. It was really good. But my heart wasn't in it due to my fully belly

281vv6a.jpg[/img]

Service was OK. Not outstanding, but not bad at all. Just pretty standard I guess.

Sorry, no pics from Ruby Slipper. Agree, they were a bit pricey. But I was expecting pricey being in the middle of New Orleans and it was vacation. I knew I wouldn't get there again any time in the near future so I was gonna go for it! LOL My husband said his omelet was good but he certainly didn't rave about it. He did like my Bloody Mary. I had the eggs blackstone and I thought it was wonderful. Met and exceeded my expectations.

By the way, Katies also has a Seafood Beignet.

I have a tendency to ask my waiter or waitress what they recommend, what they've tried, what they sell the most of, ect. You can get some good info from them if you ask the right server.

Our waitress said that her opinion was that the seafood beignet tended to have so much added stuff in it that it kind of overpowered itself. She said that the crawfish beignet was more enjoyable.

Lemme tell ya dawlin', if ya want real New Orleans go to Liuzza's. You can't get a more character filled neighborhood joint than Liuzza's. A lick your fingers good roast beef po-boy and a frosty beer (or root beer), or onion rings, or shrimp po-boy or panne pork chop with fettuccine alfredo. It's not fancy, but you will get real N.O. family cooking.

Lemme tell ya dawlin', if ya want real New Orleans go to Liuzza's. You can't get a more character filled neighborhood joint than Liuzza's. A lick your fingers good roast beef po-boy and a frosty beer (or root beer), or onion rings, or shrimp po-boy or panne pork chop with fettuccine alfredo. It's not fancy, but you will get real N.O. family cooking.

Sounds like we should head here for supper Saturday night ;)