Alaska Cruise questions

homeatlast

If we are able to manage a Alaska cruise on Oceania next year, which cabins do you recommend, port or starboard? Last time we were on an R ship was a few years ago, Rome to Venice in a penthouse. Do you recommend a penthouse for Alaska, or if we are on a budget next year, would concierge class do nicely, with maybe an upgrade possibility?

We did the Alaska Fiords & Frontier cruise this past May on Regatta. We had a starboard concierge A1 cabin and were very happy!

We sailed out of Vancouver and cruised the inside passage, stopping at Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka and Wrangell. With the exception of Wrangell, the starboard cabin gave us views of the other cities as we arrived and were docked.

If we are able to manage a Alaska cruise on Oceania next year, which cabins do you recommend, port or starboard? Last time we were on an R ship was a few years ago, Rome to Venice in a penthouse. Do you recommend a penthouse for Alaska, or if we are on a budget next year, would concierge class do nicely, with maybe an upgrade possibility?

Why not try to get one of the cabins on the aft of the ship. Amazing views to both sides.

True the aft cabin can be good, and at times maybe a port or starboard too.

For Alaska, however, there are 2 very important considerations. Light, that is when the sun sets, and vista.

Remember the sun will really not set and it will be light close to mid-night and this can be disruptive to trying to darken the cabin and get some sleep:cool:

Secondly, other than the bridge, there is no place that offers a better view than being out on deck with a 360 degree view. Alaska is so large that it needs to be immersed in. Things are all around you and need to be seen as a whole rather than in parts. :rolleyes:

For these reasons I book for Alaska, an inside cabin for the rest it provides and second that it encourages you to get out and into that world of sight and sounds that you will never experience in a cabin or on a balcony as much as on deck.

Finally the money you save can be more productively utilized to take really great shore explorations! The real Alaska experience can not be had from the ship..you have to get off and dig in.

Because Alaska cruises are short port intensive affairs with travel between ports done mostly at night/evening, there will only be at most 2 maybe 3 at most cruising days our of 7 to 10. It is not day after day of vistas from the cabin window or balcony:rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents from experiences up north and perspective

... Light, that is when the sun sets, and vista.

Remember the sun will really not set and it will be light close to mid-night and this can be disruptive to trying to darken the cabin and get some sleep:cool:

Well, a bit of an exaggeration, depending on what time of year you go, and how far north. Sun sets in June, in Juneau, about 10 p.m. at the latest; in August between 8 and 9, 9-9:30 in May.

Well, a bit of an exaggeration, depending on what time of year you go, and how far north. Sun sets in June, in Juneau, about 10 p.m. at the latest; in August between 8 and 9, 9-9:30 in May.

But twilight keeps it fairly light for much longer. I remember being in Whitehorse and our children saying it is too early to go to bed as it is still light outside. That was 11pm in early July.

In the big world there is sunrise and sunset and the times between each when you can see and read a news paper before and after....Twilight. Wher ships and peple can navigate and wander around un aided with clear light to see by. Actual dark can go even longer.

Juneau

June 1 Sun rises 4am, sets at 9:49 but remains light till 10:58 pm

That's 5 hours and 1 min of darkness, 0r 18:59 of daylight.

.what the heck lets just call it 19 hours of daylight

June10 That goes to Sunrise 3:52 AM and last light at 11:16 pm So no its 44 min short of Mid-night, :rolleyes: so no not at midnight your right

August 1 last light is 10:07 pm...

Sept 1 last light 8:35pm

I have to second what Hawaiiandan said. We were in the Kenai Peninsula in mid June, staying in a cabin with large windows and a skylight and no blackout curtains. It never really got totally dark. Twilight seemed to last forever and shortly after, the irridescent blue light that preceded dawn was there. Needless to say it was difficult to sleep even though the woods were quiet. We booked an inside room for our Alaskan cruise next year, both for the price and the dark.

I have to second what Hawaiiandan said. We were in the Kenai Peninsula in mid June, staying in a cabin with large windows and a skylight and no blackout curtains. It never really got totally dark. Twilight seemed to last forever and shortly after, the irridescent blue light that preceded dawn was there. Needless to say it was difficult to sleep even though the woods were quiet. We booked an inside room for our Alaskan cruise next year, both for the price and the dark.

It sounds alluring to get a balcony for Alaska but you really short change yourself... and I am glad you figured out the negative of being up 18 to 20 hours a day after rushing around. It burns your candle at both ends real fast...

We sailed on O's first cruise to Alaska in May, cat. D with a porthole view rather than full windows, and it was perfect. We like deck 3 for its privacy and quiet. At least in May that year it was too cold to lounge outdoors most of the time, and we loved Horizons for the fantastic views all around. If your cruise includes Tracy Arm, the ship shorex for the pontoon boat to Sawyer Glacier is fantastic, worth the 6 hours time, and every penny. Do it if you can. Marlene

We have never been to Alaska but have been to the Baltics on O, their curtains are wonderful and if you perhaps have a problem with them closing totally I suggest you bring a clothespin to secure it. We are booked on an aft cabin for our June Alaska itinerary. If there is so much daylight as Hawaiidan stated then I am glad I booked this cabin as I would not want to sit "on deck" to "absorb" the beauty of this wonderful destination for more than 14 hours. We prefer to just idly sit on our balcony, drinks in hand, "absorbing" the awe and if we want we will venture on deck. Everybody has their choices, we are all different. I am happy with the choice we have made.

When we were in Alaska in May 2012, it was mostly too cold or wet to be on the balcony. Side did not matter.

Our experience in May of 2010 was different and we were able to use our aft balcony for the views while cruising. We had almost no rain and hope may 2014 will be the same. May is supposed to be the or one of the driest months in Alaska.

A stateroom with a skylight and no blackout curtains? What was the name of the ship (and stateroom class)? I'll be sure to avoid it at all costs.

I don't want to stay in any stateroom that would prohibit a visit from Eric Northman. ;)

Eric-Northman-alexander-skarsgard-8828253-1152-864.jpg

...Secondly, other than the bridge, there is no place that offers a better view than being out on deck with a 360 degree view. Alaska is so large that it needs to be immersed in. Things are all around you and need to be seen as a whole rather than in parts. :rolleyes:

For these reasons I book for Alaska, an inside cabin for the rest it provides and second that it encourages you to get out and into that world of sight and sounds that you will never experience in a cabin or on a balcony as much as on deck.

Finally the money you save can be more productively utilized to take really great shore explorations! The real Alaska experience can not be had from the ship..you have to get off and dig in.

I agree. And for these reasons I also advise sailing Alaska on Coral or Island Princess.

These ships have far greater numbers of outdoor viewing areas (full promenade deck, 2 forward public balconies, 4 aft public balconies, plus of course the usual areas on the top decks). This is critical for glacier viewing, because you can move around the ship to see views from all angles. And because they are "smaller" ships [for a mass market cruise line] you will never feel crowded

And they go to Glacier Bay!

Archived