Small cabanas on the cay - Great Stirrup Cay

limeyalchemist

The beach in front was open to anyone. There were lots of chairs down there that anyone could use. It wasn't too crowded down by us, perhaps because our cabana was a bit of a walk, and unless you had a cabana you probably wouldn't walk down that far. The beach area closer to the recreation and food areas was very crowded though. I've attached a picture of the cabana for you to check it out.

cabana.jpg.4f30c9e43077b499398a25a157388586.jpg

• Like 1

The beach in front was open to anyone. There were lots of chairs down there that anyone could use. It wasn't too crowded down by us, perhaps because our cabana was a bit of a walk, and unless you had a cabana you probably wouldn't walk down that far. The beach area closer to the recreation and food areas was very crowded though. I've attached a picture of the cabana for you to check it out.

That looks perfect! What number is it? Are the higher numbers the furthest down?

I believe so, yes. I know someone upthread said number 11 was very near the bathroom, which we definitely had to walk to. This was number 17, and there were only a few that were further than ours I think.

Thanks!

One last question - how long ago were you there? There's a guy on FB complaining about construction noise, but I get the feeling he's just trying to scare people away so he can get a cabana. :'):')

We were just there in mid-October, and we didn't have a problem with any construction noise, but I don't know how much they were doing at that point. We saw some equipment down aways, but it didn't look like people were working. Maybe it's gotten worse? Noise was definitely not our complaint; the horrible service for the high price was what made it so disappointing for us.

We were just there in mid-October, and we didn't have a problem with any construction noise, but I don't know how much they were doing at that point. We saw some equipment down aways, but it didn't look like people were working. Maybe it's gotten worse? Noise was definitely not our complaint; the horrible service for the high price was what made it so disappointing for us.

I dunno, looking at a map, it looks like it's far enough away that it shouldn't be an issue. And as far as service, we're more self-serve anyhow, and would be happy not seeing staff constantly. ;) The other half can't sit still for long and often goes for drinks himself!

Thanks again!

• 8 months later...

I am wondering if they pick you up with the tram at the end of the day to return to the boat? I have mobility issues and want to rent a cabana but am concerned about the walk back to the ship afterward if they give me one too far out. Thanks so much for your help with this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 5:37 PM, skrebelr said:

I am wondering if they pick you up with the tram at the end of the day to return to the boat? I have mobility issues and want to rent a cabana but am concerned about the walk back to the ship afterward if they give me one too far out. Thanks so much for your help with this.

I'm quoting this since I would like to see an answer myself.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, skrebelr said:

They did not when we were there in February. No tram/cart either way. I would assume one with mobility issues could ask for assistance though?

10 hours ago, Wendy&Grumpy said:

They did not when we were there in February. No tram/cart either way. I would assume one with mobility issues could ask for assistance though?

Thanks so much for your  reply,  I will ask now before I book

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 4:14 PM, Deeliteful said:

Interested too

sorry folks can not help since we did not get to use them -they did not stop on our cruise 😞  This is the second time we missed the Private Island due to weather, I am hoping to get there eventually!!!!!

we ended up getting a large cabana instead of the small (a nice surprise!) and it was very very nice. that part of the beach is WAY less crowded. there's a bar nearby and food (which was SO good). it was worth it for our group of 6 so i would highly recommend! even if you don't do a cabana, go to this area of the island. there were so few people and we all found the snorkeling to be better on this side as well.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

On 5/23/2019 at 12:05 PM, yebba said:

we ended up getting a large cabana instead of the small (a nice surprise!) and it was very very nice. that part of the beach is WAY less crowded. there's a bar nearby and food (which was SO good). it was worth it for our group of 6 so i would highly recommend! even if you don't do a cabana, go to this area of the island. there were so few people and we all found the snorkeling to be better on this side as well.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Did you get the $50 food credit for snacks? I’ve heard they’ve discontinued it and all you get now is floats, no food credit and no water.

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Did you get the $50 food credit for snacks? I’ve heard they’ve discontinued it and all you get now is floats, no food credit and no water.

we got all sorts of food delivered to the cabana. water would be free from the bar (or cabana person) and the food pictured above was free also. there’s no shortage of food or drink! 😎

4 minutes ago, yebba said:

we got all sorts of food delivered to the cabana. water would be free from the bar (or cabana person) and the food pictured above was free also. there’s no shortage of food or drink! 😎

Thanks! Part of the excursion is bottled water in the mini fridge and snacks (shrimp cocktail, charcuterie, fruit platters) that you order via menu a day or 2 before you get to the island. Was this available?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Thanks! Part of the excursion is bottled water in the mini fridge and snacks (shrimp cocktail, charcuterie, fruit platters) that you order via menu a day or 2 before you get to the island. Was this available?

In early May, the $50 credit & menu to preorder food were still included, as well the bottled water in the fridge. 

I'm assuming the sandwich and chips pictured above are from the buffet, as there were no sandwiches available on the cabana menu. 

• Like 2