(limited) Free Credit Card Travel Insurance

Lookingforfacts

http://www.frommers.com/community/blogs/arthur-frommer-online/_rumor-easy-availability-of-of-charge-travel-insurance-only-partially-very-partially-true

A few of the Chase cards are now including up to $5000 for trip cancellation. It also offers coverage for lost, and delayed, luggage.

This doesn't include any medical benefits but some (many?) people have coverage, including medical evacuation, through their health insurance.

Many people may still find the need for travel insurance but some people may find this (limited) coverage adequate for their needs.

http://www.frommers.com/community/blogs/arthur-frommer-online/_rumor-easy-availability-of-of-charge-travel-insurance-only-partially-very-partially-true

A few of the Chase cards are now including up to $5000 for trip cancellation. It also offers coverage for lost, and delayed, luggage.

This doesn't include any medical benefits but some (many?) people have coverage, including medical evacuation, through their health insurance.

Many people may still find the need for travel insurance but some people may find this (limited) coverage adequate for their needs.

From what I have read on here, most Americans do not have health coverage once they leave the country. For me, the medical treatment and evacuation are the most important things. If you had the Chase card you could probably save some dollars for not getting the items covered by the card. As far as I am concerned if you leave the country without health coverage you face possible financial ruin (multi-millionaires not included:D).

From what I have read on here, most Americans do not have health coverage once they leave the country. For me, the medical treatment and evacuation are the most important things. If you had the Chase card you could probably save some dollars for not getting the items covered by the card. As far as I am concerned if you leave the country without health coverage you face possible financial ruin (multi-millionaires not included:D).

Many people have at least emergency coverage worldwide. Medicare doesn't offer coverage outside the US and many cruisers are over 65. I suspect that's where "most" comes from.

I think many posters overstate the need for travel insurance. Many people have health insurance which includes things like medical evacuation.

Many people have health insurance which includes things like medical evacuation.

Does "Many" people include me?

My employeer provided medical insurance does provide coverage outside of the US. Upon further investigation though

1. They cover only at "Out of Network" rates.

2. Emergency medical evacuation is ONLY to the nearest facility capable of treating the emergency. Will not cover medical transportation back to hospital of choice for continued care.(ie. in a coma)

3. Will not provide any documentation that shows ability to pay if in fact I cannot afford any upfront monies that may be required prior to beginning of treatment.

4. Does not provide any type of "Repatriation" services if required.

For my circumstances, additional travel insurance which includes such coverages, works best for me.

BlueCross CareFirst just cancelled our health insurance - we and 400,000 other policy holders in the DC/MD/VA area were canx due to Obama Care. We were insured with BC for 20 years - no pre-existing conditions or major claims.

In past years, this policy covered us overseas under the "out of network" provisions and we were quickly reimbursed for documented medical expenses on our cruises. That's gone.

Our new policy with Anthem offers NO coverage for medical costs incurred outside the US. Lesson: its a new environment, know your health policy's exclusions and coverage, obtain PRIMARY health insurance when cruising outside the US, realize your health insurer may no longer chose to provide overseas coverage that you may have once had.

Except for annual plans (many of which require you to have international coverage), not having primary travel insurance usually isn't a big deal. For most of them, they merely require you to file with your primary coverage (if any) first; they don't require your primary coverage to actually pay anything. It'll add maybe a week to your claim time, as your own insurance company won't hesitate to slap a "denied" on that claim and send it back to you.

Primary travel medical is a nice feature, but not one I'd pay extra for.

Under that scenario a visitor should travel abroad without insurance coverage.

I disagree. If an unexpected incident requires hospitalization or considerable treatment in port or onboard (e.g. coronary, broken leg, infection, violent crime), you incur substantial costs if primary health insurance coverage is absent.

For example, a simple visit to the ship doctor triggers a $300-400 bill. Add more if an antibiotic or follow up visit is required. Traveling "naked" overseas simply transfers the risk of considerable financial pain solely onto the consumer/tourist.

I disagree. If an unexpected incident requires hospitalization or considerable treatment in port or onboard (e.g. coronary, broken leg, infection, violent crime), you incur substantial costs if primary health insurance coverage is absent.

For example, a simple visit to the ship doctor triggers a $300-400 bill. Add more if an antibiotic or follow up visit is required. Traveling "naked" overseas simply transfers the risk of considerable financial pain solely onto the consumer/tourist.

Secondary travel coverage is no different from primary in this respect. Both work on a reimbursement basis. Some plans will, however, issue a payment guarantee in the case of really expensive on-shore treatment. (On-ship treatment does not require a financial guarantee prior to treatment, and if you can't settle your bill, they will hardly imprison you on-board.)

There might be a slight misunderstanding between the terms Primary and Secondary when it comes to travel insurance and medical claims.

What's the same?

Both require you to pay up front for any costs, then when you return you file a claim for reimbursement.

What's different between Primary and Secondary?

First of all price

Primary means that any claims only have to be submitted to the Primary.

Secondary, which is normally less expensive, means that any and all claims need to be first submitted to any other health insurance provider you may have. Does not matter if the Primary provides any coverage or not. The Primary MUST officially deny all or any part of claim,,,,,,, then you submit to secondary and they pay any reimbursement you are entitled to in accordance with the plan policy.

For example

You buy primary thru ABC.

You break your leg in Cozumel. Go to the hospital. The set the break and put you in cast. You pay bill with credit card.

You get home, you file a claim for reimbursement directly with ABC. A couple of weeks later, ABC sends you a check.

You buy secondary with XYZ.

Same broken leg.

You come home and file for reimbursement with your normal health insurance provider.

Lucky you, you have coverage. They reimburse you max allowed of up 50% of your claimed amount. You send that documentation to XYZ, fill out their paperwork, they send you a check for the remaining 50%.

Now, if your normal insurance provider has Zero coverage, you send that claim denial into XYZ, now they send a check up to max covered amount.

Excellent and succinct summary of the two (different) products - thank you.

A larger point: insurers - the house - take our bet that we might incur medical costs when abroad. The house - insurers - know far more than we do about actuarial tables on accidents, claims and payouts and have shrewdly crafted their policy exclusions to minimize the financial pain on the company's side.

As consumers, caveat emptor. Know the product, understand where gaps in coverage exist, do business with a reputable agency that has vetted insurers that honor their commitments and...hope for the best while on your trip!

Archived